Virginia smoking ban dec. 1 !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Charleston, SC
Too bad. I guess it would make sense for the state to stay out of whatever private businesses want to do. Shame they couldn't leave it for businesses to decide on the behavior of customers-LOL!

I am still loving the restaurants and bars that put the non-smokers outside. If I were there, they'd have all my business.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
The Virginia ban says "lighted" cigarettes, too. So the Health Dept. checked one e cig website, saw the PV has a light on the end, and decided it was in fact "lighted" and therefore fell under the ban (along with other equally stupid reasons).

That is truly asinine! The term "lighted" in all smoking ban ordinances that use that term means burning - as in lit on fire. Some ordinances use the term "lighted", some use the term "burning" itself, but in ALL of them the term "lighted" is synonymous with "burning"!
:evil:

Any judge in a court of law would be even more likely to roll on the floor laughing over a claim that an LED light constituted "lighted" in the context of a smoking ban, at least two or three more rolls on the floor than over a claim that a cylindrical tube with nothing in it but a liquid fit the universal legal definition of a "cigarette" (roll of tobacco, etc, etc), or a claim that vapor constituted "smoke".

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
I'm still stuck on this ludicrous statement of Hagy's.

I'd love to see someone do a little demonstration for him at the Dept. of Health:

20-Unit-Display-Board.jpg

Take a mini-LED pin, stick it in the end of a real, tobacco cigarette, go to the Dept. of Health offices, take this "lighted" cigarette out of your pocket, hold your wrists out in front of you for cuffing, and say "arrest me, I'm violating the smoking ban - I'm carrying a "lighted" cigarette"!

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Webby, I take it back. Anyone who can afford a Holiday Inn in college over Motel 6 is destined for success.

Yvilla, trying to speak to Hagy was like conversing with a brick wall. His philosophy is that it's called a cigarette, the one they saw on the website was white with an orange LED and tan tip and therefore looked like a cigarette, ergo it IS a cigarette under the "any kind of cigarette" wording.

I'm not sure which of their ridiculous definitions I think qualifies for the Stupid Government Definition of the Year Award: a metal tube with no tobacco being called a cigarette; a complete revamping of what "smoke" means to eliminate the basic requirement of combustion; or, that "lighted" means illuminated rather than burning when addressing cigarettes. Frankly, I think they all deserve the award.

He did say an employee at Health had an e cig and was going to bring it in to demonstrate for him, but he was off that day. I have no idea if she ever brought it in since I haven't heard from him and don't expect to until after the first of the year - if then.

We also don't want to forget that the purported reason for a smoking ban is to eliminate secondhand cigarette smoke, not cigarettes and not nicotine. To ban e cigs is to reveal the real reason for bans - smoking of any kind, real or imagined, must not be seen in public.

Oldlady, Virginia has a long history of rebeling against tyranny (which our politicians have forgotten)...the restaurant owners who are putting nonsmokers on the patio are carrying on that tradition. I just hope that kind of peaceful but pointed rebellion continues and expands. It is long overdue. Property rights and individual freedom are being eroded and it has to stop somewhere.

oldlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Charleston, SC
Storyspinr,

You are so right about Viriginia's history. I have always been proud to be a native of the "rebel" state: tinderbox of the revolution, capital of the Confederacy and all that. Indeed, I have always looked to Virginia to serve as a bastion of common sense in a nation otherwise prone to drift. . .

I am praying the "second invasion" hasn't changed all that. . .

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Storyspinr,

You are so right about Viriginia's history. I have always been proud to be a native of the "rebel" state: tinderbox of the revolution, capital of the Confederacy and all that. Indeed, I have always looked to Virginia to serve as a bastion of common sense in a nation otherwise prone to drift. . .

I am praying the "second invasion" hasn't changed all that. . .

Oh, yes, I think the "second invasion" did the trick. A representative of the 3rd wave of aliens arrived on my deck last Saturday in the midst of the Virginia blizzard.

View attachment 5655

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Vocalek, I'd recognize those ears anywhere. Spock. It figures. Using e cigs is logical.

On the other hand, the Health Department is the Borg. Resistance is futile. (Oh, yeah?)

We actually went on a Star Trek cruise years ago. On the way back to Miami, the ship turned around (kinda strange to see us passing our own wake). A group of Cubans in a raft had been spotted on radar; the ship's crew lowered the lifeboats and rescued them, bringing them aboard. We came up with the perfect headline: Star Trek Cruise Rescues Aliens.

That was when you could still smoke on cruise ships.....wonder what their e cig policy is?

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I was vaping in walmart today in Ashland Va. for like an hour and when I was leaving someone finally spoke up and said," Sir, you can't smoke in here." I turned to her and showed the e-cig and said, "I'm not smoking, It's an electric cigarette" (with the attitude like it was ok) And she said, "Oh ok!" in those exact words, and that was the end of it. This was the first time anyone has ever confronted me in public about vaping and believe me I have vaped all over the place in public.

Starting to consider moving to a less conservative state. I've been to all my favorite bars and so far 2/17 allow me to vape. Grevey's is the one location that really stands out when it comes to welcoming vapers. They're even considering selling e-juice out of convenience. I promised the managers I would say something good about them on here, so there's my good deed for the day.

Applebee's (depending on location) welcomes vapers but only during the regular times they allowed smokers before the ban. Each location has their own views, but I've been talking to different managers to have a full approval in all locations.

I'll probably work on Friday's, Sweet Water, Uno's, and Olive Garden next week. Kind of strange how so many of these locations would allow someone with nicotine gum, patches, or an inhaler but not allow someone to suck flavored water vapor through a tube and watch football. :(

indyxlt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2009
New England
Picture this: November, 2010, 435 U.S. representatives and 30 something U.S. senators out of work. Democrat or Republican doesn't matter. Re-elect no one. It wouldn't take very many elections like this for politicians to realize that they don't work for the presidential administration. They don't work for the party bosses. They work for us.

The same would work for state and local government also.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Yvilla, trying to speak to Hagy was like conversing with a brick wall. His philosophy is that it's called a cigarette, the one they saw on the website was white with an orange LED and tan tip and therefore looked like a cigarette, ergo it IS a cigarette under the "any kind of cigarette" wording.

He did say an employee at Health had an e cig and was going to bring it in to demonstrate for him, but he was off that day. I have no idea if she ever brought it in since I haven't heard from him and don't expect to until after the first of the year - if then.

Storyspinr (or any other VA CASAA members near Hagy's office),

I'll gladly ship a 510 kit to Hagy (or preferably, one of you who would take it by and demo it in person.) if someone will PM me with an address. We sent an e-cigar to Gov. Schwarzenegger (and received a nice form letter response) so CASAA certainly doesn't mind providing the materials to help prove our side's argument.

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Webby, we really appreciate the offer, but I doubt Hagy would do much with it. I'm waiting until after the first of the year to contact him again; I sent him links to various sites and I'll be curious to see if the employee brought the e cig in to demonstrate for him. However, I suspect our best bet will be to wait until after January 16th, when the new GOP administration takes over. The incoming Attorney General may be our greatest hope for getting a positive ruling that e cigs do not violate the ban.

Once I speak with Hagy again, maybe I can get a better idea of whether or not he has changed his mind or is more open to doing so. He claims it wasn't his decision alone, so just convincing him may not do much good (and I suspect he's pretty stuck on their ridiculous definitions).

However, if I think sending him a kit will do some good, you can bet I'll let you know!

justincase

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2009
33.98801111° N, 77.90895581° W
Not that I am doing anything different that what you all are doing, I too, emailed those guys. And I'm not even from Virginia! Hagy is away until after the new year, but someone else in his office replied to my email. Of course, I replied back, for what it's worth. Here is our exchange:

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:44:50 PM
To: Hagy, Gary (VDH)
Subject: Question regarding the smoking ban
Auto forwarded by a Rule

Mr. Hagy,

I would like more information on how it was determined that electronic cigarettes are considered cigarettes. As I'm sure you are aware, electronic cigarettes contain no tobacco, do not need to be ignited, and they produce no smoke.

G.S. § 15.2-2820 clearly define smoking as "Smoke" or "smoking" means the carrying or holding of any lighted pipe, cigar, or cigarette of any kind, or any other lighted smoking equipment, or the lighting, inhaling, or exhaling of smoke from a pipe, cigar, or cigarette of any kind.

So again, I would like clarification as to where in the LAW electronic cigarettes can be included when clearly they are not lit or producing smoke of any kind that is being inhaled or exhaled.

A timely response would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Gordon, Christopher (VDH) <Christopher.Gordon@vdh.virginia.gov> wrote:
Ms. XXXXX;

Thank you for contacting the Virginia State Health Department regarding your question about the prohibition of electronic cigarettes in the Clean Indoor Air Act, Title 15.2-2820 Definitions. Your question was referred to me for response. As you have identified the appropriate section where the terms "smoke" and "smoking" are defined, I've bolded and underlined the relevant portions below:

"Smoke" or "smoking" means the carrying or holding of any lighted pipe, cigar, or cigarette of any kind, or any other lighted smoking equipment, or the lighting, inhaling, or exhaling of smoke from a
pipe, cigar, or cigarette of any kind.

Electronic cigarettes are included in the definition of 'cigarette of any kind' since it does allow users to inhale nicotine vapor. The Food and Drug Administration released their study of electronic cigarettes earlier this year where they identified diethylene glycol (toxic to humans) along with nicotine in the inhaled vapor from electronic cigarettes and cautioned against its use. If you have further questions or need more information, please contact me.

Chris Gordon
Environmental Health Manager

Food & Dairy Program, OEHS
109 Governor's Street, 5th Floor
Richmond, VA 23219
work: 804-864-7417
blackberry: 804-840-0114
fax: 804-864-7475

-------------------------------------------

Mr. Gordon,

Thank you for such a timely response. However, I still feel there is a major mis-interpretation here. Per § 58.1-1031, a cigarette is define as: Cigarette means any product that contains nicotine, is intended to be burned or heated under ordinary conditions of use, and consists of or contains (i) any roll of tobacco wrapped in paper or in any substance not containing tobacco; (ii) tobacco, in any form, that is functional in the product, which, because of its appearance, the type of tobacco used in the filler, or its packaging and labeling, is likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as a cigarette; or (iii) any roll of tobacco wrapped in any substance containing tobacco which, because of its appearance, the type of tobacco used in the filler, or its packaging and labeling, is likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as a cigarette described in clause (i) of this definition. The term "cigarette" includes "roll-your-own" tobacco, which means any tobacco which, because of its appearance, type, packaging, or labeling is suitable for use and likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as tobacco for making cigarettes. For purposes of this definition of 'cigarette,' 0.09 ounces of "roll-your-own" tobacco shall constitute one individual 'cigarette.

Clearly, there is in no way in which an electronic cigarette can meet the state's definition of a cigarette since it does not contain tobacco.

Furthermore, your response stated that "Smoke" or "Smoking" was defined as carrying or holding of any lighted pipe, cigar or cigarette of any kind..............inhaling, or exhaling of smoke.

As well as not containing tobacco, electronic cigarettes do not get lit and they do not produce smoke. From the glossary of Scientific Definitions, smoke is defined as: Particles suspended in air after incomplete combustion.

Clearly there is no way an electronic cigarette is capable of com-busting anything.

Finally, I can't understand why the Department of Health seems so intent on trying to regulate something that is literally saving lives. Would you rather me to continue "smoking" "cigarettes" with there known 4000+ ingredients that are know to cause cancer and kill people?

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Very interesting, Justincase. So now they are claiming inhaling nicotine vapor qualifies the PV as a "cigarette", which is one of the most ridiculous claims I've yet seen.

The response you received also discussed the FDA's report of finding "diethylene glycol" in the "inhaled vapor" from e cigs. That is absolutely incorrect. The FDA never tested the "inhaled vapor", only the liquid in the cartridges...and then only one contained a small amount of diethylene glycol; the other 18 contained the "generally considered safe" propylene glycol.

They are working overtime to come up with excuses to include the e cig by using outrageous definitions and claims. Virginia is becoming a laughingstock...and deservedly so. I'm sure some legislators who voted on the bill will be most interested to hear how one department is essentially rewriting their law...something that sets a dangerous precedent for all laws that any department wants to "alter" based on a personal agenda.

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Justincase, I finally opened the actual FDA report (pdf files make my computer freak out, but in this case I was finally successful). While I had been told they didn't test the vapor, here's what they actually did, with the results. They used what is essentially a smoking machine to, in their words, "mimic what MAY be volatilized during use of the product". Aside from the fact a machine can never precisely replicate human inhalation, the results are even worse for Gordon's response. It proves he never read the report.

If you haven't had a chance to read the report yourself, here are the results, directly from the FDA report, on the machine "vapor" testing of Smoking Everywhere and NJoy carts, should you decide to respond to Gordon. Please note items in brackets are my comments, not from the report. "Nicotine was detected in both products for all cartridges containing low, medium and high levels of nicotine but was not observed in cartridges identified as containing no nicotine." [In other words, the "vapor" contained precisely what the manufacturers claimed.] "Screening for the possible tobacco specific impurities cotinine, nicotine-N-oxide, nornicotine, anabasine and myosmine was negative." They then tested the levels of nicotine: "Levels found were consistent with the labeling (low, medium and high); however, the cartridge labeled "no" still delivered some nicotine" [this was a tiny amount and, according to the chart, was found in only one of five no-nic products tested].

The chart on the "simulated use" testing never mentions diethylene glycol. It only reveals results for "nicotine", "cotinine", and "B-nicotyrine". So, if you decide to respond, you can advise Mr. Gordon the FDA in fact makes no mention of DEG in the vapor.

I appreciate your posting the response since you gave me a heads-up for dealing with Mr. Hagy, should he bring up that part of the FDA test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread