Vendor hacked? Be careful with cc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I've been thinking about just getting prepaid cards, you can get'em at any local 5&dime/convenient stores.

I thought I was being careful but it seems like no way to stop these crooks. I will never use my debit card online again!

Vendors if you wouldn't keep card info on your system this wouldn't happen!!!!!

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere

Depends

That is the way it should be but many times isn't.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
I hope people reconsider pre-paid CC cards for online purchases. While it is not impossible for those numbers to be found, I strongly feel that it is much safer then your standard CC. You put on what you're about to use, use it then there is nothing left to steal. Someone simply cannot make a purchase if the balance is 0 or close to it.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I've noticed that some check-out pages are not encrypted when I shop around and I promptly leave the site before entering information. You can check in Firefox by right clicking the page and selecting "View Page info" on the menu. At the bottom it will tell you what kind of security the page has and if it is not fully encrypted you should probably run.

If any vendor is keeping your CC on file it needs to stop now, that is a very bad practice and in fact probably not legal without your consent. Keep in mind that it is in fact entirely possible for it to be intentionally done by the vendor so be careful where you shop, its not ALWAYS the invisible thieves.

Best advice is to keep track of your finances, and don't use a card that you cannot live without if something comes up. If it does happen and they track them down make sure to prosecute and teach them a lesson with jail time.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
I've noticed that some check-out pages are not encrypted when I shop around and I promptly leave the site before entering information. You can check in Firefox by right clicking the page and selecting "View Page info" on the menu. At the bottom it will tell you what kind of security the page has and if it is not fully encrypted you should probably run.

If any vendor is keeping your CC on file it needs to stop now, that is a very bad practice and in fact probably not legal without your consent. Keep in mind that it is in fact entirely possible for it to be intentionally done by the vendor so be careful where you shop, its not ALWAYS the invisible thieves.

Best advice is to keep track of your finances, and don't use a card that you cannot live without if something comes up. If it does happen and they track them down make sure to prosecute and teach them a lesson with jail time.

I prefer punishment for these people as given out yrs. ago. A noose.

Corpa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
California
ambientech so sorry to hear you fell victim. Doesn't your bank have protection against theft? I know if the charges on mine went through our credit union would have taken care of the full amount.

About prepaid cards, can you fill them online and is there a fee to use or reload? I read the terms on a Visa once and it seems to me there was a $5.95 charge just to activate it, of course a small price to pay.

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
I hope the title gets the attention of most w/o being melodramatic. I have a cc that I use strictly for grocery shopping (Kroger), Amazon shopping and purchasing my ecig supplies. No one else but my husband has access to this card, and I am not a newbie with computers..I do not have a virus, nor have I fallen prey to phishing.

Yesterday it came to my attention that someone living in another state attempted to place an online order using my cc (my billing address, phone#, etc) for over $350 worth of merchandise from a 'surf shop'. I have spent hundreds in the last 2 months on ecig/diy supplies from ECF approved vendors only, and believe that one of their sites has been hacked. I am NOT accusing anyone, nor will I name any of the multiple vendors that I've given my info to on this board OR through pm, so please don't ask. It could happen to the most honest of vendors..

This has been taken care of..cc cancelled and new one received express mail this morning, but I urge you ALL to keep an eye out on your statements for suspisious activity. I had alerts set up to email me with each online/phone transaction but they still managed to sneak one transaction by.

Be careful, and diligent! :)

Not to down play the situation but cc info for hackers is pretty easy to come by these days for which they turn around and sell in under ground chat rooms and websites as what's called "dumps" to people who use these dumps to make purchases in a variety of ways these people are called carders. Hackers generally focus on big box businesses because there is a lot more to gain from the hack Just saying

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
uggggh, I normally have no idea when or how much I will spend when the urge hits. So you're saying go to Walmart each time to reload when the card runs out of funds?

Yes, that is the safest way. You can get them at Walmart, the grocery store, drug store, even 7-11. You don't have to, it is just another step you can take.

ETA: Wanted to add, some vendors let you save a shopping cart. So, if you know you are going to order something, and are going to the store soon, put all the things in your cart and see what the price is - don't forget to add shipping, then when you go to the store get the prepaid. Come back, log in, open your cart and then pay.

Last edited:

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
I got a pre-paid card a few weeks ago. I feel much safer when I placed my last order. I also changed my Amazon and paypal account to pre-paid as well.

This is actually an extremely smart way to go if your worried about someone getting your info. I personally have alerts set up to notify me of all online purchases and any purchase above $20 and my bank BofA refunds any fraudulent purchases right away

Taintedhalo

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
Kentucky
I have a cc from years and years ago with a $500 limit I use and pay off after each use. So I'm thinking this might be just as secure as a prepaid???

Don't know I have only had one credit card and very rarely used it. Cancelled it yrs ago when I found walmart pre-paid. I hate paying cc companies the interest fee. I generally load my normal monthly budget for vaping all at once. That way I only get charged the $3 once and have plenty to buy my stuff with. On the other plus side because I am limited to what is on the card I never go over my budget. Not saying this is the best way just that this is what works for me.

sportyfortyeight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
dfw,texas,usa
Pp cards can get hacked too. I went to a bike rally a few years back and put a grand on a prepaid and on my way back stopped for gas and had nothing on it. I should have had 450 almost and I lost it due to the pp not having theft protection. Like its been said if they want it they will get it. Sad but true

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Corpa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
California
I hate paying cc companies the interest fee. I generally load my normal monthly budget for vaping all at once. .

Nope I don't do cc interest as I paid off immediately after I charge. The downside for me is I haven't been vaping long enough to know what it's going to cost and now there are 2 of us vaping. I do know I invested quite a bit until I found what works but I am still searching for the "perfect" all day juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread