Washington Post: Booming e-cigarette market in need of greater oversight, studies say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...a4c5ee-f589-11e3-a606-946fd632f9f1_story.html

In the print edition, the headline reads "E-cigarette market is booming."

The electronic cigarette market is booming both online and in brick-and-mortar retail outlets in ways hardly imaginable half a decade ago, and the growth continues to be largely unregulated, according to a series of studies published Monday in the journal tobacco Control.

“It’s exploding,” said Shu-Hong Zhu, a professor in the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine at the University of California at San Diego, who co-authored one of nine studies funded by the National Cancer Institute. “There’s no sign of slowing down.”

Zhu and other researchers found a “staggering” proliferation of e-cigarette brands and flavors on the Internet in the past two years alone, with roughly 10 new brands and 240 new flavors arriving on the market every month. As of January, researchers trawling English-language Web sites identified 466 e-cigarette brands and 7,764 flavors, from peppermint to piña colada.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Where was the outrage when the marketing and sales of the "Pet Rock" exploded? Countless owners who accidentally dropped their pets had their toes horribly mangled. No government oversight was a catastrophe.

Everyone deserves to have their own government approved plastic bubble to protect them.
(some just don't deserve air-holes)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Where was the outrage when the marketing and sales of the "Pet Rock" exploded? Countless owners who accidentally dropped their pets had their toes horribly mangled. No government oversight was a catastrophe.

Everyone deserves to have their own government approved plastic bubble to protect them.

Except when it's something THEY like.... no problem.....

except there is - reality.

ev+coal.jpg

drksideken

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Syracuse, IN, USA

LOL, we used to have a garage sale every year when I was a little kid. My older sister would always paint up rocks with little faces on them and sell them as pet rocks. It was amazing how much money that turd made. She always lorded the ice cream she bought from the ice cream truck over my head after one of those sales...but then again...sometimes she was cool enough to share :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There's tax money at stake! What if all the smokers quit cigarettes and started vaping? How would they get all that extra budget money to make ends meet if smokers switch to ecigs? Never mind that the money was supposed to be spent on extensive advertising to prevent children from starting to smoke .

Who's seen an anti-smoking ad on TV paid for with tobacco tax money? I haven't. I think it was dumped into the general fund to augment projects that weren't appropriated for those needs. Now they need to tax the new and safer method of obtaining nicotine as smokers switch to ecigs.

Last edited:

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
Article has no link to the actual study. Just to show how easy it is to do I'll put a link here, hopefully someone from the WP will see this and learn how to do it.
http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/23/suppl_3/iii3.full
Now if you read the actual study youll find it's quit a good study. It looks at the rate of expansion and the changes in product available. It looks at how their marketed and the levels of information on the products.
Whats more it shows that ecigs are rapidly developing and in an article on motherboard. Oh hell, I'll add the link;
There Are Now 7,700 Flavors and 460 Brands of E-Cigarettes | Motherboard
one of the authors is quoted as saying "the proposed FDA regulations would wipe out smaller brands, but said there's no doubt it would benefit the brands with "strong financial backing," and that most of those are owned by big tobacco." (he he I can snip judiciously too).

Yes I have a hatred for lazy journalism.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I totally agree about the lazy journalism, but there's some lazy research to go along with it. The study points to an increase in brands, but doesn't indicate fully what is necessary to be considered a brand, or if simply putting your "brand"sticker on a product is considered new.

Simple example, if V2 and SmoklessImage put their brand stickers on 808 batteries and cartos made in the same factory to the same specifications, is it two brands. If a new vendor puts their own sticker or name on the same is it a new brand.

As far as models it would make sense to count different versions as new model. But again take a CE-2 as an example, we now have CE-3, CE-4, CE-5, CE-6? cartos, each is a separate and new model. In figuring the explosion, do the researchers consider that the CE-2 is no longer available, or if it is only in a very limited market. In 2012 many different atomizer models were available, many have been replaced by vendors by RDA in 2014. There's been a huge change in models, but the Model-T have been disappearing from the market also.

As far as flavors, is the Dulce de Leche made with The Flavor Apprentice flavoring, sold under twenty three different names actually all different flavors. If each vendor's name for a flavor is considered new and separate, the vendors imaginations have more to do with the explosion than different flavors.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
That's the main reason that putting FDA control of hardware is insane. It's like the FDA regulating pipes. Their task would be so simplified if they limited their scope to the nicotine product, but then they'd lose the ability to insure that BT owns the market when they're through.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Who's seen an anti-smoking ad on TV paid for with tobacco tax money? I haven't. I think it was dumped into the general fund to augment projects that weren't appropriated for those needs. Now they need to tax the new and safer method of obtaining nicotine as smokers switch to ecigs.

the states get to spend the money as they see fit.here in minnesota we get the ads.a diabetic loosing limbs because of smoking. not because smoking "may"aggravate certain conditions in diabetics but,directly because of smoking. then there was the native american who died because the people at work smoked? i wonder where he worked? they don't mention that. i am willing to bet smoke free minnesota's next round of ads target e-cigarettes.
regards
mike

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
I totally agree about the lazy journalism, but there's some lazy research to go along with it. The study points to an increase in brands, but doesn't indicate fully what is necessary to be considered a brand, or if simply putting your "brand"sticker on a product is considered new.

Simple example, if V2 and SmoklessImage put their brand stickers on 808 batteries and cartos made in the same factory to the same specifications, is it two brands. If a new vendor puts their own sticker or name on the same is it a new brand.

As far as models it would make sense to count different versions as new model. But again take a CE-2 as an example, we now have CE-3, CE-4, CE-5, CE-6? cartos, each is a separate and new model. In figuring the explosion, do the researchers consider that the CE-2 is no longer available, or if it is only in a very limited market. In 2012 many different atomizer models were available, many have been replaced by vendors by RDA in 2014. There's been a huge change in models, but the Model-T have been disappearing from the market also.

As far as flavors, is the Dulce de Leche made with The Flavor Apprentice flavoring, sold under twenty three different names actually all different flavors. If each vendor's name for a flavor is considered new and separate, the vendors imaginations have more to do with the explosion than different flavors.

Yes, I think that's the point of the study. To ascertain the interest in the market for manufactures and vendors as much as consumer interest.
I don't think they were looking at ecigs or juice in itself as much as examining the market.
This is why this study is interesting, it shows the 'gold rush' end of things as well as the level of innovation and development of products and branding.
While our concern with ecigs is entirely self serving, I don't mind admitting it, I'm watching developments from a self interest point of view
I also find watching the development of a new product category fascinating. I never paid much attention to the digital camera when it happened or the move to mobile phones. It was ecigs that drew my attention to how much politics and vested interests play into the success or failure of a new technology. Ecigs must be a market researchers dream, fast moving and with a new twist to the whole thing, huge consumer support, not just buying the things but making the effort to promote and campaign in favour of their product. Not astro turf but genuine grass roots support.
Was their ever a protest about mobile phone regs? we just accepted whatever compromise they came up with. This time the consumer is doing more to further the cause than the industry itself. No offence to cassa or ecitta but they are the result of users demanding a say, not the industry forming a lobby group to further their interests. This time the lobby groups are working in the consumers favour.
Yeah their's tveac but what you gona do?

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

:blink: Did you call someone a bad name there??

;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The industry is feeling the punch of the call for taxation. Big Tobacco is feeling the economic crunch caused by the millions who have switched to ecigs. Something will happen as BT adopts the changes and puts out their products. You can bet that BT has done the medical research and found that government can only condone (and tax) this "new" product.

The industry and government are both coming around to the inevitable rise of e-cigarettes as the new tax cow.
Will Taxes And Regulation Rein In The Booming E-Cigarette Market? - Forbes

It also increases the odds that electronic cigarettes, which heat nicotine into a vapor instead of burning tobacco, will be dragged into the same web of taxes and regulations that state, federal and local authorities have used to control the cigarette business. Right now e-cigs operate virtually free of federal regulation and only one state, Minnesota, subjects them to more than ordinary sales taxes.

“One of the great misconceptions about e-cigs is it’s a fragmented industry,” Martin told me. “While there are 300 companies, the top three of them have 85% of the market.”

“If it turns out that it is the most successful pathway for people to transition off of cigarettes that would mitigate the tax chatter,” Martin said. “It would be a revenue conversation, which would be a more moderate than this crazy burn-the-witches-at-the-stake thing.”

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
the states get to spend the money as they see fit.here in minnesota we get the ads.a diabetic loosing limbs because of smoking. not because smoking "may"aggravate certain conditions in diabetics but,directly because of smoking. then there was the native american who died because the people at work smoked? i wonder where he worked? they don't mention that. i am willing to bet smoke free minnesota's next round of ads target e-cigarettes.
regards
mike

I've seen those ads here in PA - I don't think BT settlement money funded them. Aren't those run by the CDC? The CDC does have a casting call out for previous smokers who currently vape who have serious health issues.....

As for the BT settlement nearly all (or maybe it is all) states took advance payment - as low as $.10 on the dollar (nanny NY) - many putting the money in the general fund - vs where it was intended, i.e. Off-setting smoker medical expenses and smoking prevention for children.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I'm not seeing the earth-shattering negatives in this article. It's suggesting 2 phases of regulation, the first being ingredient listing, minor bans, etc; all the things most of us can live with. The 2nd phase would be more study to provide evidence regarding e-cig effectiveness. Until then, basically no more new regulations.

Keep in mind I once read "War and Peace" in 20 minutes for a college essay and failed miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread