Vaping in public - post media blitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
So I'm walking across the parking lot yesterday, vaping with my trusty ProVari Ti3. The looks I was getting were unbelievable. You'd think I was dragging a puppy by its hind legs. The anti-vape media blitz has successfully achieved its intended purpose. One woman was watching the vapor plums, as though I were releasing cyanide into the atmosphere. A visible visceral reaction. It was quite funny, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if "they" elevate the daily rhetoric; by declaring vaping a public health hazard. I suppose we'll soon need to switch to something safe, like... oh, I don't know... cigarettes?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm worried more about the media relationship between vaping and illegal THC.. I'm kind of worried people will now think I'm some kind of druggy..

But I'm figuring screw it anyway.. us vaping and not dying on the evening news is likely what is called for most in these troubling times.. Show them that there is a form of vaping that doesn't kill anyone and isn't dangerous.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Vaping nic in public right now, is kinda like wearing flannels after the school shootings started up in the late 90's. Neither nic vaping nor flannels are responsible for what they are being blamed for, but the guilt by association due to public perception is a real pita.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
At 6'2" and 200 lb. with long hair and a beard, I don't get too many people that want to make comments about it.
Sometimes when I stand up and catch my beard in my belt buckle, I think now is the time I'm cutting it off. Then a moment later I'm out in public and people will pretend to not look, much less say anything about the vape, and I think yeah not today LOL.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Vaping nic in public right now, is kinda like wearing flannels after the school shootings started up in the late 90's. Neither nic vaping nor flannels are responsible for what they are being blamed for, but the guilt by association due to public perception is a real pita.
They are referred to as "lemmings" and "sheeple".

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Sometimes when I stand up and catch my beard in my belt buckle, I think now is the time I'm cutting it off. Then a moment later I'm out in public and people will pretend to not look, much less say anything about the vape, and I think yeah not today LOL.

My husband has a long beard he doesn't trim or cut either.. He says its like being in a private "club" because whenever other bearded guys see one another in public they always say hey..

lol.

lopenator

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
New York
So I'm walking across the parking lot yesterday, vaping with my trusty ProVari Ti3. The looks I was getting were unbelievable. You'd think I was dragging a puppy by its hind legs. The anti-vape media blitz has successfully achieved its intended purpose. One woman was watching the vapor plums, as though I were releasing cyanide into the atmosphere. A visible visceral reaction. It was quite funny, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if "they" elevate the daily rhetoric; by declaring vaping a public health hazard. I suppose we'll soon need to switch to something safe, like... oh, I don't know... cigarettes?
I vape in the streets of NYC all the time. People give me looks all the time, and when I notice them looking, I make sure to blow an even larger cloud.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The way to combat this insanity is for more of us, all of us, to become inescapably visible. Let's try immersion therapy. That way they can argue with their lying eyes when we're not all dropping in the streets like dead flies.

Passive resistance in our closets has never been the answer.

Nuke 'em. Only way to be sure.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

DDDWho

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2016
I was in the hospital a couple of years ago, as I was being discharged an aid of some sort saw the top of my unit in the narrow side pocket of the carpenter shorts I was wearing. She said to me "If they see that they'll take it away from you" to which I replied "they'll pay me for it too". I kept it in the drawer of the bed table when I was a patient, as long as the cloud cleared no one ever knew.
In a Walmart one day an "associate" saw my puffing and said "you can't do that in here". I continued when he was out of sight.
My juice, being just menthol does not have much of an odor. "Sorta sweet" one person has told me.
We took a bus tour into Mexico last year. "No smoking or vaping on the bus" the brochure said. Paying no attention I vaped on the bus. I'd blow the steam towards the floor. One time the tour guide was setting right in front of me and didn't smell or see a thing as I puffed away. None of the 50 ppl on the bus noticed.
The media is the reason ppl think it's harmful. Things will not change much if only to get worse for us.

I'm going to edit to say:
There is a large portion of the population that is continually upset because they think someone somewhere is enjoying them selves. The war on cigarettes was not entirely for health reasons.... People hated others enjoying something. As vaping became a safe alternative the hatred magnified and those ppl cant stand it. The reaction is more intense.... The concept of "live and let live" never occurs to them.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've had a few people come up to me and ask aren't people dying from vaping? I ask them if they have a few minutes and I'll explain what's really going on. If they stay and listen, I think I convinced them that its mostly poor reporting of the facts. If they don't stay, its not my problem.

A couple of school age kids yelled out at me from a parking lot that I shouldn't be vaping or I'll die. To them I just said, "You're right, no one should vape or smoke."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread