Vertical Coil Oriented RDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
Just curious if anyone knows of anything other than the three I have found thus far: Lucid, VLS and Glory.

Most stock coils for non-rebuildable tanks are vertically oriented with the wicking around it but I can't find a rebuildable device ideal for this style using exotic coil builds rather than plain wires. Ideally tall, horizontally clamping posts with bottom airflow, offset like the merlin mini single coil deck for single coils (obviously), like a standard velocity deck for dual coils, or even 4 posts for a quad coil set-up.

I'm curious of any vertically oriented decks though, regardless of whether they fit this precise dream specification.

EDIT: Whilst I'm throwing out imaginary specs a three post design with relatively tall posts and an upper and lower hole in each would also work great for exotic builds - especially so with 4 bottom airflow holes.

Last edited:

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I like the look of the Origen v3 but it looks like it wouldn't be able to handle exotic builds. Some pictures are using it as a genesis atomiser (with mesh wick, which is the definition of a genesis as opposed to an rdta as far as I understand). Is this how you use it or just cotton wick? Never tried the hole mesh wick thing - it looks to me like a short waiting to happen :p

EDIT: Bombastinator I can't see that being the case, on dual/tri/quad/septillion coil tanks the innermost half/third/quarter/septillionth of each coil would get less juice and have the same issue, but don't. Horizontal coils on an rda only get dripped on from above but manage to saturate evenly. In fact, if you drip ontop of a vertical coil then the top is definitely juiced and any that doesn't get absorbed falls down onto the lower portion of the coil if not into the juice well where it will saturate upwards.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I like the look of the Origen v3 but it looks like it wouldn't be able to handle exotic builds. Some pictures are using it as a genesis atomiser (with mesh wick, which is the definition of a genesis as opposed to an rdta as far as I understand). Is this how you use it or just cotton wick? Never tried the hole mesh wick thing - it looks to me like a short waiting to happen :p
The OP specifically said RDA, so I’m assuming drippers. If genesis or rdta mods are involved the game changes completely.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
The alcatraz by Haze is a current favorite of mine. Single vertical with 3 airflow intakes spaced around the coil. The airflow goes through an ultem insert under the cap that also acts as a chamber reducer. Incredibly smooth and flavorful vape for me.

I believe there is a clone available but the authentic is also pretty easy to find.

Forgot to add: squonk only

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

EDIT: Bombastinator I can't see that being the case, on dual/tri/quad/septillion coil tanks the innermost half/third/quarter/septillionth of each coil would get less juice and have the same issue, but don't. Horizontal coils on an rda only get dripped on from above but manage to saturate evenly. In fact, if you drip ontop of a vertical coil then the top is definitely juiced and any that doesn't get absorbed falls down onto the lower portion of the coil if not into the juice well where it will saturate upwards.
It's definitely a dripper....origin also makes the origenny mkll which is an amazing genesis atty.
The v3 wouldn't be able to handle exotic coils. It's pretty old school . The cool part is, it doesn't need exotic coils. The flavor is amazing . I haven't used mine in over a year and I don't particularly like vertical coils. But if you want to run them, this is a great atty . It's a flavor atty . Restricted air and tons of flavor. Wicking with cotton works just fine. I hardly ever used mesh .

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
The alcatraz by Haze is a current favorite of mine. Single vertical with 3 airflow intakes spaced around the coil. The airflow goes through an ultem insert under the cap that also acts as a chamber reducer. Incredibly smooth and flavorful vape for me.

I believe there is a clone available but the authentic is also pretty easy to find.

Forgot to add: squonk only

If it wasn't squonk only I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Truly an ugly build deck, in the most beautiful way. Think I'll have to get a squonk mod to pair with that at some point. My list is growing so long...

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Best I've ever used is the origin v3. But my buddy @Don29palms highly recommends the lucid. He finally found an atty he likes better than the dead rabbit .:lol:
That's hilarious! :pervy: I like vertical coils. My Lucid is by far my favorite RDA. DO NOT GET THE LUCID CLONE! I don't use the bottom airflow on mine. I've put coils in it from plain round wire for tc to huge juggernaut coils. It can be finicky to build but not bad. If you don't build it correctly you'll have a bad experience. You must put the coils out as far as you can and centered in the airflow. If you do that it's amazing IN MY OPINION.

Last edited:

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
That's hilarious! :pervy: I like vertical coils. My Lucid is by far my favorite RDA. DO NOT GET THE LUCID CLONE! I don't use the bottom airflow on mine. I've put coils in it from plain round wire for tc to huge juggernaut coils. It can be finicky to build but not bad. If you don't build it correctly you'll have a bad experience. You must put the coils out as far as you can and centered in the airflow. If you do that it's amazing IN MY OPINION.

I have a clone and it was a pain in the bottom to build on - I did turn the bottom airflow control upside down to make it enjoyable. I watched a review of the real thing and realised the crucial difference between the two. The springs in the clone are far too long, the screws too short and the horizontal bit of the clamp are too short compared to the real one. This means that you unscrew them about 0.5mm and they fling off and are a nightmare to reposition. When I have more free time I'll try remove the springs and put some longer screws in there to see if it is more usable as I can't afford the real thing.

451 Big Block and Jai Haze's 502 are good with verticals (I own the 451, not the 502 which is admittedly derivative). It's also easy to put verticals in the So Horny, the UD igo W6, and the velocity.

I've considered a clone of the 502 because I hate Jai Haze so much I don't want him to make any money off of me :p I hadn't considered the So Horny for vertical coils but with such tall posts it would be great actually! Will check out the others too now :)

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I’ve been wondering how the flavor would be different in a vertical mounted coil RDA vs horizontal. Seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for them on here. I don’t see many people talking about them generally.

I’d like to order one probably a clone. It seems the Origen V3 has been the most discussed one on this thread.

If anyone has ano other suggestions b4 ordering that would be great. TX

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
RDA I would think if the air comes from the bottom you could build it vertical if you tried.
Don't worry so much about the legs. If you get hot legs because of the length of one (make your negative the long leg) worry about that later.

I've build the original rebuild deck for TFV4 vertical and that had an extremely long leg. The RCA deck and Kanger Subtank rebuild decks are a breeze, although not exactly centered the clamp screws are up off the base so not as bad as the original TFV4 where both legs go to the base.

They type of build deck with 2 posts, yeah that could be done. You need to leave a rod in the coil so you don't bend it around while you're packing the wicking.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
RDA I would think if the air comes from the bottom you could build it vertical if you tried.
Don't worry so much about the legs. If you get hot legs because of the length of one (make your negative the long leg) worry about that later.

I've build the original rebuild deck for TFV4 vertical and that had an extremely long leg. The RCA deck and Kanger Subtank rebuild decks are a breeze, although not exactly centered the clamp screws are up off the base so not as bad as the original TFV4 where both legs go to the base.

They type of build deck with 2 posts, yeah that could be done. You need to leave a rod in the coil so you don't bend it around while you're packing the wicking.

Thanks! I think I’ll play around with this setup this week.

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
all the velocity style decks can be built flat or vertical and most you can reconfig the poss + post to swing it around to install large single vertical coil just like my avatar pic (thats a modified aromamizer supreme deck)

the 454 is nice flavorful deck but can be a tricky build if your new with just single + post and 4 wires to connect surprized no one mentioned the vicious ant mini and big rda's they are easy quad builds .

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
View media item 429613View media item 429606View media item 429605
that is on a steamcrave aromamizer supreme but as mentioned most velocity decks are reconfigurable by swinging the poss post around .

on this rta i recomend finding a very small piece of silicone tube or an old vape band and cut a small blanking tab to place under the post when in its new position to block the juice feed hole under it just so you dont need to try and feed a wick under it .
if you dont cover the said juice hole with wick or tab it will flood .all other juice feed holes are good if covered with wick as you see i have even enlarged mine for better wicking .dont need to stuff wick down into holes just flare it out across the top of holes and it should wick perfectly .

with a good build it will produce some real thick dense vapor and smoothe

good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread