Voodoo Drag Auto Firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellybeen101

Apr 19, 2018
Hello,

I have a voopoo drag 157w (aka Resign) and its not that old. But on Sunday, it was sitting on a table by itself, no one near it, and I luckily was looking at it at the time, the screen lit up (as if I had pressed the fire button once) then it started firing and didn't stop until I took the batteries out. Its been doing that very since. You have to hit it a few times then it will just fire by itself and you either have to push the fire button once to get it to stop (but it would immediately start auto firing again) or take out the batteries. I went to my local vape store and had them take a look at it. They re created the problem, so they waited for it to start auto firing, and the guy there said he has no idea. He said the button is clearly NOT STICKING. So its probably an internal or chip issue. Anyone have anything or any suggestions that could help me?? I love this mod but its too dangerous to use right now!

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Debris in the switch or a loose connection is what comes to mind.

A software problem is always repeatable. Send the same command or same string to a faulty logic and you get the same answer.

A hardware or mechanical glitch has more variables. Temperature, humidity, airflow, air quality, debris, corrosion, the way you hold your tongue when you press the button with the right pressure...

I had a mod that needed the battery door closed just so or it wouldn't fire. Just before I was gonna toss it, a tiny piece of insulation fell out of the battery chamber and it's fired fine ever since.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
It's a fairly common issue with the Drag Resin. I had the same problem on one of mine last month. I contacted the vendor I purchased it from and they sent me a new one. The problem is with the switch and there isn't much you can do to fix it.

One thing I did do to keep it from burning up while I waited for a reply from the vendor was hook it up to the Voopoo configuration software and set the firing timeout to 5 seconds. You should definitely look into getting it replaced, though. The new one they sent me works fine.

Mike P

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2017
Hello,

I have a voopoo drag 157w (aka Resign) and its not that old. But on Sunday, it was sitting on a table by itself, no one near it, and I luckily was looking at it at the time, the screen lit up (as if I had pressed the fire button once) then it started firing and didn't stop until I took the batteries out. Its been doing that very since. You have to hit it a few times then it will just fire by itself and you either have to push the fire button once to get it to stop (but it would immediately start auto firing again) or take out the batteries. I went to my local vape store and had them take a look at it. They re created the problem, so they waited for it to start auto firing, and the guy there said he has no idea. He said the button is clearly NOT STICKING. So its probably an internal or chip issue. Anyone have anything or any suggestions that could help me?? I love this mod but its too dangerous to use right now!

It's a fairly common issue with the Drag Resin. I had the same problem on one of mine last month. I contacted the vendor I purchased it from and they sent me a new one. The problem is with the switch and there isn't much you can do to fix it.

One thing I did do to keep it from burning up while I waited for a reply from the vendor was hook it up to the Voopoo configuration software and set the firing timeout to 5 seconds. You should definitely look into getting it replaced, though. The new one they sent me works fine.

how old were these drags when they started malfunctioning? what is the problem with the switch?

I have 2 resins and with no issues

Reactions: stols001

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
The issue is with the switch on the board closing the circuit without being actuated and seems to be limited to a few production runs so it just depends on how long it takes the vendors that purchased from those runs to sell their stock before the problems to begin to arise. I'd had mine five days when it started firing but it could have sat in a storeroom for a while before getting shipped out to me. My guess is if you've had your Drag for more than a few weeks and it hasn't happened, it probably won't.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Anyone have anything or any suggestions that could help me??
Welcome and glad you joined.
You may consider having the unit cleaned after the above suggestions.
Could contact:
Another local B&M Vape Shop (Visit) -----Might be simple.
Vendor who sold it ---see if they will repair or replace or advise (any authorized distributor).
Manufacturer contact ---see if they will repair or replace or advise.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it's still in warranty, I would warranty it. Agreed there could be many culprits, but if your vape shop is at all competent (and they may well be) and couldn't figure it out, well, send it in for replacement. An autofiring button is the last thing you want to have to deal with. It's possible there's debris under the fire button a loose wire, many things really. But, I would not attempt repair, if under warranty as any such repair would void the warranty, most likely. If your warranty has expired, if you are mechanically minded (or know someone who is) it's possible, I guess, that you could take a look under the hood so to speak. Personally, I would have no clue how to approach that, but I prefer keeping things that way. If you do think you can take a look, no harm in doing so if out of warranty.

However, worst case scenario none of that works, you'll need to retire it as it is now an accident, just waiting to occur, lurking there and autofiring at you.

Best of luck,

Anna

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Hello,

Very nice on the replacement of your detective mod. It is great to see a company that stands by and accepts responsibility for their effor. I my make a Drag my next new mod as I have been looking around and I considered it previously. Hearing positive experiences like this helps my decision making.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
It's a well built mod with a great chip. I had the same firing problem on my black resin Drag and they replaced it promptly, so the service is good too. I'd recommend this mod to anyone.

8CPNDzx.png

Another cool thing about the GENE chip is that you can run it in voltage mode up to 7.5v. That's basically a series box with all the protection of a regulated mod.

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
It's a well built mod with a great chip. I had the same firing problem on my black resin Drag and they replaced it promptly, so the service is good too. I'd recommend this mod to anyone.

8CPNDzx.png

Another cool thing about the GENE chip is that you can run it in voltage mode up to 7.5v. That's basically a series box with all the protection of a regulated mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread