Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
There are many abbreviations of terms that a newer vaper may or may not understand when reading the posts of long-time vapers. A more modern, quick view, listing of what these abbreviations and terms mean was requested so I am doing my best to fulfill that.

All devices made for vaping have a power source which is the battery, that often but not always connects to an electronic board, which then powers an atomizer and vaporizes e-liquid, which is why vaping is called vaping. Its not smoke, its vapor.

Lets go from the top down:

E-liquid or e-juice (same same) is comprised of four main components.

1) VG = Vegetable Glycerin
2) PG = Polypropylene Glycol
3) Nic = Nicotine suspended in either PG or VG (No one buys pure nicotine)
4) Flavorings = Flavor concentrate

Making your own e-liquid at home is called DIY - Do it yourself. Modding is also called DIY.

For DIY abbreviations like (CAP, FLV, FA, TFA and more) see the shopping section located at the end of this index

Flavor Shots = Pre-sweetened Pre-Made Concentrated Flavoring Mixes - just add whatever amount you like to your unflavored DIY mix and the hard work is done. Simple.

Shake and Vape Flavor Concentrates - see Flavor Shots.

SNV Flavor Concentrate - see Flavor Shots.

SNVFC - see Flavor Shots

ADV = all day vape. Used to refer to an e-juice that is great to vape all day and the enjoyment of that vape does not diminish through the use of using that same flavor all day long. Tastes are subjective, so you might not think someone else's ADV is your own.

Steeping - The process of allowing a newly purchased or newly mixed e-liquid to mature and reach its design flavor profile.

Breathing - The process of allowing your newly purchased e-juice open to air in order to evaporate off any alcohol. This is only done if any flavorings were used that were alcohol based.

Shake and Vape
= E-juice that is great to vape the second its been mixed. No Steeping required.

SNV - Shake and Vape

Base - nicotine solution suspended in either PG or VG, comes in a variety of strengths and needs diluted with VG before vaping.

Nic base - See base ^^^

Unflavored e-liquid - a vg/pg and nicotine solution that is ready to vape as soon as you add flavoring to it.

Concentrates - speaking of individual flavor extracts. These are used in eliquid recipes.

mg - Milligrams, the measurement used for nicotine. Example: 6mg means your e-juice has 6mg of nicotine per ml of e-liquid, or 6mg/ml.

ml - milliliters, the measurement for your e-juice.

MTL = Mouth to Lung inhalation technique - common means of inhaling vapor
DL = Direct to lung inhalation technique - common means of inhaling vapor

RL = Restricted Lung inhalation technique - slightly less common means of inhaling vapor. Can utilize attys designed for either the MTL or DL style of vaping, by either getting a MTL tank with more airflow, or a DL tank and closing down the airflow somewhat.

MTN = Mouth to Nose inhalation technique where vapor is drawn into the mouth and then expelled through the nose, the lungs are never involved - less common means of inhaling vapor. Uses tanks designed for the MTL inhalation technique.

TH = Throat Hit. Its the feeling when vapor hits your throat. Some people like more, others much less if any, so its referred to commonly.

Vaper’s Tongue = loss of taste. Usually occurs a for a short time after beginning to vape, and generally lasts a week or so.

Drip tip = the mouth piece portion of your atty, comes in either or two sizes, 510 or 810.

DT = abbreviation for Drip Tip

Atty = Short for atomizer and can mean either the coil assembly alone or the entire assembly including the tank which holds the coil, wick and e-juice.

Coil = the coil element which heats up and vaporizes your e-juice. Here are some pretty ones:

s-l640.jpg

All coils have wick going through them. The most common materials used for wicking are;

Japanese organic cotton - sometimes referred to by a brand name such as Koh Gen Do
KGD- Koh Gen Do, a brand of popular Japanese organic cotton used as a wick for coils
Cotton Bacon which is a medical grade cotton which comes in sheets
Rayon
You will also find ceramic sometimes used in factory coils for wicking as well.

The wick literally wicks the e-juice to the coil so that the e-juice gets vaporized when power goes to the coil and the coil heats up.

The coil and wick together are your atomizer. Factory made replacement atomizer heads come housed in a stainless steel housing, most commonly.

That is your atomizer, but many people, myself included, often mean the entire tank assembly when they speak of your atty.

OCC = Organic Cotton Coil, a coil organic organic cotton for the wick.

RAH - Replacement Atomizer Head.

Drop-in Coil = replacement atomizer head.

Handmade Coil - A coil you built yourself at home.

Factory coil = replacement atomizer head. (Same same)

Pre-Wrapped coil
- A coil that you buy that someone has already wrapped - not handmade by you, it's for use it on an RBA, RTA or RTA etc.

Pre-Built coil
- Interchangeably used with pre-wrapped coil.

Ohm's law formula - V = IR. (V stands for Volts, I stands for current expressed in Amps, and R stands for resistance) Formula Can be manipulated so that if you know any two things the third can be found - in short, its math. Needed for advanced vaping safety.

Ohm's - The resistance of a coil used in the atomizers is defined in ohms, which loosely defines the amount of current the coil will allow to pass through it.

Sub Ohm - In the modern evolution of vaping, it simply means vaping with a coil below 1 ohm. It used to carry a different meaning, but the old meaning is little used these days. Just don't go bragging your a sub ohm vapor to someone whose been vaping for many years if your using a .7 ohm coil on your Pico. They will look at you funny...

Priming = The act of priming the coil with e-juice, making sure your wicking material is fully saturated with e-juice. This is done by physically wetting the cotton or other wicking material, or allowing the atomizer to sit inside a tank full of e-juice for a long enough period of time in order that the cotton becomes fully saturated, or taking what are called priming puffs, which is taking drags off your vape without putting any power to it, or only very low power. Only one can be done, or all three, depending upon the needs of your particular coil.

Pre-heat - A brief period of a powered on state needed by a large or complex coil to reach a temperature that begins producing vapor.

Dry Hit = wicking material burns when its not saturated with e-juice, a dry hit is a drag where there is an inadequate saturation of e-juice on the wicking material.

Burned hit
= the act of inhaling burning cotton. Very bad. Caused by forgetting to prime your coil, or inadequately doing so.

RBA Deck - a deck that screws into a tank that normally takes drop-in coils in order to give you a platform to use your own handmade coils instead of drop-in coils.

RBA - Rebuildable Atomizer. A term encompassing the full range of atomizers that are built or customized by the individual user. Includes RDA's, RTA's and RDTA's.

RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomizer, attys for people who build their own coils

GTA = Genesis Tank Atomizer - A type of RTA.

RDA = Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer, attys for people who build their own coils and don't use a tank, they literally drip e-liquid onto their coil and wicking material every so often.

Dripper - See RDA.

RDTA - Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomizer. A cross between an RDA and an RTA in which the coil build(s) are positioned above a reservoir of e-liquid, but with a removable top cap to allow dripping onto the coil(s).

SRDTA = Squonk Rebuidable Dripping Tank Atomizer. A RDTA with a BF pin made for Squonking.

SRDA
= Squonk Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer. An RDA with a BF pin.

Drop-in tank = an atty that takes factory made coils

Topper = your atomizer tank. (Ive used that before)

Tank = your atomizer tank which has a reservoir for e-juice.

510 - A connection standard made popular by some of the earliest electronic cigarettes. Now includes a standard threading type for almost all mods and atomizers as well as most male/female pressure-fit drip tips. To "clean your 510" means to ensure that there is no e-liquid in the female 510 connector on your mod or gunking up the male connector on your atomizer device.

AFC Ring = Air flow control ring. Its a ring toward the bottom of most modern tanks that allows the user to control the amount of air going to the coil (and thus inhaled) when vaping.

JFC - juice flow control. A means to adjust how much, if any, juice goes to the coil.

Kanthal - common resistance wire used in power (VW) mode only, cannot be used in TC or TCR applications.

A1 - Kanthal resistance wire

FeCrA1 - Kanthal resistance wire

Titanium - resistance wire used in temperature control

Ti - Titanium Resistance Wire

SS - Stainless Steel resistance wire used in both VW and Temperature control mode.

Ni80 - Nichrome 80 resistance wire. Heats up faster than Kanthal due to a lower resistance level. Used in power (VW) mode only. Cannot be used in TC.

Ni - Nickel Resistance wire.

Wrap - one full rotation of resistance wire around a coil jig or precision screwdriver.

Coil jig - small cylindrical object used for creating coils.

Spaced Coil - a coil whose wraps don't touch each other
SC - Spaced Coil (make sure not to get confused with Staple coils, ask for clarification)
FCC = Fused Clapton Coil, a fancy coil
FC - Fused Clapton resistance wire
Alien = Fancy coil or fancy resistance wire
FAC - Fused Alien Coil, a fancy coil
FASC - Fused Alien Staple Coil, a fancy coil
SC - Staple Coil, a fancy coil
FSC - Fused Staple Coil, a fancy coil

I will add here a link to an informative post concerning open and closed systems which will likely be important soon enough - and worded much better than I'm able Open and Closed Systems

Continuing:

APV = Stands for Advanced Personal Vaporizer. These are mods which require knowledge of batteries, battery safety and ohms law before use for basic safety concerns. These can be either regulated or mechanical.

Mod - an advanced personal vaporizer with no atty on top. Its just the device housing that holds the battery and the electronic board. Comes in many shapes and sizes.

Modding - means to modify. This is how modern vaping came about and people still do it. It's DIY'ing your own mods, or otherwise modifying existing things in order to get a better more tailored vape.

DNA - A highly sought after electronic board used to regulate your regulated mod, this is a big selling point for manufacturers who use this board. Very popular among vapors.

TC
- temperature control, a method some mods can provide instead of just wattage/power mode with the proper type of temperature control compatible coils in order for the user to adjust the temperature of their vape.

TCR - Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. It relates to the resistance and corresponding heat of a particular type of alloy used in a coil. Less resistance translates into more heat, faster. The type of alloy used in the coil determines the relationship between the resistance and potential heat. Different TCR values must be assigned for different types of coils.

VW- variable wattage, a way of setting or adjusting the power level to the users liking for many regulated mods (VV- also a way of adjusting power used in another type of regulated mod)

Pod Mods = mods that take disposable cartridges containing e-juice, a coil and wick. Basically they are mods with disposable atty's. Some beginners like those as they don't have the hassle of changing a coil or filling a tank.

Mech Mod = Short for Mechanical Mod, they are mods that are not regulated nor do they contain any electronic board. The only safety feature is the knowledge of the user.

Vape pen = a vaporizer that is small and shaped like a pen.

Squonk Mod or Squonker = a mod that is set up to dispense e-juice from a squeeze bottle located underneath an RDA. Otherwise called a Bottom Feeding Mod. Its a means of dripping the easy way, by giving a bottle a small squeeze whenever more juice needs to be fed up to the wick and coil. Can be either regulated or mechanical.

Bottom Feeding Mod abbreviated BF = See above definition for Squonk Mod.

Squonking = the act of using a squonk mod.

MORW = Mod of ridiculous wattage

And then you just have the batteries which go inside your mods.

18650 = a common size rechargeable battery used for vaping. The first four numbers refer to any batteries size. 18, in 18650 means the battery is 18mm in diameter, the next two numbers, 65, refers to the length of the battery in mm. For manufacturing the numbers have to be divisible by 10 (650 ÷ 10 = 65) which is why the zero exists, but I'm unclear why manufacturers need to do that, but the zero at the end is a necessary designation to size as well but since dividing by 10 just drops the zero we can basically ignore it.

Other common battery sizes include: 18350, 18490, 18500, 20700, 21700, and 26650.

CDR = (Amperage) Constant Discharge Rate = This is the maximum amount of continuous current that a battery can supply, down to a specified voltage, without exceeding a certain temperature or suffering damage that decreases its capacity below a certain point.

mAh = Milliamp Hours

10A = 10 Amp CDR Battery. In general, whenever the Amp rating of a battery is given its referring to the CDR. Please note; there are no 18650 batteries on the market today that exceed 30A available for vapers.

And who can forget the people who vape, also known as Vapers:

Squonker = a person who likes bottom feeding mods.
Cloud Chaser = a person who enjoys big fat clouds of vapor when they vape. Usually use higher powered devices to achieve this.
Flavor Chaser = a person who prizes the flavor of the ejuice, preferences flavor over clouds.
Tootle Puffer = A person who vapes at lower wattages, and prefers an experience closer to when they smoked cigarettes.

Some people are offended by being called a nickname according to the style of vaping that they prefer, others think its cute and/or funny, so know your audience if at all possible before using a term. In the end, we are all VAPERS!

PIF = Pay it Forward. Used when a vaper gives away vape gear for free to others in need, to get a new vaper started on vaping, or just to give some assistance to a fellow vaper - for instance, to allow someone to try something you think they will like.

Vaperversary = the anniversary date that a vaper made the switch from smoking analog cigarettes to vaping.

And it's a good thing we are vapers, our health is better and we finally got off the stinkies!

Stinkies = a derogatory term for a cigarette, so called because they smell bad.
Analogs = a term used for cigarettes, an outdated and unhealthy method of getting nicotine. Its 2018, we vape. :)

Voop = Vaping while using the facilities. (Use your imagination) Its funny, had to include it here.

AVR = Average Vape Reviewer. Been vaping for 30 minutes, decides to be a reviewer with a unique home boy twist...

I will add a small section for shopping terminology, but I wont devote too much time to it.

FT = FastTech. A Chinese company who sells vape gear, among other things.

Slow Boat from China = if someone says they made an order and its on the "slow boat from China" it means they ordered from FT or Gear Best. Saying is thus because of the extended amount of time it takes to actually receive orders from these vendors.

BCF - Bull City Flavors

Below are abbreviations for manufacturers of flavoring concentrates commonly used in DIY:

TFA - The Flavor Apprentice also known as Signature Flavors also known as The Perfumers Apprentice.

TPA - See TFA ^^^

Cap - Cappella Flavors

FA - FlavourArt

RF - SC = Real Flavors

LA - Lorann Flavors

MF - Medicine Flower, also known as Lotus Flower.

FW - Flavor West

INA - Inawera

FLV - Flavorah

The above is not an exhaustive list, but you get the point. When you see these abbreviations in a DIY e liquid recipe the brand of flavoring used is being shown.

I hope I remembered everything, feel free to add, correct, or otherwise comment. I intend this to be a learning experience for those new to the vaping scene, and kept only the more modern abbreviations and terms that the new vaper today encounters more often than not.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
This thread was made upon request:

I would say that link to the glossary should be in the new members stickie, but it's from 2011. LOTS has changed since then!

My friend, be kind enough to post that in a separate thread and beg @classwife or somebody to sticky it in New Members...

So @classwife or @Oliver, its up to you all whether you make this sticky in the new members forum or whether we just leave it here.

:)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Nice, following. May post after coffee lol
GTA= genesis type atomizer. ...this really evolved from the first rebuildable tank, a genesis, which only used SS mesh wicks and later porous ceramic, but now, it only means that the cotton wicks are dropped down into the juice and wick up to coil unlike most rta's where the juice comes upwards to wick. Oops didn't mean this as a reply to hightec redneck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
GTA= genesis type atomizer. ...this really evolved from the first rebuildable tank, a genesis, which only used SS mesh wicks and later porous ceramic, but now, it only means that the cotton wicks are dropped down into the juice and wick up to coil unlike most rta's where the juice comes upwards to wick. Oops didn't mean this as a reply to hightec redneck

Are they still making the genesis style though? I haven't seen those in a long time really...not since all the older ones went on sale and then finally sold out. I haven't seen new ones being made.. or perhaps just not noticed them..

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Are they still making the genesis style though? I haven't seen those in a long time really...
I just tried revisiting the old genesis tanks and didn't find any new ones. I purchased 2, but they were second hand, maybe 2 years old...If there are a couple still making them in Europe, I couldn't find them . Actually yes, the origen by nor Bert still makes them

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Some more abbreviations

FT- Fasttech a Chinese vendor of both authentic and "styled" clone / copy stuff like tanks and all
but take forever to arrive shipped from there

DT- drip tip

TC- temperature control, a method some mods can provide instead of just wattage/power mode with the proper type of temperature control compatible coils

KGD- Koh Gen Do, a type of popular Japanese organic cotton used as a wick for coils

VW- variable wattage, a way of setting the power for many regulated mods (VV- also a way of adjusting power used in another type of regulated mod)

There are many more, but I need more coffee to help remember them.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Some more abbreviations

FT- Fasttech a Chinese vendor of both authentic and "styled" clone / copy stuff like tanks and all
but take forever to arrive shipped from there

DT- drip tip

TC- temperature control, a method some mods can provide instead of just wattage/power mode with the proper type of temperature control compatible coils

KGD- Koh Gen Do, a type of popular Japanese organic cotton used as a wick for coils

VW- variable wattage, a way of setting the power for many regulated mods (VV- also a way of adjusting power used in another type of regulated mod)

There are many more, but I need more coffee to help remember them.

Yeah I think thats my problem too! COFFEE! Drip tip is up there, but I did forget to do TC and VW and KGD although I remembered to add the full name Koh Gen Do.. lol...

Its definitely morning!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So @Eskie , @vapdivrr , and @zoiDman I have added all your suggestions... thanks for contributing. .

Good Deal.

BTW - If you're in an Editing Mood, you could throw these into the Battery Section also

10A Battery = A 10 Amp CDR Battery
20A Battery = A 20 Amp CDR Battery
"x"A Battery = A "x" Amp CDR Battery

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I was thinking that ECF had a sub-forum for abbreviations and then I realized that I am there. o_O

When I started, I got a bit frustrated with them all and started a spreadsheet and worked to fill in definitions. Coming from cigarettes, I was surprised at just how broad vaping was, in comparison, and that was a bunch of ways back.

The broadness of vaping really calls for it to become something of a hobby. It is soo much better than smoking.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Good Deal.

BTW - If you're in an Editing Mood, you could throw these into the Battery Section also

10A Battery = A 10 Amp CDR Battery
20A Battery = A 20 Amp CDR Battery
"x"A Battery = A "x" Amp CDR Battery

Okay Ive made a little addition... Ive worded it differently.. as a beside, I have no idea what an x Amp battery is.. lol. I didn't add that in the list.. but i am curious what it is.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread