RDA Velocity Mini Higher Ohm Build Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
Hola! Just wondering if anyone out there is running higher ohms in their velocities.

I'm trying to dial in a good vape at lower wattages for battery life.

1.3 ohms @ 11-13 watts was pretty good. Trying .5 now but the wattage seems to Need to be much higher to get the same density of vape.

I am running dual coils and have 28/29/30 gauge kanthal. Faster ramp up times are a bonus.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yes, sometimes. Honestly the biggest problem is the fact that it's dual only... sometimes I will do a single in-line build but usually even my higher resistance coils end up possibly a little lower than you're asking about just by virtue of having to be dual, which is no big deal for me.

But yes, I have and do run .8-1.2ohm (ish) coils on my full sized velocity clone on occasion.

I seem to recall one of the better ones was 14 wraps of 30g around a 1.3mm screwdriver. The large amount of wraps gave it an OK surface area even though it was only 30g, and because it was such a small coil with such thin wire the ramp up was pretty quick, but I was using it at a higher wattage than you are... I think more like 20-25W.

The legs were a little long but it was fine.

I have also enjoyed some very narrow claptons that were higher resistance, probably the closest to what you were talking about was 30g kanthal wrapped with 38g nichrome, 9 wraps on 2mm came out to 1ohm. With the smaller ID and very thin outer wrap, the ramp up was still quick at a reasonable power level.

Again, it's the dual-only set-up that's the biggest hurdle for me here. I really enjoy slightly higher resistance coils but I also prefer slightly thicker wire in general, and the two don't really mix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread