Tight Wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Just wondering... I ordered "cellu-cotton" and didn't realize there are two kinds... one is just cotton, the other rayon. The regular cotton works great (but not the same as rayon that a friend gave me a sample) Has anyone used the "cellu-cotton"? I'm still going to order rayon anyway (it's so cheap and one box will last forever)
I'm all for stuffing wicks tight into coils, but I also found if you overdo it, it's hard to get the wick out (if you don't need to change the coil) so won't push it so hard the next time.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Cellucotton (the rayon one) is all I use. You know I have heard of dudes complaining of this problem. The chicks never seem to have this issue although I will say the internal layout of Sally's is NOT an issue for me (it's the same everywhere.)

You approach the counter and ask the chick behind it for Cellucotton rayon and she politely leads you to it and says nothing about your gender identity. She is a bored teen and could not care less.

Or, you learn to pay REAL close attention to SKU numbers on Cellucoton rayon. I can't remember it. But if you do a search you will get numbers AND pics which say "100% rayon."

Guh, Time to eat soon. Not hungry .Nu uh.
Anna

Reactions: bigbob2322

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It might be a dude

I have never encountered a dude in Sallys. Even Douglas has one. They don't have a Starbucks but the do have a Sallys. I bet all the ethnicities of youthful women are freaking out currently, I don't think "Dying your hair and waxing your legs" are considered essential activities. I am good with hair, I cut it and mess with it myself, for a long time. Get mah supplies from Amazon.

About precisely a year ago today I decided I would wax my legs for the anniversary of me and the husband. I believe we went to Tucson. I grew out my bug hairs, I covered them in hot wax slathered it on and expected good results. It did not go as planned, I had bruised and angry welted red all over. I am not trying that again without some serious tutelage, like watching a million videos. I mean... I have waxed my eyebrows and gotten fairly proficient in the like dark female arts.

Not waxing. The worst part was I had no wax dissolver. My legs were so sticky I had to wear knee high socks and then jeans on top. it was also hot.

So be careful with the rayon I think it is safer than hot wax however.
Anna

• Winner
Reactions: RuiG

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
The cellu cotton I got from my local sally beauty must have been there for a while and picked up some nasty flavor. I boiled some and it was fine, but luckily the taste went away with time because thats a mess.
They sell some pretty noxious stuff, maybe there was a spill nearby the box.

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You might have been experiencing the "classic rayon taste that happens if you don't saturate the wick and dry burn that gets rid of it. IDK maybe something got in the rayon but I would imagine boiling it works, too IDK the boxes are SEALED I don't see how something could have got in it.

Although if "something did" and it truly smelled awful new, I would send it back, not boil it. Sally's does have some gross things, like ah acetone and stuff.

Anyway glad it is working for you now.

Anna

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
Hey guys, @gsmit1 thanks for listening in. Sorry for my longer splains at times. Hope you get that I'm a bit preachin to the bleachers. Hopin' our misbegotten social distancing soon becomes a ridiculed relic of history and we see a resurgence of interest here in rebuilding. Think it may come sooner rather than later seeing what some are paying for drop-in products outside of our own enlightened crew of serial bargain shoppers. I'm sure most strollin' through here for now are expert at both.

Good luck. :)
I wanted to at least drop in (not coils :D ) for a minute and say that no apology is necessary. Nuthin wrong with long splainin when called for.

People are different and I totally get why many would roll their eyes at so much twiddling over something as mundane as putting some fibrous material in their coils. nuthin wrong with that either.

In that light, I also do totally get why people love factory coils. Especially with how they've improved over the last couple years. They will sell like hotcakes as long as they are available and there's nuthin wrong with that either.

That said, I still think that many steer away from rebuildables because they think it's harder than it is.

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
I wonder if upping the wattage solves that problem.

I can put a coil in and wick it, fill it up and it's fine until I go to refill and start unscrewing the top and see the bubbles rising. I think I may try a little extra rayon cut just to fill the wick holes more and give it a try. Lately I've just been enjoying my narda clone. It's really tasty and once my BF mech box get here I'm thinking I may have my perfect set up.:)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Just wondering... I ordered "cellu-cotton" and didn't realize there are two kinds... one is just cotton, the other rayon. The regular cotton works great (but not the same as rayon that a friend gave me a sample) Has anyone used the "cellu-cotton"? I'm still going to order rayon anyway (it's so cheap and one box will last forever)
I'm all for stuffing wicks tight into coils, but I also found if you overdo it, it's hard to get the wick out (if you don't need to change the coil) so won't push it so hard the next time.

There's a sweet spot with wicking. With cotton the wick expands when you juice it. Rayon shrinks a little when you juice it. Rayon is frequently labelled as "cellucotton" or "cellucotton rayon".

With rayon I usually make the wick thick enough where I have to twist it a little as I pull it through the coil. Cotton, I make it where it slides with a little resistance, but not enough to bend the legs on the coil. The difference between the two is small, but important to get the best wicking and juice flow to the coil. With either, too tight in the coil and you experience dry hits when the wicking is compressed too tightly, especially with high wattage.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That said, I still think that many steer away from rebuildables because they think it's harder than it is.

Agree. Winding your own coils is a learned process. It doesn't take long to get it right and after that the learning process is worth the time spent experimenting, IMO. You save lots of money and once you learn what works you get even better flavor and vapor because it's tuned to your own preference and vaping style.

The money saved can be spent on more hardware!

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
With rayon I usually make the wick thick enough where I have to twist it a little as I pull it through the coil. Cotton, I make it where it slides with a little resistance, but not enough to bend the legs on the coil. The difference between the two is small, but important to get the best wicking and juice flow to the coil.
That has been my experience with rayon (I do like it because it seems to wick better and the "tails" seem "fluff out" easily... no need to mess with it) I can't say that either is better (cotton or rayon)... depends on the application, but overall I do really like rayon overall (unless your tank likes to leak, but even then if you stuff the coil really tight it still works better))

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
With rayon I usually make the wick thick enough where I have to twist it a little as I pull it through the coil.
Yes, you have to twist it more to get it through the coil (and untwist it after) but it does have some advantages (seems to hold up better and besides wicking if you don't push it too hard, it performs well overall)

• Agree

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yes, you have to twist it more to get it through the coil (and untwist it after) but it does have some advantages (seems to hold up better and besides wicking if you don't push it too hard, it performs well overall)

I haven't used cotton in several years. It's been Rayon for me. I still have a couple of sealed packs of Kho Gen Do pads in my vape cabinet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread