Variable Wattage Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had $200 and wanted to get a quality mod which one would you invest in? I've been using a Halo Triton setup, and I'm really wanting to get something that's going to give me a consistent performance from start to finish with both flavor and power. I've had my eye on the Provari (I know it's only VV but still), and the Futura. The Futura is on the high side of what I want to invest. Also the device I end up with will need to last, I just don't have the funds to put into a new mod every year. All suggestions welcome. Thanks

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
This is my opinion and my opinion only. With $200, you could get several new toys and have plenty of backup.
* MVP 2 (if you do research, it's good Mod box for the price)
* Itaste vv (great portable)
* other good VW/VV mods
* good "glassmozier", tons of legit USA vendors who sell authentic, serial # etc.
* Mech Mod Clones
* RBA, Kayfun clones
* wick, and kanthol wire

I might but get provari one day..but right now I'm having blast with my e-cig stuff.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Sigelei Zmax Telescopic V3 or V5 is a good choice for under $200. You will want to have two VV/VWs on hand as a back-up unit is a smart idea, regardless of what you buy. You will want to spend a good $50 for batteries of different sizes and another $25 for a decent charger. Use the rest to upgrade your atomizer or to buy some more juice.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
For $200 I would be buying a Povari.

Variable wattage is just a different way of changing the voltage. It's not necessary at all if you know what ohm coil you have.

Think of it like driving a car. Variable Voltage is your gas pedal. You push it down for more power, and let off when you want less power. To maintain a set speed (Wattage) you have to make small adjustments for changes in the coil.

Variable Wattage is like Cruise Control. You set your wattage (speed) and then the device alters your voltage for you.

It's just two ways of reaching the same final goal. Personally, I prefer variable voltage because some flavors taste better at lower or higher voltage settings while using the same coil. Using variable wattage the voltage will be tweaked to the coil, not the liquid you're vaping.

Last edited:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
As above, you can find some very fine devices well below $200 (and you have to factor in batteries, charger, and something to top it with). Also, getting more than one is the usual end state with people looking to take vaping to that next level, soooooo...

My recommendations would be MVP, VV, and SVD for the firing device and the aspire nautilus and kanger aerotank for the topper (kayfun clone if you are or are planning on getting into rebuildables). Shop around and you could get both tanks and two of the devices (plus batteries, MVP excluded) for your budget.

You would have much more 'vapewidth' (capacity to vape in different situations plus backup options) than investing in a single device such as a provari or futura. Now, that's practical thinking - the lure of high profile, more exotic devices should probably be balanced against this.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Variable wattage allows you the same manual control of your vapor as VV. The added value of VW is convenience. It will adjust the APV to produce the same vapor automatically if you switch from say a 2.0 ohm atomizer coil to a 3.0 ohm. With VV only, you would need to do a manual voltage adjustment to get the same wattage. VW will also automatically compensate for resistance changes in the atomizer as the coil ages, VV won't.

With VV/VW, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. You can use it a VV rig or a VW rig.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
If you had $200 and wanted to get a quality mod which one would you invest in? I've been using a Halo Triton setup, and I'm really wanting to get something that's going to give me a consistent performance from start to finish with both flavor and power. I've had my eye on the Provari (I know it's only VV but still), and the Futura. The Futura is on the high side of what I want to invest. Also the device I end up with will need to last, I just don't have the funds to put into a new mod every year. All suggestions welcome. Thanks

4 different $50 mods. This will give you a chance to experiment with different types and style and have backups as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm leaning toward a Provari I think. I have $275 total set aside for the device batteries and charger. I really don't won't to max out my budget if it's not necessary. I like the Provari because from my research it seems you get equal performance from the very first vape on a new battery until the last vape you take and it's time to charge. I have also read the DNA powered devices also offer this type of performance with the added ability to vape lower ohm setups as well. I don't care for the way my current device starts off pretty good but get's weaker as the battery loses it's charge. As a side note I have never been on any forum where people were as friendly and willing to help as here on ECF. This truly is a great group of folks!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The Provari is an excellent rig. However, with Sigelei Zmax Telescopic V3 and V5 you can afford two, the batts and the charger for under $200. The voltage regulation on the Sigeleis is nearly as good as Provari. The differences won't matter in actual vaping. You won't see any change in vapor performance as the battery falls from 4.2V to the low battery warning at 3.3V and shut-off at 3.2V. You can buy the V3 for $39.95 now at Desert Vapes.

edit. Since this video was made Sigelei made some changes in V3. It now has a removable top cap, 510/eGo threading made from a single piece of stainless steel and some minor menu tweaks with the new firmware. These features are also found on V5 which includes a different OLED display, cell phone charger and puff counter.

You can skip the first 4 minutes of the video. pBusardo's final comment on the V3 is at 16:50, near the end of the vid.

Last edited:
The Provari is an excellent rig. However, with Sigelei Zmax Telescopic V3 and V5 you can afford two, the batts and the charger for under $200. The voltage regulation on the Sigeleis is nearly as good as Provari. The differences won't matter in actual vaping. You won't see any change in vapor performance as the battery falls from 4.2V to the low battery warning at 3.3V and shut-off at 3.2V. You can buy the V3 for $39.95 now at Desert Vapes.

Interesting, for that price I could try it, and if it didn't perform to my liking I could still get a Provari or like.

JQside

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Canada

I bought a Sigelei for 60 bucks at Canvape just a month or so ago, then a Vamo v3 for $50 from the same store a week later as a backup. I probably could have bought them cheaper somewhere, but I prefer to buy locally. So far so good. I bought the first one to augment my exploration of RBDs as a resistance reader.

Never been a fan of VV mods. My needs are simple, I just wanted something to satisfy my smoke cravings whenever they occur. I smoked menthol as a ex-smoker and whenever I bum one from others, I cough. I've always wondered how some people could smoke such strong cigarettes. So my expectations are low, I mostly use mech mods and am satisfied with the voltage they provide. I'm in my 3rd smoke free years.

I bought a Sigelei for 60 bucks at Canvape just a month or so ago, then a Vamo v3 for $50 from the same store a week later as a backup. I probably could have bought them cheaper somewhere, but I prefer to buy locally. So far so good. I bought the first one to augment my exploration of RBDs as a resistance reader.

Never been a fan of VV mods. My needs are simple, I just wanted something to satisfy my smoke cravings whenever they occur. I smoked menthol as a ex-smoker and whenever I bum one from others, I cough. I've always wondered how some people could smoke such strong cigarettes. So my expectations are low, I mostly use mech mods and am satisfied with the voltage they provide. I'm in my 3rd smoke free years.

Congratulations on three years! That's definitely something to be proud of. I'm on my sixth month and being smoke free, vaping has totally changed my life. What were you using before the Sigelei?

kenmuir

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
AB, Canada
My Provari was delivered five days ago, and is my first VV device. It makes a world of difference over the non-VV EVOD battery I had before. I scramble for a calculator (my phone) whenever I change to a different clearomizer, but now I'm intimately familiar with the formula.

DesiredWattage = Volts^2/resistance. Remix it to Watts*Resistance = Volts ^2. A quickie with the square root button and you know what to set your device to.

JQside

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Canada
Congratulations on three years! That's definitely something to be proud of. I'm on my sixth month and being smoke free, vaping has totally changed my life. What were you using before the Sigelei?

I started with cigalikes and spent hundreds of dollars on them for the first 4-6 months or so. Long story short, I settled for mech mods (with 18350 batts) plus old school Boge or SM low res catromizers (long and short ones.) I still use them especially when I'm out and about. Mech mods because they're small and fit nicely on my palm. (I'm waiting for a substitute of my broken Grippers, which is the Pipe style telescope mod). Nowadays I'm having great vapes with my Kayfuns when I'm at home. Just the same I can't give up the reliable old-fashioned Boge cartos. ;) One carto lasts a week or so.

The Sigelei is a nice APV and I believe it it still the shortest VV/VW tube mod in all battery configurations from 18350 to 18650. It also does 2x18350 for the highest wattage ratings.

Cool, I think they just opened a new vape shop near my house. I think I will try to get out and see some of these devices in person. Finding the right device can be daunting with the mod market being so, well, big. How do you like the IBTank? I've heard it is one of the better tanks out there.

I started with cigalikes and spent hundreds of dollars on them for the first 4-6 months or so. Long story short, I settled for mech mods (with 18350 batts) plus old school Boge or SM low res catromizers (long and short ones.) I still use them especially when I'm out and about. Mech mods because they're small and fit nicely on my palm. (I'm waiting for a substitute of my broken Grippers, which is the Pipe style telescope mod). Nowadays I'm having great vapes with my Kayfuns when I'm at home. Just the same I can't give up the reliable old-fashioned Boge cartos. ;) One carto lasts a week or so.
I know I'll too get into RTA's and RBA's but I'm still very new to this and not to that point yet. Theres a learning curve to this hobby for sure, but to me that's part of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread