Want to own a Reo, but Ive got some questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Good afternoon Reonauts, I hope you don't mind me bothering you all for a moment.

So basically, here is my motivation for wanting a Reo

-Im not searching for the good vape. I have found the good vape. Took me quite a while, but once I entered the world of mechanicals and rdas, it was game over. My most recent adoration is both GG and GP Paps, kinda found them both at the same time, and am totally blown away by them.

But where I AM unsatisfied, is.. driving. On the go. Going places and doing things. Some people suggested the kayfun for those times.. but it doesn't cut it, I DO NOT like the kayfun, no matter how hard I try. So, I drip on the go too. And its annoying. A big help is atomizers like the Magma and the Origen, with big drip wells. but even thats not ideal.

Enter Reo.

Really looks like this will fit the bill for when I don't want or can't drip, but don't want to have a substandard vape experience.

Questions:

1) Main concern/question. I vape subohm. Ive become fully hooked on the vape experience it provides, and I really can't go back to 1.5ohm coil with higher nic juice. Subohm, low nic, has become what I need. Is there any reason why I can't build low ohm, say no higher than .5ohm, on the Reo?

2)assuming #1 isn't an issue, Im just a little confused on which model Reo and atomizer to buy. I see there is lo profile and regular. So, I havent decided on either regular Reo Grand or Reo Grand Mini 2.1, but, assuming I want to use the RM2, does that fit on the regulars or the lo profiles? And then the Lo Profile RM2,, what is that.. Im basically just not understanding the difference btween the lo profile mods and atomizer, and the regular mods and atomizer.

I really appreciate any insight you could provide, Im excited to add a Reo to my collection, its a totally different style of mod compared to what I usually buy, but Im drawn to its aesthetics big time.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Salem, MA, USA
    It sounds like you are barking up the right tree for what you want :)

Most folks stick around .8 for now while the sub ohm kit is anticipated (it will hopefully be out within a few weeks - you can follow updates here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nical-reos-will-seeing-some-upgrades-107.html)

The standard Grand or Mini can fit RBAs up to 14mm and the LP versions can fit, well, about anything. The RM2s have a milled version for standard Grands and Minis while there is an unmilled for LPs. The milled version works on an LP but unmilled looks happier :D

Hope this helps get ya started info wise!

Raynman

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Marion In USA
    On the sub ohm front, if you want to go in the .5 ohm range you may want to wait for the sub ohm kits to come out. Lo Profile is cut down to the top of the 510 whereas the standard has a catch cup. The RM2 has to be milled down to fit in the standard catch cup the Lo Profile RM2 will not be milled down.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

.8ohm ehh? I could probably get on with that.. Ill have to try it out tonight and see how I like the vape. But a subohm kit in the works.. now that I like!

The sizes are making more sense to me now, thank you for spelling it out. Idk why Im not comprehending them on my own lol

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Right now if you go below about .65 ohm on a Reo you run the risk melting the button or collapsing the spring. As CL said and linked to Rob has pulled together the right parts to support sub ohming, He's just waiting for the suppliers to deliver his orders. Some of us have modified our Reos to support any ohm we want by replacing the spring with a 10a car fuse and the firing pin with a Brass feeler gauge.

I was an exclusive dripper before Reo and driving at 70 in rush hour and trying to drip was needless to say a challenge.:facepalm:

The Reo will give you the flavor you want and convenience you need. I was skeptical when I ordered my first one but now have 7.

Regular Reo has deeper 14mm well designed for Cartos, atomizers or any RBA/RDA that is 14mm or smaller.
    The LP Reo has the drip well shortened and will support any size RBA/RDA.

A standard RM2 has the base milled to fit inside a 14mm drip well, this milling exposes the brass
    A LP RM2 does not have any milling done but will not fit into the 14mm drip well.

glasseye

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    NJ

marsos52

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    new jersey
    Hi JmanE, hopefully with the already mentioned input most of your questions about the physical versions of a Reos and RM2 have been cleared up for you. You'll soon see we have some very well informed members in our Reosville community.

I too, have changed my vaping from dripping to bottom feeding, and from sub ohms dual coils at .3 ohms to a much more enjoyable
    single coil setup at .6 to .8 ohms. At .8 ohms I still get a nice flavorful warm vape and a really nice cloud.

Another plus is the build is a lot easier and faster and also much more dependable. much less risk of a accident and increased battery time and less ejuice consumption. with extreme sub ohms chain style vaping becomes exhausting.

I do believe using these 14mm smaller attys gives a new level of vape that makes up of the need to go to the lowest ohm levels.

Every now and then I breakout my Pilipino mod and atty and take a few hits and I can see the enjoyment just isn't the same.
    Kinda like hitting and inhaling off a cigar. HaHa

I think you'll find with a good coil build and a good ejuice formula with a Reos your vaping will enter a level you may have never experienced ever before. And, if not you still have more choices. Mod your Reo for lower ohms, which is a easy mod. Or at the worst case,
    see how fast your rig goes on the sellers section..

You just can't loose...

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    What a lovely response from everyone! Thank you for taking the time!

Ok, I understand the different sizes now. Much appreciated there.

I think Ill be alright at .8ohm or thereabouts, I may look into that subohm mod, and Id most certainly buy the mod pieces if I didn't already do it myself. Even if I find .8 is fine, Id like the option should I desire. Actually though Im thinking about it, a .8 single coil will probably still be pretty solid.. Im really used to dual coils, my go to vape is a .32 dual coil. .8 dual coil would be two 1.6ohm coils, and that would be a slow firing coil. But a single .8ohm actually might almost be comparable to the .32 dual, since the RM2 has a real small chamber.

But I also agree the ability to just vape when driving will also help me like the different resistance coil.

the other thing about the Reo is, I have ALWAYS wanted a box mod. Always. But I left regulated vaping a while ago, so the MVP and VTR were never even considerations. I DID toy with the idea of a DNA 30, but I couldnt drop the coin when I felt I wouldnt use it except occasionally. But this mechanical box mod called Reo ticks all the boxes it looks like.

Now just gotta choose between a mini and a regular. I could see a mini being a nice little device, and since I barely ever fire up the provari, Ive got a pile of 18490s just chillen. Plus it'd give me a reason to get those new purple efest 18500s as well.

Heres a question.

Do you guys basically all build micro/formed coils? Does anyone like to do the old school spaced coils? I still really, really like a spaced coil wrapped on silica.. and not that I dislike micros on cotton.. I just like both. I see a lot of videos of the reo using micros and cotton, im just curious if thats how you all roll.

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    As someone coming from dripping world, I can add a few more things.
    Small is better. Most of RDA companies are going small on their cap because it provides denser and richer vape. RM2 have one of smallest chamber out there.
    "Juice on-demand" changes the whole vaping experience. Puddle of juice on the RDA deck requires hotter coils to really hit it hard. However, free draining deck of bottom feeder like RM2 have no puddle. Hence it actually vape harder than usual RDA.

All these translate to running a bit higher resistance for BF mods. I would have to coil a few clicks down on my Omega or other RDA to match my RM2 (now Chalice). I am getting similar vapor quality on Chalice running at 0.8ohms against Omega at 0.6ohms. Also, I am ended up using 1/4 of cottons on RM2/Chalice with almost no legs on them. Experienced dripper knows that less cotton produce better vapor. So, you will need to rethink the whole coil build.

I also own most of GG, GP, and dozen other mods, but my Reo Grand is still my daily beater. (no offense Rob) :)

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 4, 2012
    Michigan
    Heres a question.

Do you guys basically all build micro/formed coils? Does anyone like to do the old school spaced coils? I still really, really like a spaced coil wrapped on silica.. and not that I dislike micros on cotton.. I just like both. I see a lot of videos of the reo using micros and cotton, im just curious if thats how you all roll.

I run a spaced coil in my RM2 with XC-116, but I run micro & cotton in my cyclones. If you like silica then stick with it, but definitely give cotton and micros a chance as well. As for resistance, you would be surprised how the small chamber on a 14mm atty can boost flavor and vapor without having to go super low.

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Now just gotta choose between a mini and a regular. I could see a mini being a nice little device, and since I barely ever fire up the provari, Ive got a pile of 18490s just chillen. Plus it'd give me a reason to get those new purple efest 18500s as well.

Heres a question.

I initially thought about going with mini but didn't realized how small Grand was. I am very happy with Grand and enjoy the larger battery and juice bottle very much! Here is comparison photo with something you are familiar with. ProVari Mini/Kayfun vs Grand/Chalice.
    IMG_1772.jpg

As for coil type, it is a slow evolution in Reoville. It just happens that most of us are using micro coil/cotton right now, but there are signs of another rotation into spaced coil/silica (or something other than cotton). It is highly personal preference and use whatever style you like. Best part is, it is super easy to build and keep clean.

Ian444

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 26, 2013
    QLD, Australia
    I was led to Reo's from a love of dripping, since the arrival of my first Reo the vaping experience just got better and better.

Regarding the Mini 2.1 vs Grand, I guess you know how long your 18490 batteries last, so expect a few battery changes with the Mini. The Grand goes around twice as long as a Mini with its 18650 battery and 6ml bottle vs 3ml. I find the Mini great for pocketability and being compact, and a Grand is good for going approx twice the distance, with a bit more size and a bit more weight but not much more.

Here's a link to a thread with lots of size comparisons, pics etc:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...escriptions-comparisons-more.html#post7972708

Rickajho

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Rob the creator and modmaster uses old school spaced coils. Even "ugly" coils from what I hear. Not everyone builds micro with cotton. When, yes I said when, you buy a reo. Please post pictures of the beast.

Yes, you will probably find it's a lot more about the placement of the coil in the Reomizer than needing to be fussy about the build itself. Lol - this thing seems to like some really "not pretty" builds so long as you place it right. Really easy to get a working build.

If you want to see more about what you are getting into, see this thread for a complete Reomizer tear down for cleaning and rebuild: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/469920-rm2-full-atomizer-itself-rebuild-pic-heavy.html

Which one to get? Decisions, decisions. I think you need to consider the bottle size for your driving needs. In other words, will a 3 ml bottle get you through a drive to work if you go subohm with really "cloud heavy" builds? Personally, I like my 3 ml Reos for at home, because I like to change flavors often. But when I go out and about the Grand with the 6 ml bottle always ends up in my hand.

No matter what you make your first choice - not to worry. If you are like almost all of us there will be more than one Reo in your arsenal. :D

You're gonna love this. Once you figure out the "four phases of squonking" you really don't look at your Reo at all when you feed it. In the first few days all you have to get a grip on is:

"Ok, this is what's wrong if I don't tighten the bottle enough."

"This is how it works when the bottle is getting low."

"Eek! Yeah, I squonked too hard!"

"Got it - just right."

Once you figure that out you can tell what's going on with your Reo without needing to look at it when squonking. When you first have it you can cheat - slide the door off so you can observe how the bottle & tube is feeding when you begin playing with it. It's a very short learning curve.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread