Status
Not open for further replies.
I just graduated from the 808's to an innokin iTaste SVD because I love that you can customize your vape and how it performs. I can tell the difference in the vape when I change the voltage and watts, but what specifically do they do and how does it all work?

I know this is a very novice question, but I can't find anything in lay person's terms.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
VW is frequently referred to as "the set it and forget it" mode. The microprocessor chooses the appropriate voltage based on wattage setting and read atty resistance.
VV requires that you set the "appropriate" voltage based on the measured resistance... and you fine tune for your tastes from there. A vaping "VV-ohms-watts chart" can help you with that process.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
More technically, regulated mods have a micro-computer which adjust the voltage/wattage by the means of special boost circuitry. PWM (pulse width modulation) is the term of sending extremely fast pulses of high power to the atomizer hundreds of times per second. This requires the use of a "high drain" type of battery - IMR or IMR/hybrid.

Variable voltage is the less complex process. Simple power up or power down is done by the user depending upon the resistance of the juice attachment. Typically you take the ohm rating and add "2". Ie: 2 ohm + 2 = 4 volts.

Variable wattage does the math for you; you decide and set a wattage (ie 8 watts), and even if you change to another juice attachment with a different ohm rating the processor recognizes it and adjusts the power to provide 8 watts of power.

At the end of the day, they both do the same thing and get you to the same place.

spaceman84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina
In this application I believe that wattage is the more logical choice as it can be directly translated to an approximation of how much heat is being produced and applied to the liquid.

That being said, if your vaporizer is producing 7W of heat, head design, specifically the size of the coil, and draw rate are still factors. But I do think that wattage is a better measure of heat output.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The more power you put to the coil, the hotter it gets. The hotter it gets, the more juice is boiled.

Too low a power level and you get very little, if any, vapor.

Too high a power level and you may "burn" the flavor (tastes bad, just back it off a little) or wicks, since the juice can't get wicked in fast enough to keep in contact with the coil.

Without going into Ohm's law (you wanted "lay person's terms" :) ), increasing either voltage or wattage settings increases the power. In voltage mode, the PV will keep a fixed voltage no matter what changes in the resisttance of the coil - say when you change to a different topper. So you might want to adjust for taste. In wattage mode, the PV will keep a fixed power, automatically adjusting the voltage as needed to do that. So if you change to a different topper, the PV will adjust to maintain the set level of heat for your vape. So if you like all of your juices at a certain power level, it is a "set and forget" convenience.

Keep in mind that not all juices taste best at the same power level, though.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I know this is a very novice question, but I can't find anything in lay person's terms.

You can think of VV like a Dimmer Switch on a Lamp. When you turn the Dimmer Switch up, you give the Lamp more Voltage. So the Light gets Brighter (Hotter).

The same this happens when you turn up the Voltage on your SVD. You give the Tank/Clearo/Atty more Voltage so the Tank/Clearo/Atty runs Hotter. Hence more Vapor and More Flavor.

Volts, Ohm and Amps are tied together in a Dance given by Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms.

Watts is a Measure of Power. And with a little Algebra, the formula can be derived from Ohm's Law

Watts = (Volts x Volts) / Ohms.

So for a given Voltage that you have your SVD set at, say 4.4 Volts, and for a given Ohms (Resistance) your Atty/Tank/Clearo is, say 2.5 Ohms, you can calculate the Power in Watts that is being produced.

Watts = (4.4 x 4.4) / 2.5 => Watts = 7.75

What a VW device does is adjust the Voltage to keep the Watts the Same no matter what Resistance (Ohms) Tank/Clearo/Atty you put on your SVD.

So in theory, you should get the same hit Basically with what ever you put on you SVD when you are in VW mode Without having to adjust anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread