Wall Street Journal Article about FDA regulations to be relased Thursday 4/23/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
It sounds a bit like the standard 2 year delay, plus the time for the lawsuits, which should be considerable

And the only people in the e-cig business who can afford to wage years-long court battles are the tobacco companies that own some of the cigalike brands, therefore the public perception that BT and the e-cig industry are one and the same will only become more ingrained.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
According to Felberbaum (on twitter just now), any product not on the market as of 2007 will have two years to obtain a "premarket approval."

But remember that all these articles are based on a press briefing yesterday (Wednesday) by Margaret Hamburg and Mitch Zeller. Until we have the actual text (to be released at 9AM, I believe, we can't know for sure how bad (or good) it's going to be. Rumor has it the regs are "hundreds of pages."

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
They will have a hard time making the argument for hardware, unless the hardware is part of a complete kit that includes liquid, like the disposables or cigalikes with pre-filled carts. I don't believe the FDA forces people to submit their designs for "water pipes," you know, the glass ones that are supposed to be used for tobacco smoking.

As for the liquid, unfortunately they will probably consider every flavor, every pg/vg ratio, and every nic content as an individual "product." So let's say your favorite vendor offers 0mg, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg, 18mg, 24mg and 100%pg, 80/20, 50/50, 30/70, 100%vg. That's 30 separate product applications per flavor, multiply that by someone like MBV with ~200 flavors and that's a lot of application fees. Depending on what the application process is like and what the fees are, I foresee our choices in liquid getting much much smaller.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Unfortunately this does nothing to slow down regulation at the local level.
TRUE, though we dont know the context of the regulations. If the climate has changed a bit and the FDA somewhat eases its stance, maybe things will calm down on the local level. I know this is wishful thinking on my part.

Insignificance

Jan 14, 2013
New Jersey
While there are a lot of hurdles ahead, in my opinion not banning internet sales would be a major victory. If they were banned, smaller companies like White Cloud and Halo would eventually go out of business as they would have a hard time finding space in retail stores and would get muscled out by the big boys (Logic, the Blu, NJoy).

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
And therein lies the problem. An agency that's supposed to be about public health and consumer protection is driven 100% by politics, and by protecting the financial interests of its paymasters in the pharmaceutical industry.

Well, you are right. You are not exactly coming down off the mountain with the tablets with that. The FDA is funded by Big Pharma.

But we the people actually won one this time around. I'm not sure that big Pharma really fought this one hard. Global NRT is "only" a two billion-dollar business. Allegra does that in three weeks in the US.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
And the only people in the e-cig business who can afford to wage years-long court battles are the tobacco companies that own some of the cigalike brands, therefore the public perception that BT and the e-cig industry are one and the same will only become more ingrained.

What lawsuits? If these are the regulations, who would have standing to sue? Children who can't get their BLU?

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
TRUE, though we dont know the context of the regulations. If the climate has changed a bit and the FDA somewhat eases its stance, maybe things will calm down on the local level. I know this is wishful thinking on my part.

Other than restricting sales to minors (at the Federal level), these regs don't (AFAIK) address usage, so I don't see them as in any way slowing down the ANTZ army busily trying to get local govts. to tell us where/when we can or cannot vape. So yes, I think it's wishful thinking on your part. Right now I wish I could do the same! :(

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
You mean the cigalike business. There's no way they can construct a regulatory framework that will stamp out the PV business. They'll just wind up playing Whack-a-Mole for however many years until they finally give up.

No I mean that at the end of 2 years everything that could possibly be used as a vaporizer is going to have to be approved by the FDA. I suspect that the BT cigalikes will get approved quickly. The rest of our world can't afford to meet the requirements or the years in limbo that will be enforced by the FDA.

cyclotron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2012
Hampton Roads, VA, US
Obviously we don't have the regs to read yet but the article I read said that the products must be approved by the FDA if they make health claims. If that's true then it could be as simple as it has been in the past and sellers not making claims do not have to submit for approval. I expect the other regulations to apply to all things no matter the claim. Labeling and selling to minors that is.

Hey, I can hope can't I?

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Obviously we don't have the regs to read yet but the article I read said that the products must be approved by the FDA if they make health claims. If that's true then it could be as simple as it has been in the past and sellers not making claims do not have to submit for approval. I expect the other regulations to apply to all things no matter the claim. Labeling and selling to minors that is.

Hey, I can hope can't I?

You should read it again. It says that part will go into affect in 75 days. If they claim that it is healthier than cigs for use they will have to prove that.

At least this is what I think that you are speaking of

The FDA plans a 75-day comment period before the regulations become final. Some provisions, such as requiring evidence of health benefits, will go into effect at that point. The agency then will allow two years for all other provisions to be effective.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
No I mean that at the end of 2 years everything that could possibly be used as a vaporizer is going to have to be approved by the FDA.

This is not going to happen unless 1) E-cigs are classified as medical devices, or 2) the definition of "medical device" is expanded to include half the items at your local hardware store.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
This is not going to happen unless 1) E-cigs are classified as medical devices, or 2) the definition of "medical device" is expanded to include half the items at your local hardware store.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I don't think this will just cover liquids and nicotine though. We will see what surprises are in the other pages not yet seen.

Last edited:

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
You mean the cigalike business. There's no way they can construct a regulatory framework that will stamp out the PV business. They'll just wind up playing Whack-a-Mole for however many years until they finally give up.

like the war on drugs? or the war on terror? lulz... once a law puts something into effect it takes an act of congress to remove it... and without political will (usually funded by special interests) that won't happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread