Variable Voltage and Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Oh, and as an example of how things can go if you don't protect yourself, whether you believe this or not, you've watched and enjoyed a few of my movies.

There is a thing called Six Degrees of Separation. In this theory, we are all connected to everybody on this planet by a maximum of six people. We all are just a few people away from every movie producer, inventor, manufacturer, writer, etc.

I dream up a lot of things, and have a lot of creations that I work on. Some I just want to see happen without putting any effort into. These, I discuss openly with friends and on the internet. Others, I want to nurture into my own creations, and they will never be discussed until it's time for them to be released.

You may very well be correct when you say "Hey! I thought of that first." when you see a book, movie, or product on the store shelves. If you talk about it, and it's a good idea, that person will share it, and so on until it lands in the ear of somebody who will take it and do something more than talk about it. Then it ends up on a shelf or the big screen.

You may very well have been the person to think of the magnetic repulsion engine, but Bill Gates had the means and ambition to apply for the patent. If you had've just been quiet about it and gotten the patent yourself, then the rights to your idea would be yours.

I've known how this works, and have played with it for a long time. As an example, a co-worker's daughter is friends with one of Morgan Freeman's assistants. All she gets is a Christmas card from him every year. All I get is the opportunity to share an idea with her that she finds interesting and talks about, and just might put a bug in his ear.

What in Hades does that mean?! It means that you have a year to patent something you've developed, and you'd better do it, otherwise Charlie Sheen will steal your idea! :laugh:

laurel099

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
this post is dated 06-07-2009. if thats not enough evidence than what is?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuck

I've now banged off about 8 mods with differing levels of success and have decided that variable voltage is the only solution. There are just too many factors that determine the type of hit someone may desire at a given time.

Here are a few of them:

* Mood (relaxed longer pulls require lower voltage)
* Atomizer model (obvious differences)
* Atomizer brand (resistances vary)
* juice Mix (PG or VG, VG at higher voltages has potential health risks)
* juice Flavour (Some flavours 'burn' much easier than others)
* Personal preference (flavour vs throat hit)

The only downsides to doing voltage regulation is it increases costs a bit and increases size requirements just a bit. Ive been using one for about a week and a half now and it is now my standard 'go to' vaper even though its an ugly bat box mod.

I now have better VR chips and better quality pots and hopefully can do a real mod with the new stuff. Will report any issues but so far VR is hands down the way to go for controlled vaping.

The above quote bears repeating IMHO...many folks were not here back then and aren't understanding why some are upset over this.

See...I remember these days and this is what bugs me. Buzz dude wasn't even on the forums yet at that point. I also remember him from the other forum that isn't allowed to be mentioned when he first joined. VV was already invented at that point and was out there for all to see...he did not invent it and he knows it!

Buzz dude didn't even join ECF until November '09.

I see why some people may not understand why others are up in arms over this but some of us were here way back when and do remember VV mods before Buzz was born, some of us even got them from Nuck back then. I'd have no problem with him patenting his Buzz design but to take credit for all VV is absolutely wrong IMHO. The idea was out there already and was NOT his idea. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to make an informed opinion I believe you'd need to go WAY back in history of posts to see the first VV mods.

violetvoo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Down the rabbit hole..
The above quote bears repeating IMHO...many folks were not here back then and aren't understanding why some are upset over this.

See...I remember these days and this is what bugs me. Buzz dude wasn't even on the forums yet at that point. I also remember him from the other forum that isn't allowed to be mentioned when he first joined. VV was already invented at that point and was out there for all to see...he did not invent it and he knows it!

Buzz dude didn't even join ECF until November '09.

I see why some people may not understand why others are up in arms over this but some of us were here way back when and do remember VV mods before Buzz was born, some of us even got them from Nuck back then. I'd have no problem with him patenting his Buzz design but to take credit for all VV is absolutely wrong IMHO. The idea was out there already and was NOT his idea. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to make an informed opinion I believe you'd need to go WAY back in history of posts to see the first VV mods.

Thank you, thats what i've been trying to say.

violetvoo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Down the rabbit hole..
Correct me if I'm wrong. But whoever has an idea first in legal terms is meaningless. It's whoever patents that idea who holds all legal rights.

You can cry as much as you want, but business decisions are not decided by ethics but profit.

Like I've said correct me if I'm wrong, please! :confused:

They should be decided by both!

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
In some ways this thread is like a slow-motion car crash - you know you should just walk away, but somehow you just can't.

Here's a couple of comments, for what they're worth....

1. The patent, if the link is accurate, is pretty pathetic. I would guess it wasn't written by an active patent attorney. In any case, other than bragging rights I don't think it's worth the filing fee (other than as a deterrent to others trying to patent the same idea - which means the idea has gone into the public domain without real protection).

2. The patent is pretty much immaterial. As a former boss used to say, "You can sue ANYONE at ANY TIME, for ANYTHING". And it's true. You can't get into a patent war unless at least one side has the resources to back it up. And if, for example, the tobacco companies wanted to shut down a PV manufacturer, they could do it without the patent just by filing a lawsuit that the respondent couldn't afford to fight. Happens all the time. The cable companies and the RIAA both filed lawsuits against tremendous numbers of people (for buying cable decoders or for downloading music). Most of these were settled out of court, the respondents paid, regardless of whether they were guilty or not - Would you rather pay the cable company $1500 you DIDN'T owe them, or spend an unlimited amount ($10,000 entrance fee) proving you were innocent? Knowing that a trial might take years and you couldn't buy a house (or even sell the one you have) until this was settled?

The RIAA, in particular, publicized cases where they really had justification, fought it to the end, and won "big" bucks. But these were very few. In the mean time, most people (even those acting under competent legal advice) just paid up, which funded settlements for those who fought it (where the RIAA settled after the original negotiations. They did OK on the deal, but were sworn to secrecy as part of the settlement).

I hope this isn't viewed as off-topic. My main thrust is "Don't stress about this patent!" In a real sense, it doesn't mean anything like what has been attributed to it.

And, the patent holder can protect the community against "big tobacco" buying up the patent - he can give a free license to anyone who wants to use the patent. That would be perfectly consistent with his position as stated here. BUT HE CAN ONLY DO THAT AFTER THE PATENT IS ISSUED, and he can't promise to do that before!!!

Anyway, time to vape something soothing, and play "ripple" in my head. There is a fountain that was not made by the hand of man.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I mean, really, let's look at this guy's behaviour:

1 - Gets the idea of VV from the ECF.

Pure conjecture, information not introduced in this or any other thread, forum, or public release

2 - Builds a product with VV in it, announces and markets it on the ECF.

And many other outlets that reach beyond the scope of ECF

3 - Watches other manufacturers build and announce other VV products on the ECF.

Truth

4 - Uses the ECF as documentation to file a patent to squash other manufacturers building VV devices.

truth, with commentary as to why, which is conjecture and editorial, not a presentation of facts... An opinion you are entitled to... asserting your opinion as fact is not in good form if you want to be taken seriously.

5 - Gets his list of attack targets by making inquiries on the ECF.

True... but the information is in the public domain, this is the shortest path to the truth, and prudent.. so your "attack" comments are again, your opinion

6 - Defends his creepy actions with a LOOONG ECF thread.

He did not start this thread... we ALL made it long... his comments represent a small percentage of this thread content.

So he has used the ECF, a community which was formed for the free exchange of ideas, and on the principle of helping others NOT FOR PROFIT, to profit from from day one (I don't have a problem with that, I am just pointing this out), and then wants to use the same community to deny that right to others.

Is ECF Not for profit? They generate quite a fair amount of money from ad revenue and forum space for suppliers... I don't know if they are a 501(c) organization, but there are certainly dollars supporting this, and as a supporting member, I did not recieve a tax statement to file on my taxes... should I have? I believe this forum MAY be for profit. Not sure.

Mike, dude, you can't have it both ways. If you want to behave like some 3 year old in a sandbox and say "This part is MINE! Noone can touch it!", fly at it, but don't use a resource dedicated to people sharing ideas for free to do it. You can't have it both ways.

I think they have a name for people like that. Its "Hypo" something.

Oh, yeah, "-crite"

Again, name calling is in bad form... and beyond that, you may or may not be correct about the true underlying nature of this forum.

If you could temper your GOOD comments with common sense, and keep your name calling to a dull roar, people may react better to you... the fact is you have attacked me as well, and I'm just a guy that works in the area of product licensing and tech transfer every day... I didn't do anything to draw your fire other than put in my comments, while NOT calling you names and keeping my comments to facts that can be supported, and steering WAY clear of pure conjecture.

I'm just sick of watching you get away with spewing your ire at a small businessman that is employing people, about something that happens in this world each and every day.

If you have a problem with the system, fight the system... don't insult the players!

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
You can also compete like Enron completed.

You can also sell cracks to elemetary school students if you want to.

That doesn't make it right, though, now does it?

And I think if the ECF community knew (and understood) what Buzzkill was doing, he would have a lot less fanboys.

Enron competed illegally... Selling crack to ANYBODY is illegal... Dowloading music and software illegally is, well.. illegal! (to go back a few pages)

What Mike is doing is not only LEGAL... it's PRUDENT!

It would appear you have no respect for laws, and if things went your way, YOU should be the moral compass by which we all set out sails...

It's just so... arrogant!

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Well, I think the important point (and the reason that I have been posting about it) is that people should become aware of what this guy is doing.

None of your posts illustrate in ANY way what Mike is doing...

They illustrate what you THINK he is doing, and your opinion of what you believe is true...

Once again, you must not try to sell your opinions as facts... they are simply your opinions.

I find this sort of debate to be completely irresponsible, at best, and libelus in the extreme.

Be careful what you say... you have crossed the line into malicious libel.

He may not be able to get the patent if you're correct, but YOU have crossed the line by posting pages and pages of conjecture with the stated intent of stopping him from doing business in a perfectly legal way, and in MY opinion, you could be found guilty of famosus libellus, and that is not pretty, and your defense will be expensive.

No, what Mike is doing is unethical.

Stealing other people's ideas and claiming them as your own is unethical.

I thought you were AGAINST stealing?

Oh, I forgot, you are against stealing from big corporations but in favor of suing (essentially stealing from) welfare moms, 11 year olds, grandmothers, and dead people.

You must be a lawyer, right?

And before you make comments on my previous posts, please read all the posts. All your comments and questions were responded to there.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
No, what Mike is doing is unethical.

Stealing other people's ideas and claiming them as your own is unethical.

I thought you were AGAINST stealing?

Oh, I forgot, you are against stealing from big corporations but in favor of suing (essentially stealing from) welfare moms, 11 year olds, grandmothers, and dead people.

You must be a lawyer, right?

And before you make comments on my previous posts, please read all the posts. All your comments and questions were responded to there.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/177783-greetings-non-smoker.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...182503-ego-t-users-battery-life-question.html

TROLL !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread