Vivi Nova Rebuild tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
That sleeve is one of the first things I removed from the head I rebuilt. It looked amazingly like nylon, similar to the sleeve on 550/jump cord.
Not nylon, probability silica. I torched it and it got red hot. The holes are so perfect I think the coil goes thru it. Have to take a closer look on the next one. Looks like it was their solution to keeping the long legs wet and preventing the rubber grommet from burning

Last edited:

Lumpia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Tucson, AZ
BJ, that is a possibility. The legs were run down the center of this like you described, and the wick runs through the slot in the top. Even if it is Silica though, I won't leave them in there, all my wicks will be swapped to cotton asap, as I didn't get any warm fuzzy feelings when handling the wicks, and seeing silca hair come off like a dog shedding it's winter coat. YMMV

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
BJ, that is a possibility. The legs were run down the center of this like you described, and the wick runs through the slot in the top. Even if it is Silica though, I won't leave them in there, all my wicks will be swapped to cotton asap, as I didn't get any warm fuzzy feelings when handling the wicks, and seeing silca hair come off like a dog shedding it's winter coat. YMMV
I agree on taking them off but if it were nylon it would melt when torched.

Lumpia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Since it is related to rebuilds, I'm looking for suggestions. I have tried a number of times with cotton wicks. What I'm running into is that I literally drip into the coil and take a hit, and it burns cotton. This is on an old ego (first gen) manuall battery. It's not like I'm ripping the voltage on it or anything, just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Have tried all resistances from 1.8 to ~2.4, I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong resistance wire for the coil and it's getting too hot, or if I'm just missing something simple. Any (constructive) input would be greatly appreciated.

ratpack7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Since it is related to rebuilds, I'm looking for suggestions. I have tried a number of times with cotton wicks. What I'm running into is that I literally drip into the coil and take a hit, and it burns cotton. This is on an old ego (first gen) manuall battery. It's not like I'm ripping the voltage on it or anything, just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Have tried all resistances from 1.8 to ~2.4, I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong resistance wire for the coil and it's getting too hot, or if I'm just missing something simple. Any (constructive) input would be greatly appreciated.

First thing if you are using a multimeter touch the leads together and check what they read then subtract that from your head reading.

If your not using a multimeter then what gauge wire are you using? and how many wraps? you might need more wraps or different wire.

Also don't wrap your wire to tight. I had that problem when I started rebuilding. The coil should be lose enough for the wick to move back and forth since cotton swells when it sucks up your juice.

Lumpia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Ratpack, that 1.8 - ~2.4 is the calibrated reading, sorry I wasn't clear about that before. I am using a multimeter, I wouldn't even try hooking up an ego to an untested head.

I'm using 32 gauge NiChrome, with between 5 and 8 wraps.

I may be wrapping too tight, when I pull on the wick (testing on a burned wick head) the coil moves back and forth with the wick.

Flyer, on one of the wicks I did last night, I still had issues, even after dripping, filling, rolling, laying it on its side overnight, and then rolling it again in the morning. That one at least lasted one hit, and I thought I had it, but the 2nd hit was burning cotton, so I pulled the head and put a stock one back in and went to work.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Going to try one more before bed. Will try not to wrap it so tight, and I may be getting too much wick in there, and choking it.

ratpack7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Going to try one more before bed. Will try not to wrap it so tight, and I may be getting too much wick in there, and choking it.

That what I was doing. The coil was choking off the wick so the center where it was the hottest would burn the cotton. I found wicks burnt in half when I went to re-wick them.

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
What kind of cotton are you using. I took me several attempts using cheesecloth or cotton roll to find the right density. The roll especially swells quite a bit. I was making mine from too much material, rolling them too tight and choking the coil. IT also helped me to hold the wick along with a straight pin while wrapping the coil. I think this helps coil the coil loose enough around the wick.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I think a smaller gauge wire may be in order, 8 wraps of 32 isn't ideal haha. I got that one wrapped, came in right at 2.0, Gonna let it soak for a few, then give it a try.

34 gauge works well with 4-5 wraps. I usually end up with 2.2 ohms with one of those numbers, depending upon how big the wick is.

Also, give the wick at least several minutes to soak up the liquid. Depending upon how dense the wick is, it can take longer. Less dense wicks will feed juice better while you vape, too.

When I'm taking the first few hits, I only fire for 1-2 seconds, but continue to draw for a couple more. That seems to pull in the liquid better after the coil has warmed. Once I start getting a decent amount of vapor for a 2 sec hit, then it's good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread