VYPE ePOD Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
So... I picked up one of these, from the local Circle K. Although I didn't need it, I was curious to try it out. I told myself even if I didn't like it a whole lot, I'd use it when travelling as I don't need to bring bottles of e-liquid, coils etc... and the pods are available in most gas stations, macs & Circle K stores. Yah... but basically I was just selling myself on dropping $45.00 on something I don't need, but wanted to try none-the-less ;)

The look of the thing looks almost identical to the VUSE alto, but the body is metal, not plastic. It looks and feels good, and is quite light. The flavour that came with the unit is called Tobacco Marvel. It was a very nice RY4ish tobacco flavour at 57 mg/ml nicotine-salt strength. It tasted great, and hit hard. Each POD holds 1.9 ml of e-liquid.

The eliquid in the pods are made in the UK, but due to European regulations, cannot be sold in the UK, so these are made to export to Canada.

Flavours available:
Tobacco
Berry
Mango
Mint
Vanilla

This is a draw activated device and when you draw on the device, the green light shines and dims after you're done your pull.

Things I like:
1. The flavour is great
2. the battery lasts all day
3. the draw is the perfect resistance for a nice MTL hit
4. it looks nice, it's small & portable
5. PODS are widely available and are available in stores that are open 24 hours
6. PODS last me a surprisingly long time

Things I don't like:
1. The charging cable is magnetic and not a proprietary micro USB, so if the battery dies when I'm at work, I'm screwed until I get home. Luckily a full charge will get me through the day.
2. The pods are held in place magnetically, but are not firmly attached to the mod... the don't fall off or anything, but there is a little wiggle.
3. The odd time the draw activation didn't trigger the atomizer. It was a minor annoyance as I only had to remove the pod and let it fall back into place to remedy this, but worth noting.

All in all it's a nice product, dead simple to use and for a tobacco fan, the juice that's available is one of the best tobacco flavours I've tried.

Attachments

• 20181231_190623.jpg
    20181231_190623.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
I've seen these at all the local stores in Ontario as well. In your opinion how does this compare to the Juul? Better or Worse? I saw a billboard for this product on the QEW near Toronto. I thought it was hilarious. Remember the last time you saw an ad for cigarettes on a billboard? I can't either. Yet, VYPE was able to.

So... I've only tried the JUUL for a short while when my brother was visiting. Here's some pros & cons in comparison.

Pro for the VYPE:
  1. Battery lasts all day. I charge it at night, bring it to work, and it lasts me until I get home.
  2. Flavours are better
  3. The VYPE is dead silent, no crackling
  4. Doesn't misfire as often as the JUUL
  5. 1 POD will last over 2-days of regular use
  6. PODS are cheaper - - $12.00 for 3.8 ML of eliquid vs $21.00 for 2.8 ML of eliquid
  7. The have a subscription for refills to save 10%, JUUL has this in the USA, not sure about Canada
  8. Cost for the VYPE device is $45.00 including 1 POD, cost for JUUL is $45.00 wit no POD.

What is the same:
  1. The draw activation and pull feels almost identical
  2. The Nicotine hit is almost identical

Where the JUUL beats the VYPE
  1. Low battery indicator, the VYPE doesn't have one.
  2. The JUUL is offered in more places than VYPE, VYPE seems to be offered only in the Circle K, Mac's Milk & Esso gas stations (& online)
  3. More 3rd party options for JUUL
I hope that helps :)
L8r,
M.

PS... I'd be curious to see the comparison between the VYPE ePOD & the STLTH, but I've never tried the STLTH

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
So... I've only tried the JUUL for a short while when my brother was visiting. Here's some pros & cons in comparison.

Pro for the VYPE:
  1. Battery lasts all day. I charge it at night, bring it to work, and it lasts me until I get home.
  2. Flavours are better
  3. The VYPE is dead silent, no crackling
  4. Doesn't misfire as often as the JUUL
  5. 1 POD will last over 2-days of regular use
  6. PODS are cheaper - - $12.00 for 3.8 ML of eliquid vs $21.00 for 2.8 ML of eliquid
  7. The have a subscription for refills to save 10%, JUUL has this in the USA, not sure about Canada
  8. Cost for the VYPE device is $45.00 including 1 POD, cost for JUUL is $45.00 wit no POD.

What is the same:
  1. The draw activation and pull feels almost identical
  2. The Nicotine hit is almost identical

Where the JUUL beats the VYPE
  1. Low battery indicator, the VYPE doesn't have one.
  2. The JUUL is offered in more places than VYPE, VYPE seems to be offered only in the Circle K, Mac's Milk & Esso gas stations (& online)
  3. More 3rd party options for JUUL
I hope that helps :)
L8r,
M.

PS... I'd be curious to see the comparison between the VYPE ePOD & the STLTH, but I've never tried the STLTH

Thanks for the speedy reply and detailed comparison. At the moment I bought a whole bunch of Juul pods that should last me at least a month. Once, they come close to finishing I may give the Vype a chance. However, I agree the Juul seems to be available everywhere. Whereas, I see the Vype only at some stores.

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
so... I've been using this device now for a couple of weeks. It's my favourite device, and I've since retired my other vapes. I'm getting 2 to 3 days per POD.
I've tried three flavours:
Tobacco Marvel - - my favourite, a very pleasant slight sweet tobacco flavour, sort of an RY4ish taste.
Mango - - #2, a very descent smooth mango taste
Berry - - not bad, reminds me a little of MEOs berry one. Has sort of a blackberry, raspberry, blueberry flavour

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
Thanks for the update. Since I started with the Juul (November 10, 2018) I have had two Juul devices replaced by Juul. Their customer service is superb. However, that tells me that basically the Juul lasts for about one month give or take. I am going to give Juul another chance. I find more gas stations in Ontario carry Juul products than the Vype. But I could be wrong. I found Vype at Circle K and some local variety stores. I am starting to get really frustrated with the Juul. Wherein, only a few hits have that punch and the other's don't. I am constantly shaking the pod, inserting it again etc., I did find there are a few different companies that produce empty refillable Juul pods. That's really handy for those who are tired of the Juul flavors.

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
Here's another update, I've tried 4 of the 5 flavours available:
Tobacco Marvel - - wonderful taste, a la Tribeca from Halo
Mango - - a very descent flavourful mango taste
Berry - - could be better, tasted too artificial
Vanilla Medley - - A very nice, tasty & light vanilla custard flavour. Very similar to BEJ's "TVC".
Mint - - do not plan on trying this one

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
Thanks for the update. I am going on day 3 of the Vype. Battery life was really good. Almost 48 hours later I had to charge it. I am still enjoying the tobacco flavour. Also, I am still on the same cartridge that came with the box. That’s with me using the Vype exclusively and no other device. I may try Vanilla. I am not a big fan of mint either way. I like that the cartridges are in packs of two and around 12 dollars. Whereas, with Juul you have to get the four pack and with taxes comes out to between $21 to 23 dollars. Worst, if you don’t like a four pack of Juul flavours you’re stuck with them. I have so many left over Juul pods I will likely just courier them over to my cousin who is still using the Juul.

While many of these pod companies are quick to provide additional flavours. I really hope Vype provides more varieties of tobacco flavours. Vype I noticed is owned by Imperial Tobacco. For 27 years of smoking I only smoked Du Maurier. I guess they have some experience in what a smokers like.

I contacted Vype customer service the other day about a simple question. They responded immediately. That seems promising in the event the device malfunctions.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
Would love to get my hands on some Mango flavored pods to try in my Vuse Alto. They look exactly the same but the flavor selection here in the states is pretty lacking.

I just looked up the Vuse Alto. First time hearing about this. This seems like a replica of the Vype. I wonder whether its from the same company. Maybe you can order the Mango flavor from the on-line site?

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
Would love to get my hands on some Mango flavored pods to try in my Vuse Alto. They look exactly the same but the flavor selection here in the states is pretty lacking.
so... the pods made for the vype ePod are in fact from the USA - imported into Canada. The other vype eliquids come from the UK. So the vype ePod is definitely the same as the vuse alto.
I have a suspicion that the reason you can't get the mango pods in the US are because it's considered flavoured eliquid (which they seem to be cracking down on).
I can't confirm this, but I think the Tobacco Marvel flavour here is Tribeca, re-branded for vype with the 57 mg/ml salt nic version (lactic acid used for salts instead of benzoic acid).

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
I am on week one of the Vype. I am still thoroughly impressed by it in comparison to the Juul. The Vype cartridges are larger and the battery life lasts longer. I love their tobacco and tried their vanilla over the weekend.

In my opinion the vanilla doesn’t seem that different than the tobacco. Still a great flavour. Both the tobacco and vanilla are very different in taste compared to the Juul. Therefore, I guess the taste factor would be subjective.

Still great vapor production. I still love the feel of the Vype. I normally hold it like a cigarette or cigar.

A few qualms: Every now and then the inhale draw activation system doesn’t work. This may be a few times a day. It’s easily remedied by simply taking a stronger pull. One of the tobacco cartridges I had purchased started off great. However mid way it started to give me a burnt taste. Similar to an old coil. I contacted Vype customer service and will likely hear back shortly.

I was so turned off by Juul’s fruit flavour that I am hesitant to try Vype’s Berry Blast. Really hoping that Vype introduces more flavours for this device.

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
I am on week one of the Vype. I am still thoroughly impressed by it in comparison to the Juul. The Vype cartridges are larger and the battery life lasts longer. I love their tobacco and tried their vanilla over the weekend.

In my opinion the vanilla doesn’t seem that different than the tobacco. Still a great flavour. Both the tobacco and vanilla are very different in taste compared to the Juul. Therefore, I guess the taste factor would be subjective.

Still great vapor production. I still love the feel of the Vype. I normally hold it like a cigarette or cigar.

A few qualms: Every now and then the inhale draw activation system doesn’t work. This may be a few times a day. It’s easily remedied by simply taking a stronger pull. One of the tobacco cartridges I had purchased started off great. However mid way it started to give me a burnt taste. Similar to an old coil. I contacted Vype customer service and will likely hear back shortly.

I was so turned off by Juul’s fruit flavour that I am hesitant to try Vype’s Berry Blast. Really hoping that Vype introduces more flavours for this device.

Honest Opinion, skip the berry, it's not that good. The mango however is quite tasty. Regarding your issue with one of the pods, I had a similar experience with one of my berry flavoured pods. I only vaped about 1/8th of the juice, and then I got a burnt cotton taste.

Regarding the draw mechanism not activating, try flipping the pod round 180 degrees, it always seems to work for me.

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
Update... so the customer service at vype is absolutely incredible. These guys are making it impossible not to become an avid user of their products. I sent a note regarding the burnt pod, and they're sending a replacement. I hear a lot about vapers not wanting to support big tobacco, and although I do see the point, as a consumer customer service is massive... and no-one I've dealt with in the past, was this responsive and professional.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
Honest Opinion, skip the berry, it's not that good. The mango however is quite tasty. Regarding your issue with one of the pods, I had a similar experience with one of my berry flavoured pods. I only vaped about 1/8th of the juice, and then I got a burnt cotton taste.

Regarding the draw mechanism not activating, try flipping the pod round 180 degrees, it always seems to work for me.

Thanks for letting me know about the burnt coil issue. I am glad I wasn't the only one. For now I will likely just stick to vanilla and tobacco and perhaps try mint for the heck of it.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
Update... so the customer service at vype is absolutely incredible. These guys are making it impossible not to become an avid user of their products. I sent a note regarding the burnt pod, and they're sending a replacement. I hear a lot about vapers not wanting to support big tobacco, and although I do see the point, as a consumer customer service is massive... and no-one I've dealt with in the past, was this responsive and professional.

Within the last week I contacted VYPE twice and they responded immediately. I mentioned to them the burnt coil situation as well. They told me to call in and they would remedy the issue.

I wholeheartedly agree with supporting the larger companies. Folks seem to think supporting their local rip off vape shop is admirable. However, the vast majority of shops at least that I have frequented don’t stand by their products. The warranty is useless. I’ve seen some situations where I bought the product and had an issue five minutes walking out the door and they were reluctant to address the issue. Of course I can’t say all of them are like that. My biggest qualm is that I have had a variety of vape devices over the years. Each and every one failing miserably well before the one year mark. Attempting to contact those companies often located in China was a nightmare. Finally, they would ask for information that for the most part I just didn’t retain.

Whereas, with Juul and VYPE they have been extraordinary. Juul sent me, on two separate occasions replacement devices. I logged onto their site and was instantly greeted by a live on-line Juul agent. They simply confirmed where I bought it and a approximation of when. After that they told me they would send a new one.

Both these companies have me starting to loathe these Chinese based vape companies.

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
STLTH has very good customer support as well. Always helpful and quick to respond. They fully stand by their product, and well send out a new pod if by chance you got one that was problematic.
Regarding B&M shops... I guess I've been spoiled. I deal with Cigvape, and they're awesome. They sell coils as singles, and if you get a bad coil, they'll replace it if you go there within 4-days of the purchase.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
I'll have to check out Cigvape. I have used Dashvapes primarily. Their fast. But I am not thrilled by them.

So today I noticed the juice in my VYPE was leaking. I contacted customer service. They sent me a Canada Post mailing label and told me return my device and the pods. They will ship new one's to me. On immediately getting off the phone with customer service they emailed me the mailing label. Pretty fast service. But sucks that I have to pack and mail everything out. Only then, on receipt will they mail me the new items. I guess I shouldn't complain. I was just accustomed to Juul where they simply send a new device no questions asked. I guess in a way its good VYPE wants the device as they can obviously perform an inspection. In the interim. I will likely just purchase another back up VYPE.

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018
I'll have to check out Cigvape. I have used Dashvapes primarily. Their fast. But I am not thrilled by them.

So today I noticed the juice in my VYPE was leaking. I contacted customer service. They sent me a Canada Post mailing label and told me return my device and the pods. They will ship new one's to me. On immediately getting off the phone with customer service they emailed me the mailing label. Pretty fast service. But sucks that I have to pack and mail everything out. Only then, on receipt will they mail me the new items. I guess I shouldn't complain. I was just accustomed to Juul where they simply send a new device no questions asked. I guess in a way its good VYPE wants the device as they can obviously perform an inspection. In the interim. I will likely just purchase another back up VYPE.
That's too bad, but I guess it gives you a chance to try the eStick. The starter kit is ridiculously cheap, and you could use it for a backup when the ePOD is charging. Alternatively you could pickup a STLTH starter kit for $25.00. I use one regularly. The only caveat is the PODs are not as widely available. Apparently hasty market is selling STLTH pods and most B&M vape shops carry stlth.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
That’s exactly what I ended up doing this morning. I purchased the VYPE Pen from the Circle K. At 25 bucks it’s good value. Considering how many Du Maurier packs I use to buy. The VYPE Pen is an adjustment compared to the EPOD. For one, I keep forgetting it needs to be clicked five times. Also, the hit from the EPOD is just better. I think its due to the smaller mouth piece on the EPOD versus the wider mouth piece on the EPEN. Had I discovered the pen first I am certain I would have liked it.

I still have my Juul device. But once you’re accustomed to the VYPE vapor Juul just doesn’t hit the spot.

The girl at the Circle K even questioned me about the product. She said it was surprising that Juul just sends a new device. Whereas, VYPE wants us to mail them the defective device with the defective pods. She also mentioned that originally when VYPE sales reps use to come in the policy was that the customer could simply return the defective device to the location from where it was purchased. She mentioned she didn’t know the policy changed where the customer now has to send the device. She says they have sold many faulty devices and the VYPE customer rep use to come in and simply toss it into the garbage.

I imagine VYPE wants me to send them the device so they can investigate the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread