Vaping pre surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

saso81

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey all...looking for a little input from the group. I'm scheduled for surgery at the end of the month and I know you're not supposed to smoke cigarettes before. From what I know its the carbon monoxide or dioxide that can slow the healing process. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with vaping pre or post surgery? I don't think it should matter but i figured it give you guys a shout.

thanks in advance

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Well this is a Big Scary Medical Question - you really should check in with the medical professionals on this one.

Personally, I have not heard this "no smoke" rule regarding pre or post surgical procedures in a general sense. The only context I have seen it come up is with dental work. In that case it's the vasoconstrictive nature of smoking, and it's direct contact with the surgical procedure area, that's the source of concern.

If your MD or surgeon has specifically told you not to smoke in context of your specific medical procedure, it's time to have a chat with them about vaping.

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Back when I smoked, I had radiation and chemo and surgery X 4... and not a single doc told me not to smoke before anything. Sure, they told me to quit as a matter of course, and didn't want me to smoke after, but none before... so that's new to me.

I'd guess it has something to do with blood flow and healing ability or some such... but as I don't even play a doc on TV, I could be way off the mark.

By the by... all my docs were happy to find out I quit butts and took up vaping.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've worked in the operating room for over 30 years. As Rickajho said, your surgeon and anesthesiologist should be aware that you are a vapor.

The problem with smokers and surgery is primarily with anesthesia, and secondarily with tissue healing. Anesthesiologists have to deal with the long term complications that come with smoking: COPD, chronic bronchitis, emphysema. Smokers wake up from anesthesia with thickened airway secretions and often cough violently when waking up. Thickened airway secretions increase the incidence of airway obstruction and aspiration (inhaling stomach contents into the lungs) which can be a life-threatening situation. I've witnessed patients die on the OR table from aspiration or a mucous plug causing an airway obstruction.

Surgically speaking, I can usually easily tell a smoker by the appearance of their tissues, especially their skin. A smoker's skin is much thinner than a non-smoker's. Blood circulation is not optimim to the tissues. Tissues do not heal as quickly or as well in smokers compared to non-smokers. There is a much higher incidence of post-surgery wound breakdown and infection with smokers. In fact, some surgeons will refuse to perform certain elective procedures unless the patient agrees to stop smoking for a period of time prior to the surgery.

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so it will cause capillaries to become less efficient and restrict blood flow to the tissues that they supply. Therefore, nicotine can affect incision healing. This includes delayed or prolonged or other complications in the healing of the incision. If there are other health issues such as diabetes, this further adds to the potential for complications in wound healing. I just recently learned myself that nicotine (in any form) will delay or cease bone growth or healing. So any fractures, spinal fusions, or joint replacement surgeries become compromised if nicotine is consumed during this healing period. This would include, of course, nicotine consumed via vaping.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Another point about why you need to be out in the open about vaping and any surgery requiring anesthesia:

For the rare few of us who have allergic or adverse reactions to PG... PG is the carrier of choice for most anesthesia products. If you think any allergic reaction you had to PG from vaping is bad, you have no idea how debilitating the end result can be from prolonged inhalation during anesthesia.

If you have any reason to believe you have "PG issues" related to vaping get that in your medical record and make sure you give plenty of advance notice to your medical team, long before you show up for surgical admitting. They can do a simple test for adverse reaction and use an alternate, non PG based anesthesia if deemed appropriate. Sourcing it may take a little extra time so please don't spring your concern about a PG allergy on them at the last minute.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Nicotine can actually impair the healing process of the body. Nicotine alkaloids target the smaller blood vessels that extend outward from larger veins. They cause vascular restriction, but for some reason primarily with the small vessels and capillaries. These are crucial for healing through out the body.

-edit-I should completely read threads, so I don't waste my time explaining things already explained.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread