The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vortex - leaking problem

Discussion in 'MyVape' started by OldDragon, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. OldDragon

OldDragon Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2010
    Kansas
    Just had a problem with one of the vortex when I was filling it. Half filled it and put the cap back on to do something else. When I took the cap off to put in more juice in, some bubbles came up from around the side and a bunch of juice came out the center hole. Looked for some cracks, couldn't find any. Put the cap back on and retried again, same thing happened. Tried a different Vortex and nothing happen - worked like normal. The one that is leaking has the little felt pad wrapping taken out.
    Just took it apart again can't see anything different from the other ones. Filled it with water and the water just ran straight out.
    ANY IDEAS on what is happening??

2. mwa102464

mwa102464 Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Ya the little felt type pad that is wrapped around the bottom is glued in with a food grade type adhesive,,
    so when removed it will leak I believe !

3. OldDragon

Jun 25, 2010
    Kansas
    I've got 4 others with the pad removed and they work fine. Some others have said to remove the pad for a better draw/vape. So I don't think it has any thing to do with the pad being gone. And when it runs out, it runs very fast, like there is a hole somewhere straight to the battery hole. Oh, if I can get the mouth piece on before it all runs out, it doesn't run out then. Only when the mouth piece is out.

4. badkolo

badkolo ECF Guru ECF Veteran

its not a hole, i think the juice is seeping under the cup on some do to how they are seated, looking at improvements for that soon.

5. OldDragon

Jun 25, 2010
    Kansas
    Thanks, as long as you know and it sounds like I'm not the only one to have the problem, at least there have been no cracks in the tubes for me yet. Hope you get the 510's in soon and I'll pickup a new pack then.

6. Chefanim

Chefanim Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I had my first leaker tonight. But now it's not leaking. All of mine are ALF-less. It seemed like filling it up too fast caused it to leak out the connector end. I blew it out, filled it again slowly and it's fine now.

Odd

7. willdupre

willdupre Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Largo, Fl
    I didn't have that problem until I unintentionally knocked the mouthpiece off of one of my vortexes while it was on my PV yesterday and let it sit on the desk, and than it was dripping down the sides of the pv all from the battery hole, it seems that the fluid resevoir needs the bit of vaccum that the cap seal offers because I put the cap back on snug and the dripping began to taper off very soon after that, now that same vortex is fine, I just need to remember never to leave the mouthpieces off for long. I also now tip them upside down after filling once just to make sure that there is a good seal at the mouthpiece.

8. Cool_Breeze

Cool_Breeze Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    Thanks, badkolo.

9. dannoman

dannoman Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2010
    Sugar Land, Texas USA
    Cool Breeze--Credo has been advocating a mod if you want to bother taking the Vortex apart that involves wrapping plumbers teflon tape starting just below the wick on the metal cup and all the way down over the knurled connector base then sliding everythign back on...(trim off any dangling tape afterwards)

10. Cool_Breeze

Cool_Breeze Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    Danno - thanks.

I tried the plumber's tape on one cartridge. That particular cartridge seems to evacuate though the battery hole. I believe that one had a fill of Apple-Cinnamon. As well, the stem doesn't want to sit square, so it may have been mishandled during dis-reassembly.

A second cartridge, which has not yet been dissambled as best I recall, seems to pass juice at the perimeter of the connector when filled more than about the 50% level. This one seems a good candidate for another attempt at the plumber's tape wrap.

For what it's worth, I just did some cleaning to a third Vortex. This one has not been disambled and has the Anti-Leak Filter intact. I used a turkey baster from the mouthpiece end and PGA. I flushed it a few times and then pumped air through it many times. A few attempts at a (semi-?) dry burn were initiated. It took some coaxing to wick the juice, but it seems tentatively okay...holding its own thus far. It does taste very clean if a little light. I suppose that makes sense.

Regards,
    Cool_Breeze

PS In addition to the bevel at the very end, the mouthpieces seems to have a slight taper for the portion that is inserted into the carto. Maybe the taper isn't needed but the bevel may be useful to help begin insertion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.