Weird Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my daughter was in college, we sent her a care package with lots of munchies, socks, etc. Because our garden did well that year, my wife put a large butternut squash in at the top. It was sent in early September via USPS with no tracking. After a couple of weeks, we filed missing package paperwork with USPS, and never heard anything else about it. Until, that is, the following April, when the package arri9ved out of the blue at our daughter's place with no explanation. Everything was intact, except that gorgeous 3+ pound squash, which had decomposed completely all over everything else in the box.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Just recently I saw a package move from California all the way out to Texas before coming back up here to Oregon. Never seen it before then, it's almost like they know we're waiting on our vape mail and reroute it across the country out of spite :p

They seem to be doing this more and more.The explanation i got when i questioned about it is,that they send them to different sort facilities "To save money" i dont see how sending something up to thousands of miles out of the way saves money haha.They have done it with my stuff several times though,but this is where i really dont understand how savings are to be made.Some packages will come to a sort facility that is in my city,less than 15 minutes away from where i live,then instead of going straight to my post office,they send it to another sort facilty that is 125 miles away from me,just to send it right back to my main post office,yeah big savings there haha.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I had a package go to Puerto Rico one time by USPS mistake before it got corrected and sent to me. USPS is not reliable or consistent anymore. :(

ROFL!! One time I flew from ATL to Milwaukee -- brief layover at O'Hare -- and when I got to Milwaukee, I discovered that my luggage had been taken on vacation... to Puerto Rico! :facepalm: They brought it out to the house the next morning. :D

Andria

carrielsal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
ROFL!! One time I flew from ATL to Milwaukee -- brief layover at O'Hare -- and when I got to Milwaukee, I discovered that my luggage had been taken on vacation... to Puerto Rico! :facepalm: They brought it out to the house the next morning. :D

Andria

Sounds like your luggage got an upgraded ticket! The first plane flight I took as an adult was flying to army basic training many years ago. I didn't know to pack some essential items in case your luggage didn't show up. I arrived at Ft Dix the week after Christmas, but my luggage did not. Since all the drill sergeants hadn't returned back from Christmas break we were signed into a barracks, but we couldn't leave. I was stuck for 2 days without even a toothbrush.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Sounds like your luggage got an upgraded ticket! The first plane flight I took as an adult was flying to army basic training many years ago. I didn't know to pack some essential items in case your luggage didn't show up. I arrived at Ft Dix the week after Christmas, but my luggage did not. Since all the drill sergeants hadn't returned back from Christmas break we were signed into a barracks, but we couldn't leave. I was stuck for 2 days without even a toothbrush.

That totally sucks; at least the airline (American Airlines, now defunct) gave me a "courtesy bag" with toothbrush and etc, when they realized why my bag didn't show up on the carousel. :thumb: But considering that mine was also right after xmas, and in my bag were various items I'd gotten for xmas, I was REALLY worried -- luckily the bag showed up before I was even up, the next morning.

Should have seen that layover at O'Hare, though. Talk about 'standing room only'... this was more like 'lying room only,' there were so many people camped out there, waiting on the storm to pass -- snowstorm right after xmas. When I got on the plane to Milwaukee -- FINALLY! -- my seat was unfortunately directly next to a wing... so I got to watch them de-ice the wings... THREE TIMES, before we finally taxied. I love to fly but that was NERVE WRACKING to say the least!!!

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
FedEx and UPS have taken a lot of business away from USPS by being more efficient. For me, going to the Post office is like pulling teeth - slow clerks, inefficient, unresponsive and unwilling to listen to suggestions. And why should they? Their job is secure - can not be fired for incompetence.

It's also opened up a whole new retail industry -- the mailing centers where you can get a pkg weighed and appropriate postage affixed, WITHOUT standing in a qtr-mile long line. And the people there are actually happy to wait on you... unlike postal clerks.

Andria

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
I don't think this issue is with USPS in general but somethings wrong with it down in Florida. I get all my packages in time from everywhere in the country but Florida. Sometimes they go to Miami before leaving the State, all the way south, and that is a lot of travel since from Miami they have to come back to the north, where one of our most popular suppliers is located. Weird.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Not sure if it's still called "Smart Post" but USPS/FedEx has a lower-cost, lower-priority option that's about worthless.

USPS send the package to the nearest FedEx hub where it sets in a trailer until the trailer is filled with enough small packages to warrant delivery.

It can take up to ten days for a trailer to fill and get the truck on the road.

When it gets to the destination hub, it can again set for days before the low priority packages are unloaded and routed to the appropriate US Post Office. This also can take a few days.

Who wants to wait 15 to 21 days for items that shipped from a few states away? Probably nobody.

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
FedEx and UPS have taken a lot of business away from USPS by being more efficient. For me, going to the Post office is like pulling teeth - slow clerks, inefficient, unresponsive and unwilling to listen to suggestions. And why should they? Their job is secure - can not be fired for incompetence.
Slow, inefficient, unresponsive and unwilling to listen to suggestions? Unfortunately, you just described half of the American work force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread