Not open for further replies.

angel.white

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Kansas
Misleading E-Cigarette Marketing Examined - Associated Content
By Sylvia Cochran

Negative excerpts:
The problem lies in the fact that nobody is really sure if it is safe to inhale pure nicotine. Sure, there is the theory that the e-cigarette is safer, simply because its vapors lack the plethora of carcinogens that regular tobacco smoke contains, but at the same time, there is no officially accepted study that brands e-cigarettes as safe
Marketers of e-cigs take umbrage at the thought that bright colors, and chocolate or fruit flavorings are produced to appeal to an underage crowd; they are going so far as to call liars all those who even suggest this kind of marketing gimmick as being targeted to kids. Of course, it is hard to argue with the fact that bright colors and chocolate or fruit flavors generally do appeal to kids and young girls in particular.

Moreover, former addicts who managed to quit smoking may once again come back to the habit with the understanding that it is now safe, perhaps even healthy, to engage in this practice
Positive excerpts:
Marketers are wasting no time setting up their market share for the e-cigarette. Highlighting the fact that instead of toxin laden smoke there is now pure nicotine vapor, marketing copy speaks of nicotine fun, as opposed to nicotine addition, and of course also highlights the eco-friendliness of no longer littering the highways and byways with butts.
Ambivalent excerpts:
On the other hand of the equation are physicians who concede that it is not the nicotine in cigarettes that technically causes the cancer (although nicotine has been shown to halt the body's ability to destroy precancerous cells and thus might heighten the body's susceptibility to developing cancer) but at the same time the effect of pure nicotine on the human body is not sufficiently studied to proclaim it safe or even safer than traditional cigarettes.

Best comments to the article:
BTW, some of your clothes are brightly colored - is that because you're trying to date kids?
I have to laugh. When nicotine is inhaled, it is a "drug". When it is in the form of gum or a patch sold by a large corporation it is a "medicine".

Conclusion:
It wasn't a bad article, I think she dislikes them, or dislikes cigarettes, and so that feeling gets applied to e-cigs by proxy. I think she tries to be objective and present both sides, but she can't bring herself to explain an argument for them without a disclaimer / rebuttal. The flavours and colours portion irritates me, it seems like she thinks we should hate life, sombre and solomn, concrete gray little sticks we suck on in shame while hiding our faces, like we shouldn't be allowed to enjoy ourselves, be curious, smile, or have a personality. She also ignores that analogues come in flavours as well, and hell, so do condoms for that matter. Still, she didn't just trash them, and so I give her points for trying to be fair.

Interestingly, one of the sources she cited was this website.

One of the people in the comments was named Walrus, perhaps this is ours? (I hope this isn't a repost again >.<)

Last edited:

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
I dislike the continued reference to "Pure Nicotine" It makes this sound like there's nothing else in the juice except nic..... THAT would be deadly....

If you were to list the ingredients in our juice by order of weight, volume or mass, nicotine and/or other tobacco extracts are pretty far down on the list... the big 3 being PG, VG and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread