Vaping the 902 @ 5 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Recently I made a decision to build some box mods, instead of ordering any more kits.
Up to that point, I had only used an M401, but I wanted to try some different atty's that might also work well at 5 volts, since I'd been wanting to try that.
I decided to get some 902 atty's from Modern Vapor, and also a few 510's to try out, but I had to get those elsewhere.

Anyway I got a really nice surprise when I got my order of 902 atty's the other day, and saw that he threw in an extra atty, and carts, (Thank you Tony).
Being anxious to try it out, I blew out the primer from one of the atty's, then screwed it onto the 510 battery connector. Dripped a few drops into it, pressed the button......... and got nothing. It seems the positive contact on the 902 atty is recessed, and wasn't making a connection. After fiddling with it a bit, I got it working.

At 3.7 volts the 902 is a good atty. The only model I've used since I started vaping 3 months ago, was the 401, which I liked a lot. But I was blown away with the 902 from the first vape. Much easier draw then my 401, and also decent flavor and throat hit. Also loved the larger carts. Seems all the good things people said about it were right. Maybe because I blew out the primer before ever using it, but I had nice flavor from the very first puff. The only thing I didn't like about the 902 is the vapor is a bit on the cool side.

Then I tried it with 5 volts. WOW, I have to say, this thing is made for 5 bolts. The vapor is warm and there is tons of it. Still decent flavor and an even better throat hit then before. In fact, a 3-4 second puff gives me a massive vapor cloud, and perfect throat hit. This thing absolutely rocks at 5 volts. Been using it for 2 days now and loving it.
A really nice surprise was the flat tip mouthpiece. I LOVE it. Feels so much more natural then the round ones. Seems to rest in your lips perfectly.

A little while ago I finally tried one of the 510 atty's, just to see how they compared. First thing I noticed was how strange that big round mouthpiece felt. Then I noticed how much harder the draw is compared to the 902. While it has good vapor, and of course a good throat hit, which is what the 510 is known for, in my opinion, the 902 is hands down, better then the 510 as an all day vape.

For me, I think I'll be sticking to the 902 for awhile. Looking forward to Tony getting in the new 902's with a bigger cartridge. I just hope they vape as good as the old 902.

neonerz

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
watchreadvape.com
Have you tried using the sidesho atty at 5v at all? I put together a mock USB passthrough by chopping apart a USB cable and a dead battery of mine, but I didn't install a regulator to drop it to 3.7v. It did work at 5v, but I didn't use it for any period of time other then testing, for fear of killing the atty (and since I didn't have all the components, I was using the ground wire as a button).

I was going to stop by Radio Shack this week to pick up a couple of their adjustable regulators and put a switch on it to go between 5v and 3.7v, but now I'm wondering if its even worth putting the switch at all, and making it straight 5v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread