weird problem with P18 need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
hi david. I'll push the button and get no contact. It feels like the button is hitting a wall. I have to try over and over hitting the button and this may be helpful to you, but the best success I've had is pushing the button only on the edge, not full face. It's not foolproof though and the next drag that position doesn't work. I've tried repositioning the spring, took the rubber O ring out/in no help. doesn't matter what battery, tried 2 diff springs, 2 diff brass posts, 2 diff buttons.

firing of my precise is very erratic and it's driving me crazy. hit or miss between hits and unfortunately after 4 Riva 901 batteries decided to crap out within a weeks time, i was hoping you would have some tshooting advice for me so I don't have to send it back in.

i don't think the spring is hitting the shelf for the battery and stopping before contact with the battery, but that's what it feels like/acts like. Knowing you are busy with ppl wanting your new rodium (sp?) kits, I hate to send it in right now for a tune up.

any ideas of what i can try? the contacts are clean. No noalox, because i prefer not to use it. thx david. i'll subscribe to the thread so i can watch for your tips.

Nicblazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
juice, I might be out of my league by suggesting this to you, but I'm gonna try it since Dave was the one that helped with a very similar problem. Your contact post (the 4 contact prong base) has to be well tightened. If it's in any shape or form kind of loose (tightened by hand) you might end up having intermittent firing.

Use a brass screwdriver to tighten your base screw so that it doesn't move due to constant usage. After Dave helped me out with this, I haven't had a single misfire and my p18+ has been hitting harder than ANY other mechanical mod that I ever had.

Like I've said, it's just a suggestion to a very similar problem that I've had and it might not be the solution, but since it seems that you have tried many other methods for solving this problem, try this one too :).

Good luck and I hope that it helps,

Nic

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
hi david. I'll push the button and get no contact. It feels like the button is hitting a wall. I have to try over and over hitting the button and this may be helpful to you, but the best success I've had is pushing the button only on the edge, not full face. It's not foolproof though and the next drag that position doesn't work. I've tried repositioning the spring, took the rubber O ring out/in no help. doesn't matter what battery, tried 2 diff springs, 2 diff brass posts, 2 diff buttons.

firing of my precise is very erratic and it's driving me crazy. hit or miss between hits and unfortunately after 4 Riva 901 batteries decided to crap out within a weeks time, i was hoping you would have some tshooting advice for me so I don't have to send it back in.

i don't think the spring is hitting the shelf for the battery and stopping before contact with the battery, but that's what it feels like/acts like. Knowing you are busy with ppl wanting your new rodium (sp?) kits, I hate to send it in right now for a tune up.

any ideas of what i can try? the contacts are clean. No noalox, because i prefer not to use it. thx david. i'll subscribe to the thread so i can watch for your tips.

Sounds like you've tried the obvious thing such as cleaning and making sure the post is tight as Nic mentioned above.

What kind of batteries are you running and are the bottoms of the batteries worn out? I ask this because some battery manufacturers coat the bottom plastic protection circuit with a thin metal plating that soon wears through to the plastic causing it to not make contact. Repleace batteries if so.

Other then that a tune up may be in order and if you haven't upgraded to the Rhodium contacts, do that while we have it in.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
Oh wow Nicblazer thank you!! last night in frustration i noaloxed the brass screw, the very top of the spring for lubrication, and the underside of the top cap. it seems to be firing consistently at the moment.

the screw is tight. thinking it wasn't making contact, i put 3 brass spacers under the screw last night. yes the screw was loose then. i was trying everything i could think of to get the height to make contact. let me see how this setup works. One thing I do when it misfires is unscrew the top cap a couple hairs and it will temporarily fire. It's almost like it needs more room to move the battery up to the contact. ???? if i lower the screw by removing spacers though the feed is too short and it feels like it's hitting the shelf.

David i have all kinds of batteries, AW's that i got from you, trustfires with the flame, ultrafires, you name it, so i don't see a problem with a particular battery. Even the AW 3.0's that i got from you will do it and those have been used very little. i started using them with 510 carto's of unknown vintage that john sent me and the 5 volt bump is very nice! i was loving that setup until yesterday when none of the batteries worked.

let me play with it some more. since the noalox, i'm hoping this fixed it. If not, I'll have to get some batteries to hold me over and send it in for a tune up.

No cash for the upgrade kit right now, david. Got a bunch of medical going on at the moment, but hopefully in a few months. Those kits are only a temporary upgrade/availability???

thx guys for your help!!

Nicblazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
Oh wow Nicblazer thank you!! last night in frustration i noaloxed the brass screw, the very top of the spring for lubrication, and the underside of the top cap. it seems to be firing consistently at the moment.

the screw is tight. thinking it wasn't making contact, i put 3 brass spacers under the screw last night. yes the screw was loose then. i was trying everything i could think of to get the height to make contact. let me see how this setup works. One thing I do when it misfires is unscrew the top cap a couple hairs and it will temporarily fire. It's almost like it needs more room to move the battery up to the contact. ???? if i lower the screw by removing spacers though the feed is too short and it feels like it's hitting the shelf.

David i have all kinds of batteries, AW's that i got from you, trustfires with the flame, ultrafires, you name it, so i don't see a problem with a particular battery. Even the AW 3.0's that i got from you will do it and those have been used very little. i started using them with 510 carto's of unknown vintage that john sent me and the 5 volt bump is very nice! i was loving that setup until yesterday when none of the batteries worked.

let me play with it some more. since the noalox, i'm hoping this fixed it. If not, I'll have to get some batteries to hold me over and send it in for a tune up.

No cash for the upgrade kit right now, david. Got a bunch of medical going on at the moment, but hopefully in a few months. Those kits are only a temporary upgrade/availability???

thx guys for your help!!

Awesome for you, Juice. Now from a vaper to another, it would be awesome if you had the upgraded rhodium base and top contacts. I think Dave is charging $50.00 (sorry forgot to check the price) for the upgrade. If you have Paypal shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send the cash to you for the upgrade, no worries. You won't owe me anything, man. Just helping a fellow vaper out.

With it you won't have to Noalox anymore :vapor:

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
Awesome for you, Juice. Now from a vaper to another, it would be awesome if you had the upgraded rhodium base and top contacts. I think Dave is charging $50.00 (sorry forgot to check the price) for the upgrade. If you have Paypal shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send the cash to you for the upgrade, no worries. You won't owe me anything, man. Just helping a fellow vaper out.

With it you won't have to Noalox anymore :vapor:

how sweet you are! I appreciate the offer, but there is no way i could do that though! as long as david will have the upgrade kits in the future, i'll get one down the road. I don't mind noalox inside the precise, i just hate it up at the atty connection. I found out i have COPD now so I'm going to try to quit vaping if i can, or at least cut back quite a bit. So i'm good for now with the P18 working and when it's time i'll send it in to david to have a looksee at it.

without your help Nicblazer, i would have thrown it against the wall the other night. my solution was to keep loosening the screw to make contact and your solution was to tighten it ;-) I really appreciate your quick help with that!! And thank you for the upgrade kit offer. it was very sweet of you!

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
that's great news david!! i will let you hook me up later in the year ;-)

The investment will be worth it many times over, you really wont believe how little the maintenance is, and how consistent the hit is. I usually do not like new people to try my P+ because it hits so hard. Sounds like nicblazer wants to help you out, you should take him up on it, you can always pay it forward later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread