Water in calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbeard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Buffalo, WV
As I understand it, water is and can be used to thin VG. I'm not sure why it shows up as a separate item in the calculators I've found, but I have a question about VG and water percentages.

Since I've not purchased my nic, PG and VG yet, I have to believe that VG is real thick, so thick that my hypodermic needle won't suck it up easily. I've read that watered-down VG in the ratio of about 80:20 is what most folk work with.

My question is:

Should I water down my entire bottle of VG as soon as I get it? I plan on shooting for final mixes of 75/25 +/- 5% to use in my eGo-T, eGo-C, and 510T. I'll probably start with 36mg/ml 50/50 nic juice to start with.

If so, when using something like the juice Me Up calculator, should this thinned VG be considered pure VG or should i use some form of percentage on the VG used?

Does that make sense?

MattBott

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
A couple random thoughts that came to me while reading your post:

Whe you say "shooting for final mixes of 75/25," do you mean VG/Water, PG/VG or VG/PG?

If you are buying you nic juice already at 50/50 pg/vg, it is already thinned with PG. I'm fine using an 18 gauge needle for 50/50 mixes.

You can get larger sized needles for use with VG. Wizard Labs sells 14 gauge, blunt tipped needles that are great for sucking up thicker liquids, like VG.

What final nic strength are you looking for?

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
I use straight VG (the only PG I use is in flavorings) and wouldn't recommend prethinning your glycerin. I usually shoot for 20-22% Not VG in my mixes so if I'm using 10-12% flavoring I only add 10% distilled water - if my flavoring is closer to 5% I'll increase the DW to 15%.

Some people don't use a needle when working with VG - I mix into dropper bottles so I use a 14 gauge needle and have no trouble with smaller (3-6cc) syringes. With a 10cc or larger syringe I just pull out the plunger and fill the syringe from the top. You can plug the end of the syringe with your finger or use a shortened carto condom - they work pretty well for capping a Luer lock fitting.

Last edited:

Blackbeard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Buffalo, WV
A couple random thoughts that came to me while reading your post:

Whe you say "shooting for final mixes of 75/25," do you mean VG/Water, PG/VG or VG/PG?

If you are buying you nic juice already at 50/50 pg/vg, it is already thinned with PG. I'm fine using an 18 gauge needle for 50/50 mixes.

You can get larger sized needles for use with VG. Wizard Labs sells 14 gauge, blunt tipped needles that are great for sucking up thicker liquids, like VG.

What final nic strength are you looking for?

I should have been more specific.

I want to make a juice that starts with 36 mg/ml 50/50 PG/VG nic juice. I want to end up with a juice that is 10% flavor and a final nic content of 12 mg/ml and 75/25 PG/VG. According to the calculator, I would need to add 8% pure VG to get to that final mix.

My question was basically one concerning that 8% VG. I've read that most cut their VG to make a 80:20 VG/water solution just to work with the VG. In most calculators, there's a place to enter VG and a place to enter water. I guess I'm not sure how water affects mixtures other than diluting them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread