VV Box mod is great now what is the next step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I got the VV Box mod about a week ago and my 3.7v bottom feeder has been gathering dust or has been acting as a juice reserve/backup... Im really enjoying being able to adjust the voltage to my taste and the fact that I actually get great vapor and flavor out of my 2ohm Dual coil that I wasnt before at just 3.7v! I let my father in law try my VV and now he wants mine (or at least wants me to order him one...) so my question is, if its kosher to ask about mods other than those sold by Madvapes (who is my go to supplier), whats a good next step? I dont really want to spend a couple hundred on a "premier" mod, this little sub $40 mod has shown me the price in this case doesn't necessarily mean its going to be better if I spend more.

Anyway, as a quick little review on durability, I have dropped this thing a few times already, the batteries flew out but the mod is fine. I have been using it pretty much as my main mod since I got it, and have had no problems using my fingernail on the little slot cut out of the side to adjust it. I realized that the IMR batteries (the red ones) fit much better than ultrafire batteries, ultrafire batteries fit (barely) but I am a little leery of using batteries that compress the spring that much. I have used the madvapes EMDCC 1.5 and 2 ohm cartos as well as various other DC and single coil cartos. The .357 atty works great but I need to relearn how to use it now since I keep getting a burnt taste with the higher voltage, guess I need to keep it wetter now.

Thanks madvapes for providing me a (much) cheaper option for VV!

wolfstone5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Somerset, Pennsylvania
Yes...there are plenty of great mods out there. The reviews are all over the forums and YouTube to help anyone to pick and choose. The VV Box Mod may not have all the bells and whistles that the expensive vv mods tote but in the end it's the quality of the the vapor that comes out of your drip tip! Another great feature of the VV Box Mod (or lack of) is that it doesn't limit you to what atty's/cartos you can use with it. Some of the VV mods shut down with LR atty's/cartos and DCC's or reset themselves to a lower voltage. It all has to do with your personal preferences and budget. If I had the money to blow, I'd probably buy every mod that is available but that's me.

JimmyJet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
Carolinas
Well said Wolf. The MV VV Box was my first mod. At $35 I figured it was worth a try.

Since then I've bought 3 more mods, all more expensive. Each time I thought the VV Box would end up on the shelf as a backup. And each time I was wrong. I still use it every day.

There is nothing special about the MV VV Box except for one thing. The most important thing. It works. It's a small inexpensive workhorse. And the batteries are cheap too.

Bells, whistles, LED display? Don't care. Turn that little white knob until the vapor tastes good.

JJ :)

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
For sure, the Madvapes VV Box is superb value. What next, you ask?

IMHO, VV tube mods:
High end: Darwin; Provari
Mid-range: Infinity; Buzz
Low-end: Lavatube

Higher end box mods I don't really pay much attention to. Many folk rave about the Reo, although that isn't VV.

Happy hunting!

wrigleyvillain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
Yeah not shutting down is a good feature generally but at the same time this can kill attys and cartos if set too high for them. For some reason I thought it shipped on zero instead of max and learned this mistake the hard way. Shoulda checked with a multi and such is user error and live-and-learn and all that, but still.

Yeah it really can't be beat for the price. A Provari, for example, has great build quality, looks fantastic and has nice bells and whistles such as being able to check atty ohms and such but it is also like $200. And I doubt it really "vapes that much better" with all else being equal.

Last edited:

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
2 questions.

First:

I don't see a vv mod on MV. Do they sell them already made? (I can't see to put anything together anymore, tiny soldering is out of the question.)

Second:

What is the difference in a vv mod and a stacked battery mod? I know with the Maxi RS I can vape at 7.4 which I love, what is the difference in that and a vv?

wolfstone5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Somerset, Pennsylvania
First...here's a link to the VV Box Mod at MV. They have two models...one in black and another in white. As for the the difference in the mods....some VV mods use a boost circuit and require only one battery to achieve higher voltages. Others use stacked battery with a variable voltage regulator. I think what you want know is that with non VV mods like the Maxi RoughStack can use a single 18650 battery (3.7 volts) or two stacked 16340's (6 or 7.4 Volts). I hope I didn't confuse you more!

Variable Voltage Box Mod

Last edited:

wrigleyvillain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
What is the difference in a vv mod and a stacked battery mod? I know with the Maxi RS I can vape at 7.4 which I love, what is the difference in that and a vv?

Uh I think the most basic point from which your confusion arises is that with a vv you can dial in whatever voltage you want between zero and seven to perfectly suit your particular atty/carto. A stacked mod will give you 5v or 7.4 period but with a vv you can vape at .5, 2.1, 4.6, 6.9 or whatever. Well, with the little dial on these things it is hard to get that precise but you catch my drift surely. That's one reason a Provari is $200.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread