Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
People are not going to spend $ to mail heavy batts thru the mail.

Besides, it's unnecessary. EVERY municipality has a hazmat program where you can turn in batteries.

Some communities have a drive-thru once or twice a year where you bring your bathroom cleaners, paints, batteries, etc. by the carload. Others allow you to drop off.

Just call your local disposal company. I have to haul my own trash to a disposal site every week (we don't have trash pickup as far out as I live in the woods) so I have a box where I separate hazardous stuff and I hand that over separately.

After studying hazmat articles I was amazed at how so many household cleaning and bathroom cleaning materials are considered hazmat. i.e. not safe for regular disposal according to all the disposal companies.

Which of course, made me stop using them in my home. I wonder why people with young children spray that stufff around all over the place. Something to think about! Even the containers are considered hazmat.

Just because it's sold OTC doesn't mean it's safe or non-carcinogenic.

Last edited:

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
No they dont. You arent even supposed to send li-ion batteries through the mail.That doubles the risk for both companies and individuals.

Check with your local landfill, many of them offer free battery recycling and disposal.

Actually, I believe that was an international mail restriction, and it was lifted by the USPS back in November:
Just in Time for the Holidays, U.S. Postal Service to Begin Global Shipping of Packages with Lithium Batteries

I do agree with you and Tibby about finding a local recycling place as it could be more convenient and cost effective.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Actually, I believe that was an international mail restriction, and it was lifted by the USPS back in November:
Just in Time for the Holidays, U.S. Postal Service to Begin Global Shipping of Packages with Lithium Batteries

I do agree with you and Tibby about finding a local recycling place as it could be more convenient and cost effective.

As of December the USPS was still asking me if I was sending anything potentially hazardous or perishable including lithium ion batteries or liquids for domestic Priority mail.

Given how clueless my local offce that could have been an oversight on their part or just habit but yeah, there are plenty of alternatives for recycling locally and they have the benefit of a smaller carbon footprint to boot.

I think some Radioshacks might also offer disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread