VG/PG Red face rash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anelms

Jun 29, 2011
California
Hi everyone, new guy here. I've been vaping for about a year now with no issues. It was great up until i noticed a red rash around my mouth... below my chin area and a little bit in the in crook of my nose. I can't figure out if it is the PG or VG or flavoring.:confused: I bought a bottle of pure VG and pure PG, to test them out alone. I started on the pure VG two days ago and it seemed to have made the rash worse or more inflamed, but it could also, have been just a delayed reaction from the previous stuff mix. Not sure yet... BUT because it looked worse today, i switched to the pure PG (well tried to anyway) it was nasty tasting, like chemical perfume taste that burnt my tongue. :unsure: Very bad... i've never had pure PG before but i can't imagine it should taste like that, right? Maybe, pure PG is not so good with an ego-C tank? My first thought was that they (americaneliquid.com) mistakenly put PEG in bottle or something... dunno... anyway, i digress. If anyone has been having red face rash/break-out/bumps on face, and figured out which of the two it the nasty little trouble maker, please help a brother out with some info. I don't want to have to give up vaping, but worried this allergy could turn into a full blown out-of-control reaction... so if i can't resolve this rash issue soon I fear will have to stop completely. :(

kelleymcm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
oklahoma city
Why do you think it's vaping related ??
If you have been vaping for a year ...why would you have problems now ?
New flavor ?

...could just be something else you have come across ...pet/plant/food/stress ?
Does it calm down if you take Benadryl (allergy meds)?

the possibilities are endless....

I'm there myself, have had itchy hives all week ...I have them often....
& just about when I think I KNOW whats causing 'em ....they usually clear up :facepalm:

liveone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
I've had some strange symptoms myself lately which are dissipating but still haven't figure it out.

First, numb ears. Like I got bad frostbite on the top tips of my ears. Found out they were numb one day as I was shampooing. Cleared up after a few days. Had no idea why but now that it's gone, not worried anymore.

Severely chapped lips. Actually my lips were completely numb, then a few days later started chafing dead skin. Did I drink too much, chain vape, and burn my lips badly with an overheating carto/stainless steel ming tip? Or did I fall asleep with a bunch of juice on my lips that sucked the moisture out? Dunno.

Unsolved mysteries to me.

Anelms

Jun 29, 2011
California
Did you ever get a rash on your face? Seems like there are two main symptoms. Either, hives in the corners of elbows and behind the knees with itchy ness at night. Then the hives on the face which i've begun to think might be vapor contact from the nic but who knows... i will post when i figure out what my deal is... But i would be nervous, to continue using VG or PG at any dose when mixing, if i have an allergy to one. Seems like completely cutting out the problem would be best to avoid a potentially bigger allergy reactions later... dunno though.

Last edited:

Anelms

Jun 29, 2011
California
Ooops, posted in wrong spot before. Hehe
Did you ever get a rash on your face? Seems like there are two main symptoms. Either, hives in the corners of elbows and behind the knees with itchy ness at night. Then the hives on the face which i've begun to think might be vapor contact from the nic but who knows... i will post when i figure out what my deal is... But i would be nervous, to continue using VG or PG at any dose when mixing, if i have an allergy to one. Seems like completely cutting out the problem would be best to avoid a potentially bigger allergy reactions later... dunno though.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
High PG used to bother me. Gave me hives. I had to go all VG and slowly work PG back in and it was fine...gradually had to build myself up. As for dry skin, are you drinking enough water? If not, I recommend it. Also, flavorings can cause problems. Have you tried something new or has your vendor switched flavor companies? Might be worth shooting them an email and asking.

Anelms

Jun 29, 2011
California
Why do you think it's vaping related ??
If you have been vaping for a year ...why would you have problems now ?
New flavor ?

...could just be something else you have come across ...pet/plant/food/stress ?
Does it calm down if you take Benadryl (allergy meds)?

the possibilities are endless....

I'm there myself, have had itchy hives all week ...I have them often....
& just about when I think I KNOW whats causing 'em ....they usually clear up :facepalm:

Have you been getting hives on face of only on lower body?

Anelms

Jun 29, 2011
California
100% VG gave me hives all over my body I am now at 70pg 30VG and I am having no problems

Anelms

Jun 29, 2011
California
High PG used to bother me. Gave me hives. I had to go all VG and slowly work PG back in and it was fine...gradually had to build myself up. As for dry skin, are you drinking enough water? If not, I recommend it. Also, flavorings can cause problems. Have you tried something new or has your vendor switched flavor companies? Might be worth shooting them an email and asking.

Did you get hives on face or body? Seems like some are allergic to PG (body hives) and some VG (face rash). Seems like there are different symptoms between the two.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Did you get hives on face or body? Seems like some are allergic to PG (body hives) and some VG (face rash). Seems like there are different symptoms between the two.

I got hives and big itchy red patches. However i can vape anything I want to now.

Sent from my kitty paws...www.phiniac.com

kelleymcm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
oklahoma city
My hives are worst on the back of my head & around hairline/neck, behind my ears.
But they can also come up on my chest, my throat ,bottom of my chin .
And I have had them on forehead,eyebrows & my eyes will itch ...
I am allergic to a lot of plants tho ...so it's always a hit & miss w/me :D
No way to really know what's gettin' me most days

...but high PG definitely irritates the whole mess & makes my throat feel like it is closing up ...swelling...

I do know in other allergy situations,
IE: my asthmatic son,when his allergies result in hives...his hives are behind knees & elbows .
which is common in respiratory issues (I think?)

where mine seem to be more head/neck ...? ,maybe cuz I have more sinus & topical/skin allergies ....

...so that brings me back to my Op ...there are way too many variable's involved in hives .

Corona

Oct 17, 2009
Tri-State Area
I posted this somewhere else on the forum... and it sounds like your symptoms are worse than mine but ...

Just a heads up, been vaping 100% pg for 3 years. Around 6 weeks ago I developed acne and eczema-like lesions on my face, neck and other parts of my body. And I was itching like crazy! No change in my flavors, vendors, juice, etc.
No change in my soaps, detergent, etc. After reading some posts from others regarding pg sensitivity, I ordered some 100% vg and used it for two weeks straight.
ALL SYMPTOMS WENT AWAY! I switched back to my normal pg, guess what----my face/body starting itching and breaking out again!
I switched back to 100% vg and all symptoms cleared up again! It seems ridiculous after 3 years of vaping but that's what happened.
I have now added back some pg to my liquid, around 5-10% because the throat hit and flavor are soooooooooooooooo much better with the pg added and it seems like I can tolerate this small percentage.

I am using cartomizers and the vg does seem to shorten their lifespan but the crazy effect on my skin is not worth it. I am just shocked that this could occur after all this time vaping!

I also starting cutting out all the products I was using that contained PG

Good luck!

martyg1950

Jun 28, 2012
UK
Hi from the Uk :)

My first vape was using the only juice I could find at the time, which was 70/30 pg/vg.

Blistered mouth, red rashes on my face, not nice and not a great introduction to vapeing!

On the UkVapers forum I read all about other peoples similar experiences so I bought some mixing liquids and a big bottle of VG.

As soon as I made the switch to (roughly) 70/30 vg/pg all symptoms cleared up and I've had no problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread