The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

vaping at bars

Discussion in 'E-Cigarettes in Public' started by cjaholic, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. JMarca

JMarca E-Cig Afficionado Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    New York
    Vaporizer is a pretty poor name but e-cig is worse, you wonder why we can't separate traditional smoking with e-cigs? Start dissecting the name itself, that said smoking or vaping in doors should be handled on a case by case basis. The two have nothing to do with each other in terms that there might be places where you can vape but cannot smoke or maybe even vise versa, but you should always follow the rules of the establishment.

2. vape0351

vape0351 Full Member Verified Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Brooklyn
    Not necessarily. I work security at a popular brooklyn nightclub, never kicked anyone out for vaping even though technically I would be in the right. I used to ask them to stop and take it to the smoking area but now that I'm in the hobby I don't even do that anymore.
    When I asked the head of security what to do with a situation like that he shrugged and said "nothing unless they're vaping something besides nicotine"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Canadian_Vaper

Canadian_Vaper Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    My brother is a bouncer at a popular nightclub in my area, he's a non-smoker non-vaper, I asked him about it, he said they haven't banned it but if people start blowing huge clouds to ask them to turn it down or take it outside.

4. JMarca

JMarca E-Cig Afficionado Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    New York
    Most places in NYC would NOT give you the boot.

Fixed that for you trust me alot of places encourage and embrace it, good business is good business.

5. CasketWeaver

CasketWeaver Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    I just don't vape indoors at public places (with the exception of a vape lounge)... period. Unless there is a sign that says "E-Cigs Allowed", if I need to have a vape, I step outside into the designated smoking area and vape. I do that for multiple reasons. I get asked a lot what it is I'm doing by the cigarette smokers while I'm outside vaping and I answer their questions. Second, I don't know who will look oddly or find me rude for vaping indoors - as we need to be cautious and wary of that. And although most flavors I vape may not be offensive to some, it may be offensive to others. As I vape mostly desserts (custards, creams, and a little fruit), citrus flavors, cinnamons, and from time to time... tobacco flavors. I also pack a setup that's small and doesn't generate huge clouds because I'm not going to a cloud competition, I'm going to a bar, a pool hall, a bowling alley, a diner, etc. And I'd rather NOT set the example that ALL vapers are cloud chasers.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CleoPhoenix

CleoPhoenix Senior Member Verified Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    Agreed, and I don't care for the extra attention. The clouds shall roll in less public areas though. :)

7. Atchafalaya

Atchafalaya Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Central Texas
    I know in New Orleans proper vaping is now banned indoors. But the surrounding areas it is not. Such as Kenner.

8. Konstantinos Voultsos

Konstantinos Voultsos Full Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Greece
    My parents visited NYC last January and were surprised at the tiny amount of people they saw smoking. They were astonished to see NONE vaping. Have laws been enforced there that ban vaping indoors in all places there? That is as I am planning to visit NYC come January.

I live in Greece and the legislation here is from hazy to non-existent. This covers smoking, as you will find people smoking in bars,cafes,clubs and our very own Bouzoukia (big clubs with exclusively live greek pop/folk? music), where after a visit there, even yor underwear will stink of cigarette smoke. So yeah, vaping is permitted everywhere :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. CasketWeaver

CasketWeaver Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    Oh hell yes! In the privacy of my own vehicle - I'll vape box the hell out of it. Or at home in my office - I'll throw atomic clouds all over the place. Anywhere else though... not likely to see me do it.

10. Jman8

Jman8 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I've decided I will only vape indoors and outdoors. All other places are off limits to me. I treat vaping like I do breathing.

11. Mazinny

Mazinny Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2013
    NY
    You are not allowed to vape anywhere you can't smoke ( indoors, and city and state owned parks and beaches ). Enforcement is uneven. I have never heard of any vaper told to stop vaping on the beaches or parks. Individual bar and restaurant owners and managers have asked me to stop vaping on occasion though.

12. Mazinny

Mazinny Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2013
    NY
    Up until recently i played in an amateur pool league twice a week in different bars and pool halls. In my experience it is very close to 50/50, the number of places that enforce the law. It depends on a number of factors including how much vapor you exhale, ventilation, other patrons complaining, the individual manager in charge etc ...

13. BobbyGWurd

BobbyGWurd Full Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Calgary, Canada
    When the law was by-law was passed in my city banning vaping from the same places smoking is banned (including in bars), it was done so because many people found it to be a "nuisance." As much as I'm behind vaping and how it has saved me from analogs, I can understand why. Some juices are kinda stinky, especially if you aren't the one vaping them. Also, the general public is still mostly unsure what is in those vape clouds.

I know this isn't exactly what you were talking about, but maybe it adds a little insight to what business owners might be thinking.

14. Jman8

Jman8 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    People's exhaled breath be kinda stinky, and a (little more than a) nuisance when it contains germs with cold bugs in it. If masses aren't wearing mouth filter to cover that, I (rightfully) presume vaping has got to be allowed there. If not, then on what basis?

15. markwilson

markwilson New Member

Jan 15, 2016
  16. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    Because the smokers are smoking outside.

Would you have felt better if the owner asked you to go outside to vape?

I think it was incredibly nice of them to allow you to remain indoors, on a special occassion for you, and continue to vape. Most restaurants wouldn't have been so accommodating, actually.

17. Racehorse

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    No, start dissecting the vast amount of damage the anti-smoking campaigners did for 20+ years.

Every place they made it their "purpose in life" to make sure nobody could smoke even in outdoor areas, or even in their own apartments, is just following us.

It wouldn't matter what you called these, PVs, vaporizers, ecigs, etc. It looks like smoking,

OR the smell/flavorings may give somebody a headache (that's all it took for some of the most rabid anti smoking campaigners to decide to make the world "safe" from cig smoke).

18. Racehorse

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    When you are in areas where most people gave up smoking a long time ago, they are probably not going to be vaping because they are not trying to quit smoking.

The majority of vapers I believe are still those trying to switch to vaping from cigs, pipes, cigars, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.