Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I just got done doing a little skulking around. Here is what I could find:
-- FA has a Celery; but it is oil-based, so that is a no-go for me.
-- FLV has a Lovage Root. It is described as a "celery-like" root, with "green" vegital flavors. It is available from BCF ($5.49/15mL), and NR ($3.29/15mL). I did not look further.
-- NF has a Celery(organic). Available at DIYFS ($1.95/10mL). I don't know who else carries NF concentrates.

I think I am going to have to try both the FLV, and the NF, the next time I place an order. Now, to see if I can find a Worcestershire concentrate.... :facepalm: :D
Soy sauce flavor with a light smoke and whisky maybe?

I just got done doing a little skulking around. Here is what I could find:
-- FA has a Celery; but it is oil-based, so that is a no-go for me.
-- FLV has a Lovage Root. It is described as a "celery-like" root, with "green" vegital flavors. It is available from BCF ($5.49/15mL), and NR ($3.29/15mL). I did not look further.
-- NF has a Celery(organic). Available at DIYFS ($1.95/10mL). I don't know who else carries NF concentrates.

I think I am going to have to try both the FLV, and the NF, the next time I place an order. Now, to see if I can find a Worcestershire concentrate.... :facepalm: :D
Worcesesestercshireire has Tamarind in it afaik...... Hmmmm...... radish?

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Now, to see if I can find a Worcestershire concentrate.... :facepalm: :D

TFA actually has one and Wizard Labs used to sell it but last time I looked it wasn't there anymore.I think I still have some. It isn't bad but I never got around to working it into an actual recipe.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Worcesesestercshireire has Tamarind in it afaik...... Hmmmm...... radish?

Nude Nicotine sells a Tamarind concentrate ... I got a small sample ions ago but again, never found the motivation to produce anything of substance with it. :(

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'd be afraid radish would take over unless the concentrate was on the weak end. Maybe a hint of parsnip for a sub?
No parsnip or radish... according to Wiki:
"The original ingredients of bottle of Worcestershire sauce sold were:

• Barley malt vinegar
  • Spirit vinegar
  • Molasses
  • Sugar
  • salt
  • Anchovies
  • Tamarind extract
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Spice
  • Flavourings

The "spice" and "flavourings" are believed to include cloves, soy sauce, lemons, pickles and peppers.[8]"

Thanks to @NGAHaze' tip on NN's carrying a Tamarind concentrate, the sticking point seems to revert to the anchovies. I might be able to find a work-around if I could find a basic umami concentrate.

The search continues... :D
TFA actually has one {Worcestershire sauce}
Sadly; it appears to be completely removed from their product line. I went to TFA's own website, and a search for worcestershire came up blank, and it is no longer listed among their spec sheets.

Once again, I am a day late, and a dollar short.:blush: :D

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
It's a pic of a bag of Lays Dill Pickle Potato Chips ... just about the only chips I indulge in occasionally. :D

That sounds so good. I don’t think we can get them in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
@NGAHaze have you checked out Bob .....en recipes on ELR? Might start with this one for ideas for the dill chip.
Cucumber-Onion-Sour_Cream-Dill recipe. He has others that fit into the flavor profile you're shooting for. Would give a link to some his notes but the rules and all.

@NGAHaze have you checked out Bob .....en recipes on ELR? Might start with this one for ideas for the dill chip.
Cucumber-Onion-Sour_Cream-Dill recipe. He has others that fit into the flavor profile you're shooting for. Would give a link to some his notes but the rules and all.
You'd need a hefty souring agent in that mix would you not? Yoghurt perhaps too?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yogurt isn't particularly sour to me. I'd shoot for acidic tongue bite, maybe saline. You need something to give that tongue bite that those chips have. Maybe a zest that wouldn't overwhelme the pickle or a vinegar might do the trick. Maybe even a tart grapefruit. I enjoy reading Bob's notes and recipes, he thinks outside the box. The above recipe is just to get the wheels turning.

Now for a sour cream and onion chip the yogurt and a tangy cream cheese would be a good starting point. You could probably sneak a zesty citrus in that one as well.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Yogurt isn't particularly sour to me. I'd shoot for acidic tongue bite, maybe saline. You need something to give that tongue bite that those chips have. Maybe a zest that wouldn't overwhelme the pickle or a vinegar might do the trick. Maybe even a tart grapefruit. I enjoy reading Bob's notes and recipes, he thinks outside the box. The above recipe is just to get the wheels turning.

Now for a sour cream and onion chip the yogurt and a tangy cream cheese would be a good starting point. You could probably sneak a zesty citrus in that one as well.

I’ve noticed five pawns has a sea Salt line and one of the juices has a potato chip as part of the flavour profile.

Has anyone had a chance to try any of that sea salt line from five pawns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: NGAHaze

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia

Thank You Letitia! Lol, I had to search a little for it because the forum censored his last name due to the fact it included the word that rhymes with witch. :D

Very interesting, I'm not familiar with the company that he obtained the Sour Cream from but apparently he thought it was pretty authentic. I've been meaning to pick up the OOO Pickle for some time now, a holiday sale might just be the right incentive to finally get it done. I have the TFA version which isn't bad but I'd still like to see what the OOO one is like.

Reactions: IDJoel

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thank You Letitia! Lol, I had to search a little for it because the forum censored his last name due to the fact it included the word that rhymes with witch. :D

Very interesting, I'm not familiar with the company that he obtained the Sour Cream from but apparently he thought it was pretty authentic. I've been meaning to pick up the OOO Pickle for some time now, a holiday sale might just be the right incentive to finally get it done. I have the TFA version which isn't bad but I'd still like to see what the OOO one is like.
Apologies, didn’t notice the deletion. Amazon and ebay have ooo flavors, free shipping .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread