The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

VW squonker idea

Discussion in 'Liquid Feed APV Discussion' started by Btsmokincat, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Btsmokincat

Btsmokincat Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    I need someone to either slap me silly for suggesting something so stupid or say that it sounds like it could work...

If I took a 510 to ego adapter and soldered a wire to the outside above the threads for a negative and a wire to the center pin for the positive... then solder them correctly to a BF 510 connection... then screw say an istick 30 to the adaptor...

Would that work to power a RDA without blowing up in my face? Sort of like attaching an extension to a device.

Finding an enclosure to securely hold everything is another story...

What do you think? Stupid, maybe stupid or maybe smart.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    Not one person has an opinion? Well stupid is as stupid does, I'm going to get some wire and solder and test to see if it works this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    Proved it works and learned that soldering is much harder than it looks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UGLY soldering job but it read the Ohms correctly and fired perfectly! Going to build a wood squonk box powered by a Smok M65! It will take me a while to gather all the parts but regulated bottom feeder here I come!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rossum

Rossum "Chump" Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    So you're gonna put the whole mod inside your squonk box or just the mod's guts?

Soldering onto stainless steel is VERY difficult. Better to figure out a means of making a mechanical connection to some other kind of metal (brass or copper) that you can solder to more easily.

There's a big bottom-feeding modding thread here. It's provided considerable inspiration.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    I'm planning to put the entire mod inside a box. It will be big but probably not much bigger than a hammond 1590 box.

Yeah I learned the hard way trying to solder stainless. I've been thinking of a few ways to use the brass or copper connections.

6. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I'd be very interested in a squonker that wasn't a mech. I'm certainly not afraid of mechs, but to me, if I'm gonna spend that kind of money for a mod, I want it to do more than just hold batteries and bottle.

I learned how to solder the old-timey way, with flux, in 1980. I sucked at it, and hated it, and if I never smell anything that smells as bad as flux, I'll be infinitely grateful.

Andria

• Like Like x 1
  7. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    What I'm thinking is a Peko 18650 kit from livewiremods.com for the squonking hardware and one of those mini rda (smok squid) with the posts drilled out a little and soldered for the mod connection.

Trying to decide between a Smok M65 or a Sig 30 as the power supply.

8. wabbit

wabbit Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Northern California
    I'll be interested to see how it works out (and looks).

9. Rossum

Rossum "Chump" Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Making a regulated squonker is easy enough. Making it compact enough to feel good in the hand is more difficult (assuming one doesn't have basketball player sized hands).

• Like Like x 1
  10. b.m.

b.m. Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Very true.I'm working on a vw bottom feeder now,and am building it in a 1590B box,that thing is huge haha.Eventually i'll try it in a g box to try and get the size down smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    I've started gathering all the parts and tools I need to make this happen. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have a working version 1 powered by an istick 30.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Outstanding. My latest mod is a coolfire IV, and I like it, but... I think I like my iStick30's better. At least I don't feel I'm weightlifting with those. :D

Andria

13. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    Here's my drawn, erased, scribbled and redrawn idea on paper for the istick 30 side squonker.
    [​IMG]

I've already got the 1/4 inch wood and most of the parts. Fat daddy 510 connections are due to arrive tomorrow.
    This will be my next build using a Sig 30 or Smok M65
    [​IMG]

both will be primarily home use due to the size though, neither is going to fit in a pocket. I will sand all edges so they will be as comfortable to hold as possible. Hopefully they turn out nice...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    Got my Fat Daddy Vapes order!
    [​IMG]

I'm going to start building this week! I'll post progress pics as I go...

• Like Like x 4
  15. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    I got the pieces cut and the bottom and back glued together. Next step is drill all the needed holes before any more gluing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next to my Sig 50...
    [​IMG]

16. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    Had to countersink the top as the fat daddy v3 wood connection was not long enough. Glad I did as I think it looks better...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holes are all drilled...
    [​IMG]

17. Mr.Bungle

Mr.Bungle Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    East Jabip, NJ
    Oddly enough, I was working on a similar idea a few months back. Istick20 powering a bf modified 510 stuffed inside of an Altoids tin. I got through putting the 510 together and bought a VV Reo. End of story. Lol

18. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    Fooled around with it all afternoon. Learned that I still can't solder to save my life. This is a horribly ugly squonker but it definitely works really well. The red velcro strap was the only one I could find that was long enough and thin enough. I completely destroyed a smok mini rda trying to solder it for the mod connection, ended up using a Hobo V3 to trap the wires.

So here it is in all it's glory! I give you The Fugly Squonker!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  19. thetrucker

thetrucker Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    I like this as I was thinking along the same lines the other day as to why we could not take a regulated 50 watt

Eleaf Istick and put it in the same box as a squonker and have a ready made regulated squonker.

It just seems a lot easier than trying to build from the bottom up with circuit boards and battery sleds-etc etc.

Nice job you did---as I love homemade mods and ideas like this !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    I'm already thinking of the next one after learning some lessons with this first one.

I actually have an idea to dremel out some of the insides of a smokeless owl / terminator and fitting an istick 30 in it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.