Vaping Side Effects That We Consider Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
Hello, It's been 95 days since I had my last cigarette. I still find it hard to believe that some people can say "cigarettes smell and taste disgusting" after only quitting for a little while, because I still love the way some cigarettes smell as I'm passing by someone.

Anyways, some side effects since I've switched to vaping are more acne, canker sores, and a sore thumb (but that's to blame on my Itaste MVP). I also get these bumps on my skin (I suppose it could be acne) similar to the ones I get sometimes when I've been eating junk and drinking soda all weekend, after long weekend vape sessions.

Everyone says "that's just normal from your body adjusting to the vaping." Yes, that is probably true, but it seems a bit unusual that supposed benign ingredients such as propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin would cause this reaction in so many of us.

I continue to have more acne even after 3 months now. I got a canker sore my third week directly where the tip of my protank would enter my lip. I had to switch sides, and the sore didn't go away until about 2 weeks after. It seems as if the inside of my mouth is more sensitive now because when I accidently bit somewhere, there's immediately a sore in there for days.

I know vaping is "a heck of a lot better than smoking," but benign chemicals shouldn't be causing any reactions. You probably wouldn't get acne from quitting cigarettes and nicotine altogether would you? You would think that going from 1100 contaminants in cigarettes including tar and pesticides would make your skin look better not worse!

Also, food preservatives aren't good for you either, so it's not like vegetable glycerin is the best thing to be putting into our bodies. Are there any other common side effects that i may be missing?

Last edited:

Larry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Amarillo, Texas
The effects you're experiencing (except maybe the canker sores) are most likely side effects from quitting smoking cigarettes rather than from vaping itself. Yes, it's all normal and you would have experienced them even if you hadn't started vaping. It's your body ridding itself of the toxins you built up from smoking the stinkies.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
You missed a bunch of them. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

I have the same problem with the sores that you do. For me it's from when some of the condensation from the drip tip gets in my mouth or on my lip. I now have a large collection of Q-Tips. It's simply a sensitivity I have. I've learned to rinse my mouth immediately if it happens and that seems to prevent most problems. Haven't had the biting myself problem but read that link and it will explain some of your problems. My problems dragged on longer than most peoples but they did eventually go away. We're all different. Hang in there, it will get better.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
I've used 2 brands and I've had 20/80 and 50/50 concentrations. I have the same side effects, except when I ADV a 50/50 I have to clear my throat on occasion like I used to when I smoked cigarettes. Slightly concerning on that, but it makes sense that throat hit would cause more throat irritation. I wouldn't call that a side effect.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
You missed a bunch of them. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

I have the same problem with the sores that you do. For me it's from when some of the condensation from the drip tip gets in my mouth or on my lip. I now have a large collection of Q-Tips. It's simply a sensitivity I have. I've learned to rinse my mouth immediately if it happens and that seems to prevent most problems. Haven't had the biting myself problem but read that link and it will explain some of your problems. My problems dragged on longer than most peoples but they did eventually go away. We're all different. Hang in there, it will get better.

Thanks, I agree whole heartedly that vaping is much safer than smoking. However, often times people I know will see me vaping then the comment "you know those things are just as bad as smoking" comes out. They are definitely wrong, but I'm less comfortable telling people that vaping is "safe" when I have had noticeable side effects from it.

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
canker sore could be caused because your mouth is healing from the hot smoke you used to use. Also please drink more water not beer. Hydrate hydrate hydrate.

That is crazy talk.

I am wondering if maybe you are getting mouth sores due to your protank spitting juice out the tip, a problem I had with mine minus the sores but you may be more sensitive to it. I could feel hot juice hitting my tongue and cheeks every so often. The main reason I switched to cartotanks and then to kayfuns.

Other than dry mouth alot I have had no other negative side effects so far. Oh and a new bad habit of getting top much nicotine when I get a new flavor.

I have "tried" to quite smoking in the past, without the benefit of vaping, and had the exact same side effects.

My doctor explained to me that the sores in my mouth were from:

"the smoke and chemicals used to kill the bacteria in your mouth so you body didn't need to produce a lot of acids in your saliva, now there is nothing there to kill the bacteria. So until your body adjusts and starts to produce the proper amount of acids you will have sores. The acne is from the fact that your blood circulation is now getting back to normal and the oils and toxins are leaving your skin causing the pimples."

I think it makes sense, at least it seems logical. BTW I have been vaping for a while now and have sores and pimples as well and it doesn't matter what juice I use.

Hope this helps

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

Look, nobody here is a doctor. All the info on side effects is anecdotal.

Please please please keep in mind that many of the descriptions of side effects also match descriptions of some very serious medical conditions.

ANY, and I repeat ANY kind of mouth, lip, tongue, throat etc. changes in ANY former smoker is cause to see a doctor.

To link it coincidentally to vaping could very well leave a former smoker, now turned vaper, in an undiagnosed state with a serious condition.

Please see your oral care provider, and/or primary care physician, if any major or truly uncomfortable changes happen, because as former smokers we are all *at risk* for smoking-related diseases.

A for instance: I did have many side effects like severe muscle cramps, (now I know it's from PG) BUT that kind of thing in legs, at my age, could be a sign of peripheral artery disease, esp. in an ex smoker. Which is a very serious condition.

So, we all can tell others some anecdotal stuff, but it's not *medical advice* and everyone here should consult a real doctor. Throat or coughing problems could be throat cancer, which actually happened to a friend of mine who is an ex smoker, and he kept thinking it was because he had quit smoking (he's not a vaper) and it wasn't and that was just COINCIDENTAL.

Thank goodness he went to a doctor, or he might not be alive today.

faile

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Indiana
*snip*

I know vaping is "a heck of a lot better than smoking," but benign chemicals shouldn't be causing any reactions. You probably wouldn't get acne from quitting cigarettes and nicotine altogether would you? You would think that going from 1100 contaminants in cigarettes including tar and pesticides would make your skin look better not worse!

*snip*

(Underline mine)

Actually, yes you would. Not in every case, but it is a pretty well-documented side effect of quitting smoking. (Sorry, toddler is spazzing around atm, so no time to dig up relevant links for you.) Your body is probably detoxing from those thousands of contaminants, and it's all gotta go somewhere. However, if you're worried, please do see a doctor.

Last edited:

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
That is crazy talk.

Other than dry mouth alot I have had no other negative side effects so far. Oh and a new bad habit of getting top much nicotine when I get a new flavor.

I have that issue every time I recoil my tank. When you're priming the wick, you have to take a lot of puffs at low voltages and work your way up. I change my coil every time I change juices to prevent flavor carry over. I get pretty light headed after testing a few flavors. I've had bad luck with cartomizers. Never could get one to work correctly, and don't care to learn because I'm a clearomizer tank kind of guy.

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Smoking masks illnesses. Many illnesses come to light when quitting smoking. Doesn't matter how you quit smoking. Kinda makes sense when you think about the 1,000 of chemicals inside a smoke.

Just don't drink the liquid. I used to like tasting the drips of liquid. After a week or two I had the worst indigestion, I ever had.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
About a week and a half after I started vaping I had terrible stomach cramps for 2-3 days. Finally went away.

Smoking masks illnesses. Many illnesses come to light when quitting smoking. Doesn't matter how you quit smoking. Kinda makes sense when you think about the 1,000 of chemicals inside a smoke.

Just don't drink the liquid. I used to like tasting the drips of liquid. After a week or two I had the worst indigestion, I ever had.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Thanks, I agree whole heartedly that vaping is much safer than smoking. However, often times people I know will see me vaping then the comment "you know those things are just as bad as smoking" comes out. They are definitely wrong, but I'm less comfortable telling people that vaping is "safe" when I have had noticeable side effects from it.
Vaping is far safer than smoking as far as we know. No long term studies have been done but it does look very promising.

Coming back into the office yesterday after a visit to the Smoker's Tree I inadvertently let out a long, massive, wonderfully textured belch. It felt wonderful! Apologized profusely. Some juices man...

Hmm, my problem is belching out the other end.

Look, nobody here is a doctor. All the info on side effects is anecdotal.

Please please please keep in mind that many of the descriptions of side effects also match descriptions of some very serious medical conditions.

ANY, and I repeat ANY kind of mouth, lip, tongue, throat etc. changes in ANY former smoker is cause to see a doctor.

To link it coincidentally to vaping could very well leave a former smoker, now turned vaper, in an undiagnosed state with a serious condition.

Please see your oral care provider, and/or primary care physician, if any major or truly uncomfortable changes happen, because as former smokers we are all *at risk* for smoking-related diseases.

A for instance: I did have many side effects like severe muscle cramps, (now I know it's from PG) BUT that kind of thing in legs, at my age, could be a sign of peripheral artery disease, esp. in an ex smoker. Which is a very serious condition.

So, we all can tell others some anecdotal stuff, but it's not *medical advice* and everyone here should consult a real doctor. Throat or coughing problems could be throat cancer, which actually happened to a friend of mine who is an ex smoker, and he kept thinking it was because he had quit smoking (he's not a vaper) and it wasn't and that was just COINCIDENTAL.

Thank goodness he went to a doctor, or he might not be alive today.

Excellent point. ^^^^^^^^^^ Should go without saying and my bad for not pointing that out up front.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I've suffered serious and disfiguring acne since I was about 11 yrs old; neither quitting smoking nor starting vaping has had any effect on it -- I still get boils, and the occasional zit, though the latter have mercifully decreased sine menopause.

I suffered with dehydration for many, many years, probably due to daily use of my asthma inhaler, which contains PG, and a daily 10-cup-a-day tea habit; that much caffeine really does make you pee more! Vaping made my dehydration worse, to the point that my electrolytes got seriously out of whack, and I got "cankles" and extremely sore, lumpy feet -- increasing potassium and decreasing sodium and caffeine got rid of that problem, and now the water I drink actually stays with me, and does what it's supposed to do; I can tell I need water when I get that "thickness" in my throat and have to clear my throat before speaking.

I suffered a slight exacerbation of my asthma, but that's probably due to losing the "anesthetic" effect of all those chemicals they put into tobacco to make it "smooth;" my asthma isn't worse in terms of congestion, there's actually a GREAT deal less congestion, but when my lungs are struggling, I feel it more, as breathlessness -- which to me means "asthma attack." But the longer I'm off cigarettes, the less my asthma troubles me.

Any big lifestyle change is bound to have effects on the body, and quitting smoking after many years or decades is one of the biggest changes any of us could make. So naturally there will be some 'side effects," it's only to be expected. I'm thankful to have lost the side effect of stinking like an ashtray, and being constantly broke because of buying expensive cigarettes. I do spend a fair amount on vape stuff, but it varies a lot -- on good paydays, I can spend more; on weaker paydays, I can spend less. I didn't have that option with cigarettes; it was $88 twice a month, no matter how bad the paycheck was; something ELSE had to give -- like food.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread