what about nicotine free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda49

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2009
Diamond, MO
I have only been attending the CASAA meeting for a few months, so please excuse me if this has been discussed before. I'm wondering if when CASAA reps talk to the political powers that be. If they showed them how it works but with nicotine free liquid. Could they really object to that?
Not all the addiction is to nicotine. Part of it, for me anyway, is having some thing to do with my hands. Probably putting something in my mouth is part of it also.
Possibly the people would be more receptive if they could understand that e-cigs can and are used with no nicotine as well as with nicotine?

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Hi linda49,

We do use the availability of and the fact some vapers do use non-nicotine e-cigarettes to address some specific objections, but they still have many other objections that the absence of nicotine doesn't address, such as:

- We don't know what other toxic chemicals are in them besides the nicotine and the toxic anti-freeze chemical the FDA found
- We don't know what illicit drugs may be used in them
- There's no guarantee there is no nicotine since the FDA and other testing has found traces of nicotine in cartridges marked as "no nicotine"
- It looks like smoking, so it may cause smokers to think it's ok to light up, which will cause problems enforcing the smoking ban
- It looks like smoking so it sets a bad example to youth
- There's no evidence that they are effective for smoking cessation
- There's no evidence that they are safe alternatives to smoking
- They aren't FDA-approved

Since those objections apply to e-cigarettes regardless of nicotine content, we tend to use the non-nicotine e-cigs as a response to specific complaints about ones containing nicotine or as an example of how they may be used to wean from nicotine without giving up the familiar habit NRT doesn't address. However, as you can tell from the list above, non-nicotine e-cigarettes still face a lot of opposition regardless.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Hi Linda49:

Your idea is a good one, and not to be dismissed simply because "it has been tried." When you say "CASAA reps" do you realize that CASAA is not just the 9 volunteer members of the Board of Directors? You are CASAA. Anyone who wants to keep these miraculous (to me, anyway) products available and legal to use everywhere is CASAA.

I once suggested that everyone on e-cigarette-forum make an appointment to talk with their elected representative about their experience with using the products and show them how it works, demonstrating if possible so the law-maker can see first-hand that vapor doesn't linger like tobacco smoke and that it definitely doesn't smell like smoke.

If there is proposed legislation in your area that would limit sales or use of smokefree e-cigarette, then it is vital to do this. It's easy for lawmakers to ignore even a ton of emails. But when folks show up in person, it's harder to dismiss what they have to say.

Your state-level representatives all have offices within the district they represent, so you don't have to travel to the state capitol. Your Federal-level Senators and Representatives also have offices within their districts. The Senator who represents you might have his/her office half a state away from you, but your Representative will have an office within driving distance. Keep in mind that you might have to wait, because they divide their time between the Capitol and their District offices.

If you can't go in person, consider writing a personal letter that you send by snail mail. Again, these have a much better chance of being read than email messages.

Feel free to use any of the information that you find on casaa.org in your communications.

Here is a copy of the latest update to the list of scientific research on smokefree e-cigarettes.

View attachment Electronic-Cigarette-Research.pdf

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Vocalek,

That's a great document full of some good information, CASSA is really coming a long way and with all the help everyone is providing hopefully our Govt, FDA, and the rest will some day soon see this is a great alternative to smoking and stop fighting it and join to help people get off of the cigarettes with the use of e-cigs. Looks like CASSA is really compiling together some great information here and referencing all they possibly can to fight this great cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread