Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
Good point CrispyCritter! Read the article, and it's really sad the lengths ppl will go to these days to take what's not theirs. In my case however, there'd have to be a way to take my cc# off Safari as I type it as my info isn't stored on my ipad. Not saying it couldn't be done, but considering I've used cc's for nearly as long as they've been in existance, ipad the same, and only had my account compromised since I started buying ecig supplies in mass quantities, it's pretty clear in my mind ...

Again, not blaming a vendor per se, but I do think someone was either hacked, or perhaps their security isn't up to snuff.
That is of course, my opinion.

edit: my ipad never leaves my home, and I live in a rural community (no nearby neighbors) so no one nearby is running any kind of 'scan'.

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Good point CrispyCritter! Read the article, and it's really sad the lengths ppl will go to these days to take what's not theirs. In my case however, there'd have to be a way to take my cc# off Safari as I type it as my info isn't stored on my ipad. Not saying it couldn't be done, but considering I've used cc's for nearly as long as they've been in existance, ipad the same, and only had my account compromised since I started buying ecig supplies in mass quantities, it's pretty clear in my mind ...

Again, not blaming a vendor per se, but I do think someone was either hacked, or perhaps their security isn't up to snuff.
That is of course, my opinion.

edit: my ipad never leaves my home, and I live in a rural community (no nearby neighbors) so no one nearby is running any kind of 'scan'.

Safari is just a browser like Firefox,Chrome or Internet Explorer that runs on your iPad and the info for it is most likely stored on your iPad unless Apple is storing your info on a cloud (which means if it is on a cloud the info is moving on your network)..also if an iPad had malware the info could be sent anywhere in the world without anyone being near your house. My friend uses a Safari browser on his Windows 7 netbook.

Also you have to be careful with WiFi because someone hundreds of feet or more away could be getting into your network. The RFID thing is more about your credit card in your pocket and it having a RFID chip in it..hackers are scanning people they are near and getting CC info.

I'm not saying any of this has happened but it's a good idea to check out all the security on your end just in case. A lot of people using Apple products have this false since of security when an Apple device really isn't any more secure than a Windows one it's just in the past Apple devices weren't worth the hackers time and that isn't true anymore...

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I'm a pc user from way back and never had any sort of false sense of security about Apple products. No Apple purists here lol! do understand computer/network security again, from way back. By mentioning my ipad I was simply responding to those that seemed so sure I had a virus or keylogger thing goin on.
Truth is I'll never be absolutely certain, but weighing the possibilities it seems fairly reasonable from where I'm sittin that none of my systems are compromised.
In any case you really can never be too careful, so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up and urge you all to keep a close eye on activity.

I've had a website hacked, and it's a pretty frequent occurance these days. Hey, I'm all about loyalty but to think it can't happen to a vendor especially with new ones popping up all the time is living with your head in the sand. :)

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I'm a pc user from way back and never had any sort of false sense of security about Apple products. No Apple purists here lol! do understand computer/network security again, from way back. By mentioning my ipad I was simply responding to those that seemed so sure I had a virus or keylogger thing goin on.
Truth is I'll never be absolutely certain, but weighing the possibilities it seems fairly reasonable from where I'm sittin that none of my systems are compromised.
In any case you really can never be too careful, so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up and urge you all to keep a close eye on activity.

I've had a website hacked, and it's a pretty frequent occurance these days. Hey, I'm all about loyalty but to think it can't happen to a vendor especially with new ones popping up all the time is living with your head in the sand. :)

I'm so used to people with Apple devices claiming that they are unhackable lol..there is some malware out there for Apple devices for sure. It could be the vendors site who knows I'm sure before too long if it is there will be a lot more reports..right now there isn't enough reports or info for me to decide.

In any case even if it was there site it wouldn't stop me from buying from them in the future (unless it wasn't resolved) but it could make me hesitate to see what happens. It's good for anyone with credit cards these days to keep an eye out. A lot of big sites out there have been hacked lately and any site could be..there is just so many way CC info can be gotten...

Corpa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
California
I somehow traced it back to an IT guy in california.

Whoa...I also traced mine back to a CA IT guy from his IP which appear in my firewall software MacAfee. After reading all the horror stories, I feel quite lucky that mine only made it to the pending stage at my credit union.

I contacted iTunes and the electronic seller (don't remember name) to alert them to the fraud transaction, both said Visa already red flagged because the 3 digit CSC was wrong.

Another software security I use is RoboForm (not affiliated in any way) so I am able to generate a new and different password consisting of 12-14 digits/characters/letters for all my online accounts. However I might add that I did have my credit card info stored in RoboForm when the theft occurred after that... I do not store any credit card numbers on any computer, plus RoboForm automatically fills forms just in case I have been hacked by keylogger software.

Just a reminder... no matter how small or large the theft, please make sure to file a report with your local sheriff or police department.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I lean to thinking there is a problem(s) in the ecig vendor community (whether a vendor or account processor idk). I've been purchasing items via the web since 1995 without issue until the past year - have had to cancel my card twice.

All my cards are used online, but only the one I use for ecig purchases has been hit (and then hit again after reissue).

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I lean to thinking there is a problem(s) in the ecig vendor community (whether a vendor or account processor idk). I've been purchasing items via the web since 1995 without issue until the past year - have had to cancel my card twice.

All my cards are used online, but only the one I use for ecig purchases has been hit (and then hit again after reissue).

I would hope from all the posts I've made in this thread you'll see that I for one agree with you completely ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread