vaping in the mouth without inhaling into lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzee

Jan 6, 2014
Kuwait
Ive searched about this subject, found few posts but none had my question that I wanted to ask, most of them ask if the nicotine will be absorbed, and I know for fact that it is because I don't feel that I want to smoke analogs when I use my e-cig only in the mouth, sometimes I swallow and get the vapor out of my nose but I never inhale into my lungs.

My question is, even though most people think that vaping and e-cigs aren't too bad for the human body, some speculate that its' too early to say and not enough studies or experience is yet out about the long term effect of e-cigs, and in reality this sounds reasonable because e-cigs are pretty new to the market, none in the world been vaping e-cigs for 50+ years to know for fact that it's not too bad, even though most people see the ingredient and say that it's for sure not as bad as the real cigs/analogs, with all the bad chemicals that real cigs have, still you don't know for fact that e-cigs are better just because it has less chemicals or ingredient.

Anyway my question is, if I vape just from the mouth, will this decrease the negative effect of whatever it might cause of the human body? like for example if there is bad coming out of e-cigs (metaphorically), will vaping from the mouth and not inhaling would be safer than if you would inhale the vape inside of your lungs, or is it the same?

I ask this because if its the same, then I would like to inhale it actually and not go through all of this, but if it would result in safer use then i will get used to just vape in my mouth then tossing it out for just a little fix of nic.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I do it. Then exhale through the nose. Probably the maximum flavor for whatever setup.

You inhale via the mouth that can go to the lungs. Exhaling through the nose let's the vapor collect on the hairs and the nicotine gets in very well that way.

Doing it this way takes away the TH, but, for me, flavor and nic absorption increase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woofer

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
You can not deny excess can possibly be cumulative. You can inhale through the mouth then using Pipe smoking circular breathing, like FrenchFry stated above, the nicotine is absorbed in the mouth and sinuses, no need to inhale and still get plenty of nicotine. Takes practice to get it down, I use a modified version like pbusardo, draw into my mouth, inhale that, take another draw, breathing out my nose, inhale second hit and exhale through my nose when I mostly MTL. I do sub-ohm a bit and direct to lung with those but most of the day I am MTL, and have had no adverse affects doing so, and satisfies my cravings just fine.

Hope that helped a bit.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Yes, I might not have suffered any serious illness smoking for 53 yrs because I (for the most part) was not inhaling into the lungs. Only during the last two yrs of smoking was I beginning to cough from my 2 pack a day habit. Some smoke obviously made its way into my lungs. I had no idea I was doing this as no one discussed smoking techniques. We just smoked!

I started vaping like I smoked which is inhale into mouth and back out..... or up and out through nose. I get the nicotine I need absorbed by the soft tissue and hit all the flavor receptors required to keep me satisfied. I think of the lungs as inflatable storage tanks to park enough vapor to possibly win in a vape contest. Ha! :)

panzee

Jan 6, 2014
Kuwait
Yes, I might not have suffered any serious illness smoking for 53 yrs because I (for the most part) was not inhaling into the lungs. Only during the last two yrs of smoking was I beginning to cough from my 2 pack a day habit. Some smoke obviously made its way into my lungs. I had no idea I was doing this as no one discussed smoking techniques. We just smoked!

I started vaping like I smoked which is inhale into mouth and back out..... or up and out through nose. I get the nicotine I need absorbed by the soft tissue and hit all the flavor receptors required to keep me satisfied. I think of the lungs as inflatable storage tanks to park enough vapor to possibly win in a vape contest. Ha! :)

hmmmm, this is interesting, you smoked for 53 yrs and 2 pack a day all in the mouth and without inhaling into your lungs? and nobody told you that cigs are suppose to be inhaled? i'm really curious about this. but in the same time its really a nice thing that nobody taught you because you didn't damage your lungs, anyways. now you vape the same way, do you think that your lungs are healthier than way, have you ever inhaled vape into the lungs or not?

Reactions: David Wolf

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Well, Panzee, how would anyone know I wasn't inhaling cigarette smoke into my lungs? Also, back then, there were no forums to discuss such things. People were a bit more reserved and didn't inquire about personal habits so much. Even my best gal buddies who all smoked did not ask..... nor I them. I can picture them now from 45 yrs ago putting the cigarette to their lips, inhaling into mouth and blowing the smoke out. Never occurred to me to ask if they inhaled into their lungs.

I wasn't taught to smoke. Just copied what most of my relatives did. Think I coughed hugely my first lung inhale and might have decided right then it wasn't the right way to do it. Ha!

I have inhaled smoke as well as vapor into my lungs. Not typical of me though. Trying to figure out why. Maybe during times of stress......or navel gazing? Ha! :)

Reactions: pluviose

pluviose

Oct 30, 2015
Ireland / UK

Same here, for almost 30 years. Never really lunged it, just played around with the flavour in the mouth. Could be the reason why i haven't experienced much ill-effects health-wise, except the odd morning-cough in the last year or so, before i stopped smoking / started vaping 3 weeks ago. (I did it instantly, to my total surprise.)

I was rolling in the past 3 - 4 years, which was a much cleaner taste than the marlboro lights i smoked before, but still a tar soup compared to vape.

panzee

Jan 6, 2014
Kuwait
Thanks for all the responses, I didn't know alot of you vape only through the mouth like me....ive been doing it for the past week (since I started vaping) , because my lung really needs a break from all the analogs ive put into it for the past 20 years.

can someone just tell me how much of safer it would be to do this with vapor and not inhale it, or is it the same in terms of illness

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for all the responses, I didn't know alot of you vape only through the mouth like me....ive been doing it for the past week (since I started vaping) , because my lung really needs a break from all the analogs ive put into it for the past 20 years.

can someone just tell me how much of safer it would be to do this with vapor and not inhale it, or is it the same in terms of illness

Well, according to Public Health England, vaping is at least 95% safer than smoking--in terms of your health. But it's not 100% safe--there are still many unknowns, especially when it comes to flavorings, sweeteners and other additives in our e-juices. PG and VG and a little nicotine are generally considered safe for inhalation.

Flavorings are considered GRAS (generally regarded as safe) for human consumption, but have not been evaluated for inhalation. So as long as you don't inhale, you're as safe as you can be with vaping. If you want to inhale and be as safe as possible, try vaping unflavored (just PG, VG and nicotine) or very lightly flavored, clear, clean eliquids. And keep your wattage low.

Good luck!

panzee

Jan 6, 2014
Kuwait
Well, according to Public Health England, vaping is at least 95% safer than smoking--in terms of your health. But it's not 100% safe--there are still many unknowns, especially when it comes to flavorings, sweeteners and other additives in our e-juices. PG and VG and a little nicotine are generally considered safe for inhalation.

Flavorings are considered GRAS (generally regarded as safe) for human consumption, but have not been evaluated for inhalation. So as long as you don't inhale, you're as safe as you can be with vaping. If you want to inhale and be as safe as possible, try vaping unflavored (just PG, VG and nicotine) or very lightly flavored, clear, clean eliquids. And keep your wattage low.

Good luck!

thanks for the information, it is really helpful, your last sentence made me think of something, when you said "keep your wattage low" as in, keep the heater that heats the juice on low? well I saw some ecigs have this option, but my ecig doesn't have option to increase or lower the watt of the heater, is that what you meant by keeping wattage low? two questions about this, what is a good wattage that you consider is optimal for safety, and the second question what could happen if someone has a higher than normal wattage, just for my curiosity i wanted to know this, thanks.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It really depends on your setup. First of all, what are you using? What kind of mod and topper? It will be easier for me to answer your question when I know what we are talking about specifically.

Other than that, maybe this will help you understand the relationship between watts, volts and ohms:

Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8 watts) and use stock coils.

Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 watts per coil. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) or dry with your clearomizers.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

If you are using dual coil atomizers, things get a bit more confusing. Dual coil atties consist of two coils configured in parallel, which means that a 2.1Ω atty is really two 4.2Ω coils--so you have to calculate your wattage based on the 4.2Ω number--not 2.1Ω--roughly. Dual coil atties require more wattage than singles, but not quite twice as much. They produce more vapor due to increased surface. I usually increase the power (wattage) by ~50% when using dual coils; for example, if I like 6 watts with a single coil atty, I start at 8-9 watts with a dual coil atty. That's just my preference--YMMV. When in doubt--start low and adjust up as needed.

If you are interested in high wattage (and/or sub-ohm)vaping, that's a different conversation altogether--and not my area of expertise. :)

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative.

e-cigarette-volts-ohms-watts.png

panzee

Jan 6, 2014
Kuwait
It really depends on your setup. First of all, what are you using? What kind of mod and topper? It will be easier for me to answer your question when I know what we are talking about specifically.

Katya very nice detailed post, but I'm really new and can't figure out my device use of power, you asked me what I was using, ill post here. i'm using a chinese ecig brand coming from dekang, called boge 9510 ecig its a blue ecig that look like the normal analogs, here's a link of its picture.

Mini sigaretta elettronica Boge 9510 kit

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Katya very nice detailed post, but I'm really new and can't figure out my device use of power, you asked me what I was using, ill post here. i'm using a chinese ecig brand coming from dekang, called boge 9510 ecig its a blue ecig that look like the normal analogs, here's a link of its picture.

Mini sigaretta elettronica Boge 9510 kit

Ok, the link helps a lot. What you have is a regular "cigalike" battery with 3Ω Boge cartomizers. I started vaping with a similar setup. Since your battery comes with set voltage, probably 3.4-3.5 volts if regulated or 3.7v if unregulated, you're vaping at 4.3 watts. That's very low by today's standards, but if you're happy with it, I see no problems whatsoever.

If you feel like you need a bit more oomph from your setup, see if you can find low resistance Boge or Smoktech cartomizers (2.2-2.4Ω), they should work a bit better with your batteries.

Last edited:

Skoutariotis

Dec 10, 2015

Other than that, maybe this will help you understand the relationship between watts, volts and ohms:

Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8 watts) and use stock coils.

Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 watts per coil. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) or dry with your clearomizers.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

If you are using dual coil atomizers, things get a bit more confusing. Dual coil atties consist of two coils configured in parallel, which means that a 2.1Ω atty is really two 4.2Ω coils--so you have to calculate your wattage based on the 4.2Ω number--not 2.1Ω--roughly. Dual coil atties require more wattage than singles, but not quite twice as much. They produce more vapor due to increased surface. I usually increase the power (wattage) by ~50% when using dual coils; for example, if I like 6 watts with a single coil atty, I start at 8-9 watts with a dual coil atty. That's just my preference--YMMV. When in doubt--start low and adjust up as needed.

If you are interested in high wattage (and/or sub-ohm)vaping, that's a different conversation altogether--and not my area of expertise. :)

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative.

e-cigarette-volts-ohms-watts.png
I'm the new kid on the block (this forum, not vaping & not a vet on that either), and this is my very first post!
A two line intro. Never smoked cigarettes. Smoked cigars for a year or so, still do once in a while.
I smoke hookah mostly and when cold or away, I vape! My shisha AND ejuice are both zero nicotine, I don't need it.
First of, thanks for the info and the power, etc...
Well, according to your chart, my (cheap) ecig (eGo One Mega by Joytech) with a fixed coil (1 ohm) and seems to be (according to mfg) running at about 3.3 volts. That's 10.89 watts. According to your recommendations this would be BAD. Would a company do this? It smokes just fine, I'm happy!
EDIT "I just found a site that actually specifies the operating voltage, 4.2 volts, that's even worse, 17.64 watts. I assumed it was 3.3 since it's the low voltage shutoff of the device."
Just saying!
Thnx!

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Skout and welcome to the forum! And you're welcome--glad to have been of help.

Like I said, the information provided in my post is very basic and pertains to first and (some) second generation stock coils. Your eGo One Mega is a sub-ohm tank; they come with .5 and 1Ω coils, which are built to withstand more wattage, provide more airflow and use thicker (lower gauge) wires than standard (non-sub-ohm) coils.

Cheers!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
.. according to your chart, my (cheap) ecig (eGo One Mega by Joytech) with a fixed coil (1 ohm) and seems to be (according to mfg) running at about 3.3 volts. That's 10.89 watts. According to your recommendations this would be BAD. Would a company do this? It smokes just fine, I'm happy!
EDIT "I just found a site that actually specifies the operating voltage, 4.2 volts, that's even worse, 17.64 watts. I assumed it was 3.3 since it's the low voltage shutoff of the device."
Just saying!
Thnx!

Yes. The eGo one mega will vape at 17.6 watts on a new charged battery.

It's not necessarily bad. It has been designed to work at that power.

Please don't worry. The charts were really helpful but products have improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread