Not open for further replies.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Greetings all,

I'm very new to DIY juice. My ADV at this point is Menthol Sensation bought at myvaporstore. I'm just looking to make a basic menthol. Currently my juice is 80/20 (pg/vg) but I'm looking to move to 70/30. I have TPA/TFA menthol, pg, vg and 100mg nic in pg. I also have TPA peppermint. I want my juice to end up at 2.4% nic.

Can someone recommend a good starter recipe? I know I have a lot to learn. I'm really trying to avoid having to order my juice online again. I've got recipe calculators and have looked over the threads but most seem to need flavors I don't have and I need to mix some stuff up pretty quickly.

In short, I can use the juice calculator if someone can give me percentages for the menthol and/or peppermint flavors I have. I also have azure vaping menthol which is just the crystals in alcohol. Very strong. But I don't have a lot of it. Maybe 4 mls. I don't know if the TPA menthol is like this or is more a "flavoring".

Thanks for any help!

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
I am a mint,menthol kind of guy as well- My current vape is - hope you try it.

Peppermint 8%
Menthol 3%
Koolada 3%
Creme de Menthe 3%
EM - a drop per 5ml - optional

Thanks for the recipe. Unfortunately, all I have at hand is the menthol and peppermint. No EM or anything else. You reckon I could just omit the other 3 ingredients? Also, are your percentages for TFA/TPA flavors or does it matter?

Thanks again!

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
They are all TFA flavors- The Creme De menth does a good job of smoothing the mix. Koolada has little to no flavor but gives that icy feeling. Get them both your next order. I was a 35 yr menthol smoker and vape menthol-mints exclusively but I think I enjoy the mints more than menthol.

Thanks. I might have some creme de menthe, I'll have to look. I bought a sampling of flavors but since learned that I don't want to use many of them due to coloring or other issues. Kind of why I want to stick just with menthol though peppermint seems to be ok. I'll try a small batch with what I have. Next order, which will have to be next month, I'll get the Koolada. Juice really is my only monthly expense at this point as I have enough wire and cotton to last a year. I'd really like to get that expense under control as well as I know it can be done.

It may be that I can come up with something that is not the same as "Menthol Sensation" but just as satisfying. If I can match it though, I'd be pretty happy....

smurfdude

Feb 22, 2014
Cannock UK
Thanks. I might have some creme de menthe, I'll have to look. I bought a sampling of flavors but since learned that I don't want to use many of them due to coloring or other issues. Kind of why I want to stick just with menthol though peppermint seems to be ok. I'll try a small batch with what I have. Next order, which will have to be next month, I'll get the Koolada. Juice really is my only monthly expense at this point as I have enough wire and cotton to last a year. I'd really like to get that expense under control as well as I know it can be done.

It may be that I can come up with something that is not the same as "Menthol Sensation" but just as satisfying. If I can match it though, I'd be pretty happy....

Don't forget to let us know if you do :)

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
crystals dissolved in vodka is all I ever use and thats all I use

To you and Minitater: Do you have a preferred source for your crystals? How much crystal do you add to how much vodka?

I understand there are natural menthol and synthetic menthol crystals. I'd prefer to keep away from the synthetic, how can you tell what you're getting when you're buying?

Thanks!

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
Never heard of synthetic crystals, last year I bought 8ozs from Buy Soap Making Supplies & Ingredients Online | Bulk Essential Oils, Fragrance Oils Camden-Grey Essential Oils, Inc. I still have some , about an oz and they are great, before that I think I got them from e cig express, and my freedom smokes both seemed fine as well, I do a 5/1 mix, 5ml dry measure crystals to 1 ml vodka, a warm bath and its good to go, the rest is to your taste, I use 2.5 ml mixed menthol mix to 14ml 60mg base, 4mlpg , 8mlvg , hope something here helps,,That 2.5ml menthol mix is down from 5 ml menthol , a bit out of control there for a while , vaped unflavored for a month and reduced it to where I am at now 1/2 the menthol

Last edited:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Here is a good one for peppermint ice / wintergreen ice:

TFA Koolada 10%
TFA wintergreen OR peppermint 2%
Menthol liquid 2%
EM 1%

-I have been vaping the wintergreen version and it is AWESOME. It is a totally clear liquid and tastes great immediately, IMO. I am enjoying this right now! -It has a nice bite to it, just like when you chew a Lifesavers wintergreen candy! ;)

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon

TFA Koolada 10%
Menthol liquid 2%
EM 1%

-I have been vaping the wintergreen version and it is AWESOME. It is a totally clear liquid and tastes great immediately, IMO. I am enjoying this right now! -It has a nice bite to it, just like when you chew a Lifesavers wintergreen candy! ;)

What is EM, if I may ask? Any concerns regarding health issues? One of the reasons I want to stick with pure menthol (I think), is that I've read enough to know that some flavorings contain substances I don't really want in my body.....

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Ethyl Maltol is a common ingredient in food confectioneries. It is sold as "cotton candy flavor" by various flavor vendors. Not only is it used as a sweetener, it is also used to smooth out certain flavors. I swear by it with some fruit and tobacco flavors. An essential DIY.

Perfumers Apprentice - Cotton Candy Flavor

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon

TFA Koolada 10%
Menthol liquid 2%
EM 1%

Ok, reporting back as promised. I tried the recipe above. Found it a bit too harsh and lacking in the smoothness of menthol sensation. However, I doubled the menthol (I used the peppermint not the wintergreen) and added 9 drops of 18mg vanilla e-juice to smooth it out. Still not quite as smooth as menthol sensation but a very good start! Got to find out what's adding the harshness. I made mine to be 50/50 pg/vg mix, 18mg nic. The menthol sensation is 80/20 pg/vg mix.

I'll keep working on it once I vape up the 15ml I just made :)

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
Ok, reporting back as promised. I tried the recipe above. Found it a bit too harsh and lacking in the smoothness of menthol sensation. However, I doubled the menthol (I used the peppermint not the wintergreen) and added 9 drops of 18mg vanilla e-juice to smooth it out. Still not quite as smooth as menthol sensation but a very good start! Got to find out what's adding the harshness. I made mine to be 50/50 pg/vg mix, 18mg nic. The menthol sensation is 80/20 pg/vg mix.

I'll keep working on it once I vape up the 15ml I just made :)

To me, Koolada can be harsh if above 3%. I sometimes use it as a throat hit booster in high VG non menthol mixes. Of course, taste is subjective!

I only vape menthol when I'm in the mood, but when I do, it is mainly a tobacco menthol, so won't be much help. I've tried the 1 drop of menthol from TFA per ml and it can be satisfying, I just get bored with it.

I hope you find what you're looking for, I know you will, but I hope it's soon for ya. That first recipe sounds good though

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
To me, Koolada can be harsh if above 3%. I sometimes use it as a throat hit booster in high VG non menthol mixes. Of course, taste is subjective!

I only vape menthol when I'm in the mood, but when I do, it is mainly a tobacco menthol, so won't be much help. I've tried the 1 drop of menthol from TFA per ml and it can be satisfying, I just get bored with it.

I hope you find what you're looking for, I know you will, but I hope it's soon for ya. That first recipe sounds good though

Yeah, I'm going to cut back on the Koolada next time, and use vanilla flavoring instead of juice. The vanilla is barely perceptible but it did help smooth it out and adds a nice little something :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread