Welp, I've become a vaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jRedBeerd

Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Hey guys.

First off thanks to all who make this forum possible. I've never found better resources for learning online than well managed forums with members and mods who care.

My vaping journey starts off a little different than most. I actually used to chew (dip) tobacco. Grizzly strait and mint a can a day.
Well I went camping with my buddy and all weekend he was puffing his vape and I was intrigued, but not exactly blown away. My boss hated that I chewed and refused I do it at work so I'd taken to using the disposables here and there.
Anyway my friend ends up long story short part owner of this local vape shop.
A couple weeks later I broke a molar on a lousy almond and decided my chewing days were numbered.
So I stopped by my buddies shop and $70 later I was an official vaper.

I haven't looked back since... I've been vaping for about two months and only had a dip less than a handful of times when drinking for the hell of it.

They started me off with a decent setup:
Smok brand eGo twist 1100 mha
Kanger T3 tank
Charger and Case

Definitely a respectable setup for a first timer... I'm glad I knew these guys and they steered me away from a cheesy headshop starter kit from china.

I've since upgraded to a dual coil 1.5ohm tank. I think it's called an X2? Similar to the vivis though.

So I'm already geeking on this vaping stuff... I can feel it in my bones that this is going to become a hobby. Last time I felt this way a couple of bag seeds my girlfriend wasn't taking care of turned into a garden worthy of part-time job status and going on 3 years now.

I've ordered most of what I need to start DIY juice.

And I'd LOVE to get a mechanical mod... I think it's definitely the end game in vaping right now. I've got my eyes on some $20 fasttech knock-offs and I'm sure I'll be ordering one soon.
Also would love to try an RBA asap.

Problem is I know of nobody else in my personal circle who vapes, and even my buddies at the vape shop are not that into it. They like the blow and go of their ego twists and have pretty much left it at that. So you guys are my new friends who vape lol.

Also, I'd REALLY like to nail down an automatic setup like the disposables. I've seen an Auto-ego I would buy but at 600mha for $25 it seems overpriced though I'd still probably pick one up. I WANT HANDS FREE VAPING ON THE JOB!

So anyway, that's basically my whole story, setup, and christmas list in one LOL.

Thanks and pass along any links, advice, stories etc!

Dextris

Oct 12, 2013
Athens, GA, USA
Welcome!

You sound very enthusiastic, I really hope you grow a love for vaping and really get a good grasp on everything that is the world of vaping. You're further along than I am certainly, and I'm getting my first eGo (1000 mAh) twist tomorrow with some Kanger T3s clearos. Super excited. I imagine you're more so, a mech is always awesome.

TruckDrivinMama

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2013
CA, USA
Hi jRed,

Congrats on the switch and welcome. Ive tried the 600 ego autos youve mentioned. Its nice to dangle it and vape hands free but im a chain smoker myself. The battery was short lived due to constant draws. I get about 30 draws max with a small Boge carto on it and it needed recharging. I wanted more and gave into a bigger battery as i became a long term vaper. IDK just my opinion.

Maybe get lots of extras of those auto batteries for work. The Boge carto that PBusardo recommended on Youtube was really good though. It was a small black one. Good Luck!

jRedBeerd

Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Thanks Dextris. I still use my T3 because it's light and vapes cooler than my dual coil, I think you'll enjoy it.

Really only 30 puffs Truckmama? That sounds pretty disappointing... Yeah I'm a construction worker and always feel like an ... coming to a full stop to take a few pulls off my vape when before I could just pop in a dip and other guys hang cigs out of their mouth. So i'm determined to find the holy grail of hands-free somewhere...

Cartos are something I've never even sampled. I think they'd be nice for on the go, different flavors, always fresh etc. though. I hear alot of Boge they must be the way to go in cartomizers?

Thanks for the replies :)

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Great story! Welcome. I hope your interests will infiltrate the vape shop, because they really should have someone on hand with those skills and interests!

Also, I'd REALLY like to nail down an automatic setup like the disposables.... I WANT HANDS FREE VAPING ON THE JOB!
GrimmGreen has some good things to say about Smokeless Image's Volt, if you like a cigalike style auto. With a PCC charging might not be a problem. (NOTE: I haven't used it, myself.)

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Great story! Welcome. I hope your interests will infiltrate the vape shop, because they really should have someone on hand with those skills and interests!

GrimmGreen has some good things to say about Smokeless Image's Volt, if you like a cigalike style auto. With a PCC charging might not be a problem. (NOTE: I haven't used it, myself.)

I have tried the Smokeless Image Volt w/PCC set up and agree it's a good cig-a-like style Auto for use at work.. etc.

Welcome to ECF! Looks like you're off to a great start. :smokie:

I'm new to the forum, or at least posting, but I wanted to say congratulations on the switch. I, myself, am a little more than 2 months in. I can't see myself EVER smoking another cig. Keep it up! The community aspect of it all helps keep me going. That, and there's like 5 B&M stores within 15 miles of my house with lots of new toys and liquids for me to try!!!

TruckDrivinMama

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2013
CA, USA
Really only 30 puffs Truckmama? That sounds pretty disappointing... Yeah I'm a construction worker and always feel like an ... coming to a full stop to take a few pulls off my vape when before I could just pop in a dip and other guys hang cigs out of their mouth. So i'm determined to find the holy grail of hands-free somewhere...

Cartos are something I've never even sampled. I think they'd be nice for on the go, different flavors, always fresh etc. though. I hear alot of Boge they must be the way to go in cartomizers?

Thanks for the replies :)

Me too. I have my hands full on the job. One on the steering wheel and the other on the shifter and rarely could vape unless at a red light. It sucks when i need my nic fix. Have been looking for a small cig a like with usb passthrough batt so i could plug it into my MVP unit and dangle it hands free. Joyetech sells thin batts with passthrough capability. Same width as a cig a like but slightly longer. Have auto capabilities but i hope you have lips of steel to be able to dangle it and vape. My lips hurt after coupla seconds after dangling it.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
Hi jRed,

Congrats on the switch and welcome. Ive tried the 600 ego autos youve mentioned. Its nice to dangle it and vape hands free but im a chain smoker myself. The battery was short lived due to constant draws. I get about 30 draws max with a small Boge carto on it and it needed recharging. I wanted more and gave into a bigger battery as i became a long term vaper. IDK just my opinion.

Maybe get lots of extras of those auto batteries for work. The Boge carto that PBusardo recommended on Youtube was really good though. It was a small black one. Good Luck!

30 puffs from a 600 (650?) mAh ego is way under what it should be doing. It's either well down on capacity or it is not charging correctly.

A normal vaper (if there is such an animal) should get at least 5 or 6 hours moderate vaping out of that battery. Something is broken!

(The rule of thumb is 100mAh per hour of vaping, depending on how hard you used it. YMMV)

unslaved

Oct 9, 2013
OH
Congrats on quitting snuff, I to just started vaping a couple weeks ago and gave up snuff to start vaping. I had been using smokless tobacco for 7 years. A buddy of mine that I work with got me into vaping. He has a Provari setup. I myself went with a Vision Spinner VV, and Kanger Evod. Got some Bobba's Bounty coming in the mail tomorrow from Alien Visions.

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
I have a KR-808 kit with mini-clearos that I bought for stealth vaping. It's a generic version of Halo's G6 kit: Electronic Smokeless Cigarettes G6 | Halo Cigs

You can also get a pen style drip tip for most any tank with a removable drip tip or ciga-likes and/or use with a carto for hands free. The little drip tip easily pops off my setup so hands free doesn't work for me but I didn't smoke hands-free either so that wasn't a consideration for me.

jRedBeerd

Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Haha lips of steel... I can grip a 600mAh with the plastic T3 in my teeth no prob now that they're not rotting away, if only I could press the button with my nose...

I checked out GrimmGreens review of the volt and it looks like a decent setup, although feels a little like a step backwards or at least in another direction at the $100 price point to get fully dialed-in.

I think I'll probably just bite the bullet and end up spending the dough onOne of these with a t3 mini.

Who knows, there's a ridiculous amount of options...

I just keep trying to use what I've got for as long as I can stand until I've saved enough compared to tobacco to make my next purchase and break even again lol

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I checked out GrimmGreens review of the volt and it looks like a decent setup, although feels a little like a step backwards or at least in another direction at the $100 price point to get fully dialed-in.
It does seem more expensive. I do recommend checking out a variety of equipment reviews before deciding, if at all possible. :)

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
The lightest cig-alike for hands-free vaping are disposables like the NJOY but unless you are independently wealthy they really aren't a practical solution.

Several people have posted that they are successfully using their Joye eRolls for hands-free vaping. The eRoll is a bit heavier than the disposables but smaller and lighter than the normal rechargeable cig-alike. Get an extra cone so you will have two fully assembled batteries that you can swap out to charge in the 1,000 mAh PCC case.

The eRoll packs a great punch for its diminutive size but it won't produce as much vapor as more powerful devices. You may well find the eRoll works best if you up your nic level when using it. Also, the eRoll juice cartridge is quite small so you will need to carry an Innokin U-Can or something like a small pill container with extra cartridges.

kmac8907

Oct 15, 2013
California
Congrats on the switch!
I have been trolling the forum for a couple weeks now, but finally registered so I could participate instead of just stalk :)
I have a new 650 mah EVOD battery that I love, but I use it with a protank so its pretty heavy. Keep looking around, Im sure you will find something that works for you, there are thousands of options and new setups born everyday! Anything has got to be better than having your teeth rot out of your head!

jRedBeerd

Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Hey guys just thought I'd check back in and get my last noob post handled.

So since I posted last, (Geeze only two weeks ago it looks like), I've purchased a mechanical mod and an RDA lol the opposite of the hands-free automatic we got to talking about.

I got a helluva deal on a Cigreat KK mod that matches the color of my orange truck haha.
Also picked up a trident clone RDA

For my first build I realized my cheap battery wasn't going to handle anything sub-ohm so I only built 1 coil at 1.0Ω 3-4 wraps of 28g on double 2mm silica.

I finally got a decent battery with an 8c rating so I went ahead and rebuilt for dual coil with a similar length of the 28g kanthal giving me a .5Ω vape I've been really enjoying.

Had a few problems with the KK mod's firing button which is probably another story, but ultimately seemed to be mostly my fault (Pocket firing) though I found the mods craftsmanship lacking in that the contact points are not readily accessible and once inside found that part of the mechanism is plastic and had melted a tad... :/ Anyway I promise I'm being quite safe checking available voltage on my batteries and being wary of their temperature etc.

That's what I've been up to. Vape on folks

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
...Had a few problems with the KK mod's firing button which is probably another story, but ultimately seemed to be mostly my fault (Pocket firing) though I found the mods craftsmanship lacking in that the contact points are not readily accessible and once inside found that part of the mechanism is plastic and had melted a tad... :/ Anyway I promise I'm being quite safe checking available voltage on my batteries and being wary of their temperature etc.

If the temperature of your mod got so hot so as to melt plastic you are not vaping safely. You might want to consider building higher resistance coils that you can use with something that will provide a measure of safety such as a Kick 2 or a VV or VW/VV device with built-in battery protection.

This build should give you all the vapor and taste that anyone could want and it can be used with devices with battery protection built into the electronics.

jRedBeerd

Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I think you misunderstand. Im pretty sure i ran my device (in my pocket) for much longer bursts than would be considered reasonable. None the less, the plastic piece is attached to the arc spring which closes the circuit therefore firing my mod. I think its lousy Chinese construction and should probably be writing a negative review of the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread