Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I find that I wick (with rayon) MUCH tighter ,if that’s the correct word, than any of the YT reviewers do ESPECIALLY bottom airflow RTAs.

I’ve never used cotton so I can’t offer any thoughts about it.

However l, I’m ALWAYS amazed at how little wicking material is used when watching rta building videos. And I watch quite a few Inc some who use rayon.

I’m surprised at how much I pack the rayon in through the coil. I actually make it so tight that I twirl the one end I’m sliding into the coil. Depending on the coil gauge I’ll use a finger nail or tool to keep the coil from getting deformed.

If I don’t follow this routine I end up getting leaking from bottom air flow tanks.

maybe every one already knows this Maybe not. Hopefully it’ll help just one person afraid to use bottom air flow tanks due to leaks that so many are hesitant to try because of the “leaking”.

Basically, if wicking is done correctly no RTA should leak unless there’s an o ring problem etc

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Any rta not wicked properly for the correct wick material will result in leaks or poor wicking with dry hits. I use cotton and that swells when moistened within the coil. So too much is bad. Too little and it can leak. Rayon behaves differently so lacking the coil seems appropriate.

Disclaimer I dint use rayon so that info is second hand. But certainly with cotton you use far less, so what you’re seeing in wicking to “loosely” applies to the wicking material used, almost always cotton. It’s not the same for rayon, the same way you cut and thin the tails. If you did that with cotton you’d get done nasty leaking.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I do the same with Rayon wick (make it tight enough that you have to twist it to get through the coil). It shrinks and compacts a little when you juice it up.

Cotton swells, so I use a little less.

I hear people say pull it thru until it hurts!!

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yup yup yup lots of rayon in the coil. But not so much it breaks in half.

I can overstuff ANYTHING. Take that however you want but believe it or not I had to learn to exercise a little restraint, even with RAYON. Heh. That is why it was the miraculous fix it was imagine doing that with COTTON (don't.)

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Yup yup yup lots of rayon in the coil. But not so much it breaks in half.

I can overstuff ANYTHING. Take that however you want but believe it or not I had to learn to exercise a little restraint, even with RAYON. Heh. That is why it was the miraculous fix it was imagine doing that with COTTON (don't.)

Anna

You make me smile!!

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
I've been experimenting with wrapping a cotton shell over a rayon core. Like 1/3 rayon in the middle with 2/3 cotton on the outside. (give or take). Of course any ratio is possible.

I'm going to try it the other way too. Rayon over cotton. Rayon wicks a lot faster, but holds a lot less liquid by volume when saturated.

A hybrid wick should give the best of both worlds. AND a new group of experiments for me to play with :D

So far the rayon inside of cotton is really good. It's not going to revolutionize vaping, but it is really good.

RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
I must be doing something different.

For me it's not about how tight it is inside the coil. That makes a different in gurgling, flavour or spit back.

Another interesting tip is that I get amazing results in some atomisers using a technique similar to a Scottish roll.

My main difference when wicking with rayon or cotton is how I fluff the tips of the wick and how I pack it in wick ports... that in essence should be the origin of leaking problems.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I've been experimenting with wrapping a cotton shell over a rayon core. Like 1/3 rayon in the middle with 2/3 cotton on the outside. (give or take). Of course any ratio is possible.

I'm going to try it the other way too. Rayon over cotton. Rayon wicks a lot faster, but holds a lot less liquid by volume when saturated.

A hybrid wick should give the best of both worlds. AND a new group of experiments for me to play with :D

So far the rayon inside of cotton is really good. It's not going to revolutionize vaping, but it is really good.
1yodo9.jpg

Reactions: CMD-Ky

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
I would think rayon on the outside might preserve the wicking longer so yeah, try that.

I am not even ever going to try thinking about doing that no thank you nu-huh. Mixing wicking sounds like the kind of trouble I DO not need. Heh.
Anna
I'm honestly not sure what you mean. What kind of trouble :)

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
With cotton I try to balance the amount so I get best flavour/no leaks. Can't stand that muted flavour you get from too much cotton through the coil. I've only recently started using rayon and can't really say that the vape is better or worse yet. What's the benefit of rayon?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
With cotton I try to balance the amount so I get best flavour/no leaks. Can't stand that muted flavour you get from too much cotton through the coil. I've only recently started using rayon and can't really say that the vape is better or worse yet. What's the benefit of rayon?

Biggest benefits are much higher temp tolerance, longer, smoother fibers make it much more efficient in wicking, no cotton "break-in" flavor. But I don't use it any more, because I like the consistency of cutting KGD pads consistently sized every time, without fiddling to pull apart fibers, trying to get it right. If rayon came in pads, though, I'd use it.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
The largest benefits to me are temperature handling (you have to really try to burn a rayon wick) and longevity.

I can use the same wick for weeks, I vape a simple diy peppermint menthol which vapes very clean but with cotton the menthol loses its cooling effect (mutes) after about 4 or 5 days. With rayon it takes much longer.

There are other benefits but those are the two that has kept me using it for years.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I don't care what anyone says, any RTA is gonna leak even a little bit, top or bottom air flow. It's just that with top airflow you won't know it until you lay it on it's side or put it in your pocket or purse where it gets oriented anyway but upright. I think the only thing that will truly eliminate or at least greatly reduce leaking is a juice shut off mechanism (which I hate WAY more than leaking as I never remember to open it lol).

Don't flame me, bro...jmho.

• Agree
    Reactions: stols001

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Another interesting test. It never ceases to amaze me though how often observing the obvious makes for the opposite conclusion. In fairness, how we wick can be a greater factor in how the media responds. I've never observed rayon to have better capillary action or permeability than KGD. It's apparent flow advantage here is pretty evident (as well as retention). Rayon can dry out faster than cotton and this could be an advantage given enough juice supply. Why I think ample wicking (tight under strain) of a pulled linear fiber wick likely does ensure that flow, provided no twisting which would choke it. Thinning the tails or supply of that however would seem to defeat the purpose.

Thx for the visuals @gsmit1. Have a great vape.

Good luck. :)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I tried the on your side airhole test. Laid my vapes flat on tissue paper. There was enough leakage for me to go, "Oooh that's why paper gets messed up in my purse. Now, I close off airholes and ziplock bag.

That amount of leaking isn't really leakage except yeah, it is. It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong, it just means any ole thing with holes and juice is gonna at least MIST a little I mean have you operate a colander?

I will say, my rayon "mist" approaches NOTHING like the "misty rayon" leak. It's really hard to enjoy an RTA when it is leaking so much your hands are sticky and like you see the juice level decreasing. Makes it hard to focus on ah, flavor you are busy going "I AM THE incompetent one."

I have felt like that all freaking day this stupid up and down with this illness which HOLY GOODNESS and all that, if this is :"some random virus" I'd really like to meet COVID in the FLESH and kill it dead. Gah.

Anna

Anything could happen. Volcanoes could erupt OH if only the giant caldera that is Tucson would erupt for example. AFTER we sell our house and recoup some DANG loss.

I hate everything. But yes I would have NO idea how thoroughly or not to wick something like that and am 100% sure I would mess it up the first fifty times. I am happy with mah rayon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread