Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi everyone, I’ve been vaping for almost 6 years. It wasn’t this way in the beginning, but if I lay on my back now, even with a few pillows, it hurts to vape lying down. I use Apollo products based out of California and vape at around 80W most of the time. It’s starting to worry me. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm actually disabled so I vape more horizontally than I do vertically and I don't have any issues with it, and been vaping around 5-1/2 years and I also inhale (fully)..

However, I'm still a lower wattage vaper where your not... could this be the difference? I don't know but I second the recommendation to lower your wattages - it might make a difference for you.

Do you build? If so play around with coil wire some, try out some Ni80 wire - it heats up faster than kanthal - and use a restricted lung RTA so your not feeling like your sucking a thick shake through a tiny straw..

might help you some. At 80 watts you're certainly going through some massive juice consumption, and lowering your consumption levels will help your lungs which can only be done by decreasing your wattages.

Also, incorporate more open air exercise into your lifestyle... the more cardio you do the more your lungs will clear themselves out, with your consumption being so high, I'm going to say your lungs need a break....

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    And you should see a doctor ASAP.

Just curious. 80W you say. But what is the voltage?

If you are a deep lung hitter and cloudsbro kinda vaper, it's quite possible you are hurting your lungs by inhaling too deeply too frequently. And the vapor probably does not help that.

I'm not a doctor, but lungs were probably not made for taking deep breathes on a frequent basis.

If you feel like you're sucking hard on your vape, then you either have your airflow closed too much or you need to calm down and stop trying to achieve whatever it is you're trying to achieve by taking such deep lung hits.

People never smoked like that, so why do you think you need to vape like that?

I smoked 2.5-3 PAD for over 20 years. At least half that was non-filter. I now vape 1.2 ohm at 12-15W. I get more vapor than I ever did smoke.

And at 80W, I know that vapor is way hotter than any smoke from a cigarette. Heat isn't exactly good for your lungs like that on a frequent basis.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    And at 80W, I know that vapor is way hotter than any smoke from a cigarette

You can have a cooler vape at 80 watts, it just takes more coil mass to achieve it..

Lower the mass and you can lower the watts, more mass takes more power to heat.

more power = more consumption - and I'm going to say the consumption is the issue.

When you get into the higher consumption levels your likely not doing any better for your lungs than smoking did.

Reactions: Jebbn

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    going to the doc is not always worthwhile.
    i'm having lung problems too, but if i tell the doc i vape, she'll just tell me i need to quit.
    i already know this, so that's no help.

if i could quit, i would.

It’s always worth it, to rule out other potential causes at least.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    It’s always worth it, to rule out other potential causes at least.

I think the problem occurs when the doctor is one who decides everything's due to vaping and refuses to consider other possibilities once vaping has been mentioned. Of course, the best course of action in that case is to get a better doctor, but that can be difficult in some situations.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    The voltage is irrelevant. 80 watts is 80 watts regardless of the voltage. And there is no possible way for anyone to determine that 80 watts is hotter than smoke from a cigarette. Way too many variables involved for such a blanketed answer.

From experience, pain when laying down leads me to believe gravity is applying pressure to an injury or illness within your chest. Anyone who has broken or bruised ribs has probably experience pain of some sort when laying down vs an upright position. And breathing will only heighten that pain. There could also be damage or illness with the 2 Pleural sacks that surround your lungs. Being upright may not agitate such injury/illness but laying down, especially with breathing could. @Beka - By no means am I suggesting these 2 cases are related to your situation, but giving examples of how laying down can apply pressure to injuries or illnesses which could be further irritated by deep inhales such as vaping. As others have suggested, go see a doctor.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    this knee jerk reaction of making fun of other's problems caused by vaping is stupid.
    has it ocurred to you that if vaping is 95% safer, some people will fall in the other 5%?
    Everyone should go see their Doctor not seek medical advice here if they have an issue and always tell the Doctor the facts. I'm sorry you don't get that.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    What about if you lay down and you pretend you're vaping? Do you still get that same pain?
    I was going to suggest the same thing... laying down and taking deep breaths to see if that hurts... That and I do agree with the part about seeing a doctor as none of us are medical experts because this does not sound normal as far as being vape related goes (with the obvious exception of getting dry burns from holding the e-cig upside down).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Georgia Boy

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    OK, so full non-medical-advice disclaimer here.

That said, I don't have a problem with you informally asking "Does anyone else get this too?"

What I can tell you is that:
    1) I vape freebase nic, not nic-salts.
    2) I can get some congestion (sinus and 30 years of smoking). I get that upright or lying down though.

And the GERD or other reflux someone mentioned is good to note too.

Now, when I manage to cough up any congestion, it can "sting" in the back of my throat. IDK what that is. Is it the nic accumulating? The PG? A biological reaction accumulating? IDK, but it stings a bit. I have to go get a drink of water, tickles the back of my throat.

I could see that happening when you lay down, as that might help your lungs cough crap up.

I'd consider:
    1) Get any medical advice you think warranted, as it could be a COPD indication or infection or some other issue but
    2) Consider salt-nic if you're open to it (it's less harsh) and if you're not already using it. Don't over do it though, as it sneaks up on you. You don't get that TH from it.
    3) Consider less irritating flavorings or unflavored.
    4) Consider less PG and more VG and if you DIY, make sure you add some distilled water into your mix.
    5) Try eliminating the nic entirely, and using gum or lozenge or patch for a few days, and vape zero nic and see if it goes away.
    6) You're doing it wrong, vape upside down like Batman. ;) (OK, I'm really making that one up for fun...but....)

All guesses and trying to help. :2c:

P.S.
    You need to describe "hurts". Lungs or esophagus or throat or what? What type of hurt? Sting, pain like an ulcerated something?

• Agree
    Reactions: Ryedan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread