Vaping Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkByD3sign

Nov 2, 2018
Hi all,

First time posting so please be gentle :)

I'm hoping to get a bit of information as to whether it is possible to vape without nicotine. I'm an ex smoker and have recently completely quit but still find that my hands are always lost miss the feeling of holding something. I'm thinking of trialling vaping to see how that works out.

Would anyone be able to offer me any advice on a starting kit (non nicotine) and any kit to look out for?

Thanks in advance.

DarkByD3sign

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a bit of information as to whether it is possible to vape without nicotine. I'm an ex smoker and have recently completely quit but still find that my hands are always lost miss the feeling of holding something. I'm thinking of trialling vaping to see how that works out.

Would anyone be able to offer me any advice on a starting kit (non nicotine) and any kit to look out for?

Thanks in advance.

DarkByD3sign

Any hardware you can buy will work with zero nic juice. So you just have to find a supplier of zero nic juice. I believe vape shops should stock it. If not there are innumerable on-line suppliers who do.

That's the answer to your primary question of whether it's possible. I'm sure you will get suggestions for equipment to start up with and sources for juice.

My wife started vaping several months after she quit smoking using Chantix. She was suffering from withdrawal when life got stressful. She used zero nic for several years, it did the job for her. She did startd using nic again recently.

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Hi and welcome!

Absolutely you can vape with no nicotine! I personally don't, but there are many who do. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for in terms of a kit/setup. There are many to choose from. I haven't bought any new gear for quite a while myself, but if you get a closed system (this means that you have to buy refills from the company that made your system) make sure they offer a 0 nic option. I use an open system however. This means I have tank that I can refill with whatever eliquid I want to put in it. If you go open system, just buy 0 nic liquid in the flavor of your choice (right now there are tons). Like I said, I haven't bought any new gear in quite a long time, hopefully someone a little more in the loop will chime in here with more info for you, there's a lot of friendly, helpful folks here.

Good luck!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to read about the various options first, since vaping is totally scalable, the choice you have can be overwhelming. The main thing to remember is, part of vaping is all about you the vaper, being in control and the freedom to tailor the right kit that will fit your needs.
Kanger EVOD 2 Starter Kit could be the best two for one offer out there. You get two complete mods which gives you an emergency backup.
re: Kanger EVOD Starter Kit - Authentic Kangertech™ - Vapor Authority
Kanger EVOD 2 Starter Kit
The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
http://ecigclopedia.com/6-quick-useful-vaping-tips-for-beginners/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    Have you tried chewing gum, sunflower seeds, etc.. if you've quit smoking already, starting up vaping might not be the best course. Tough it's a safer alternative, it still isn't 100 percent safe. Are you into blowing clouds or something with a tighter draw like the ciggs? Might help if we knew.

Reactions: DarkByD3sign

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    I agree with kickingthe, a vape device may over time create habits that so closely mimic smoking that one day you cave in and light one up.

Small lollipops like dum-dums can take the place of a few habits you used to do with a tobacco stick.

If you do vape, a refillable pod would provide a similar experience but not shaped like a round, white paper'd smells oh so good when lit device.

Vape shops often are run by former smokers and love to help out new folks.

Welcome to ecf by the way.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Vaping mimics the hand-to-mouth behavior and for others it replicates the need to inhale/exhale behavior that a cigarette provides.

You don't have to use nicotine in your e-liquid. Nearly all shops sell 0% nic e-liquid. But you still get to enjoy flavors.

There's a wide variety of vaping setups covered in this blog: Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Hi all,

DarkByD3sign

Gentle? But of course, they call me "Gentle Axiom" lol ...... Congrats on the quitting smoking! Yes, you can vape with zero nicotine involved and still enjoy many of the physical sensations of smoking.

DarkByD3sign

Nov 2, 2018
    Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. Your posts are very informative and have given me a lot of needed information.

In terms of a beginners device is there any recommendations - I'm not looking for the type that looks like a credit card, I'd prefer to have something with a seethrough chamber so I can see how much liquid is left.

Ive been recommended either Innokin EZ Watt, Innokin Proton Plex or Exceed D19? Would you recommend them or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ceejay0875

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    In terms of a beginners device is there any recommendations - I'm not looking for the type that looks like a credit card, I'd prefer to have something with a seethrough chamber so I can see how much liquid is left.
    Looks like a credit card? I must have missed those. Maybe you are trying to describe a pod mod?

Most eGo battery devices and "mods" use a "tank" which holds both the e-liquid and the heating coil (atomizer) and have a glass window to see the e-liquid. These tanks are usually called a clearomizer.

Ive been recommended either Innokin EZ Watt, Innokin Proton Plex or Exceed D19? Would you recommend them or something else?
    I'm not familiar with any of those except maybe the Innokin Proton. Let me do some research...in the meantime, read the above link.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Innokin EZ Watt is an AIO (all-in-one) battery device and tank. The main downside to this setup is the tank is permanently fixed (not removeable) to the battery device. What if you break the glass on the tank or don't like the tank at all? It can't be removed to try a different tank, so in effect you'll need an entire new setup. The wattage range is also quite limited to three preselected wattage ranges. You can do a lot better than this setup.

Innokin Proton Plex is feature-rich full scale mod. It uses 2 external high drain 18650 batteries, so you'll need to purchase a Li-ion battery charger, too. Feature set that will be there as you advance as a vaper. Variable wattage control 2 - 235 watts. Wattage and Temperature Control. Battery voltage indicator and ohm resistance meter included. Kit includes a much better, removeable tank. A much better choice than the EZ Watt in my opinion.

Exceed D19 is another AIO battery device with a non-removeable tank. No variable wattage available, only one fixed voltage. Same downsides as the EZ Watt concerning the tank.

The EZ Watt and Exceed D19 are extremely limited in their ability to change the quality of your vaping experience. Everyone's vaping preference is different, and these two devices restrict your ability to try different styles. Real variable wattage is an extremelely important feature, because as a new vaper you're not yet aware of what you like. Often a poor vape can be enhanced by adjusting the wattage output, and you can't really do that with these two.

Last edited:

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    Credit card pod is likely the Suorin Air.
    Yeah, that one is a niche unit and not great at being reliable.

A 'pen' style may be a good choice. Trouble is there's like a million choices these days.

Something small to keep handy and yet can get a tastey puff from. Old school'rs use e-go, evod and Aspire PockeX to name a few.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
    Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    Hi - There's nothing wrong with starting simple. I tried an Exceed (briefly) and quite liked it. It does have adjustable airflow, unlike the PockeX.

Whatever you end up with, outgrowing it quickly isn't such a waste - you'll have a backup device.

EDIT: Innokin have updated one of their popular starter kits and it looks… fairly okayish. Adjustable airflow and you can vary the power a bit.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread