The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Warnings from antivirus

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RichardV, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Ha! Just got a popup from my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium):

Domain: radioskin.com
    IP: 94.242.216.69
    type: Outbound

yikes.

2. misu

misu Full Member

Nov 16, 2014
    B~lo,NY
    radioskin.com is what pops up when Avast is warning me of a threat. It doesn't show up on scans though. I have the free version and it doesn't show all of the things that are in quarantine. Or, I don't know how to access it. Nothing shows up on a Malwarebytes scan.

Is radioskin edf's data collector program?

3. Shirtbloke

Shirtbloke Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2014
    UK
    I don't seem to have had the problem for a couple of days now - fingers crossed.

Here's a couple of extra things that I've tried.....
    Downloaded and tried out Malwarebytes Anti rootkit Beta.......
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/

I also tried Malwarebytes anti-exploit but found it conflicts with AdBlock so uninstalled it (your milage may vary)......
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

Also uninstalled Firefox - I'd only installed it a couple of days before all this started so I wondered if that might be playing a part.

So as I say I've had a couple of days free from this - let's hope that it's all gone away.

4. X6X8

X6X8 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Paris, Tx, USA
    At 2am this morning, I was here reading a few threads and upon clicking the "Forum" button to return to the home page, I received a warning from my Avast (free version) that a threat was detected. I could still go to other ecig forum threads that I had bookmarked, but I just could not return to the home page. I ended up turning in a "job ticket" to request that the home page be checked out to see what was going on.

This morning, everything was working fine again. The home page was working, and Avast was not indicating a threat warning anymore.

I did run a full scan on my system, and no threats were found.

I found this thread just a little while ago, and was surprised to see others had similar problems in the recent past.

Weird..

5. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Two more warning from my Malwarebytes... The same radioskin.com.

6. HgA1C

HgA1C Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Malware bytes keeps throwing this up on the site as well.

7. damselle

damselle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2012
    New England
    Well, more weirdness. I'm not having this problem on my Mac any longer. Now I'm having it on my on my laptop, Toshiba beauty, that is run with Windows. now I'm getting the radioskin block as well, where before it was something else....

This same thing happened with Nu-Vapor forum a few years ago. I recall they were quick to blame their members systems as well, only to have to shut down completely several months afterwards because of technical issues.

Hope that doesn't have to happen here...cause this is my home.

8. damselle

Jan 29, 2012
    New England
  9. damselle

Jan 29, 2012
    New England
  10. damselle

Jan 29, 2012
    New England
  11. damselle

Jan 29, 2012
    New England
  12. rolygate

rolygate Forum Manager Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 24, 2009
    ECF Towers
    Quick note: there are too many member reports for this to be a local issue at the visitor's end. It's here.

We know it's a local issue when there is only one report, or maybe a couple that are related to known browser issues or whatever. When there are multiple reports it's going to be here. Sometimes it's serious, sometimes it's just the latest update of an app that doesn't like a particular scrip or something.

When there are multiple reports but of varying issues - like now - then we know it's not just an update causing an exception, which is probably harmless; we know it is likely to be a problem and not a false alarm.

Because it jumps from page to page, it is probably caused by an infected banner advert.

Question is, is it just a minor issue such as 3rd party site linked on the ad target site, maybe just a crud site that's blacklisted for poor ethics; or is it a malware script-infected ad? Or something in between? We won't know till the advert is identified.

So - if you see a banner ad on the page that throws the AV message then please tell us what the ad is - thanks. Otherwise it may take some time to track down, as it means viewing every ad, on a computer known to trigger AV warnings with any level of exception detected.

Thanks.

13. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
  14. Ohio Points

Ohio Points Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    O-HI-O
    Well, I have Adblocker Plus, so I don't see any ads or banners...but could it be the new search engine script, the old search engine (main one top right of every page) did not function as a pop-up and I always get alerts after I use that?

15. tiburonfirst

tiburonfirst They call me 'Tibs" Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    back home
    i'm running adblocker plus too and the only indication of trouble i'm getting is

when trying to go from the second-to-last page of a thread to the last page.

16. Shirtbloke

Apr 26, 2014
    UK
    Here's another piece of weird behaviour I've noticed.
    When Avast pops up its warning messages for the radioskin url there's a link at the bottom saying something like "mark this link as a false positive."
    But that link isn't there when it's for the ecig forum.

Very strange!

17. Ohio Points

Ohio Points Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    O-HI-O
  18. rolygate

rolygate Forum Manager Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 24, 2009
    ECF Towers
    Good news - looks like we've found and fixed the problem.

Many thanks to all who provided feedback. Please rest assured that when there are multiple reports of a problem, we do not assign the blame to members - we know the problem is here and we will search it out and fix it.

19. Shirtbloke

Apr 26, 2014
    UK
    That's good to know. Any chance of knowing what was going on - without giving away any secrets of course.

20. damselle

Jan 29, 2012
    New England
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.