What are rebuildable atomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
Miami Mom pretty much nailed it.

You have to make your own coil and wick in an RBA. Nothing is made for you, its a device ready to accept a wick and a coil. The advantage of it is you can make the ohms resistance yourself, to any resistance u want. And replace it when its gunked up very cheaply. Like 2 or 3 cents for a new atty head making it yourself, instead of paying $1.50 to $2.50 each

kinkolinko

Verified Member
May 17, 2013
United States
Hello. I'm kind of new to this myself, but I believe that you can be talking about two different rebuildables. There are the ones with a tank connected (genesis style i Think) and juice is usually wicked by a stainless steel mesh instead of silica wick. They are supposed to taste really good because of the lack of burning flavor, but are a PITA to get to your sweetspot. Next are the rebuildable dripping atomizers (RDAs) which I am totally in love with now. These use a wick and you build your coils to your preference. These drippers have much better flavor than cartomizers IMO. You can easily get your builds down below 1 ohm for some intense vapor and flavor production. These setups are usually used on mechanical mods (with no circuitry on them) since many electronic mods will not fire atomizers that are below 1 ohm.

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
So I have a Ego Twist and a Sigelei Zmax could I use this on either? or would I just have to have the ohms higher than 1ohm?

You can buy an IGO-L for 10.98

Check out Vapor Joe's blog. These IGO-L's are easy to build coils on, cotton/silica/ ss mesh....

TEMCO----buy 100 feet of 30 gauge kanthal wire here. I paid $5.96 with free shipping

XC- 116 ceramic wick (KILN TREATED) is the best wick material you can find...its not cheap $14 for 2 feet (BIG TEX VAPOR....they might have sold out...it sells FAST)

its all u need.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Yes and yes. Keeping the resistance above 1.5ohms is your safest bet. I actually enjoy 2.0ohms or above with the power of the ZMAX.

Cyberwolf, wouldn't he need a voltage meter though to check his coil ohm first? I'm not sure whether a Sigelei Zmax can check ohms or not. I use my Provari on all coils I make because it has safety features. I tend to worry about building coils and not having safety features because I don't have a meter to first test them on. Just saying. If you build a coil and don't have a meter to test it or a mod that has built-in safety features, then don't build a coil. But maybe those mods do. I dunno. :)

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
In other words, don't go out and build a coil and slap it on an Ego battery without a meter to test it first. There are some things you have to consider. I always worry when I hear newbs talking about building coils and they might have no clue what they are doing. lol. sorry. Then again, maybe the Sigelei Zmax can read ohms and will shut down if the coil is bad. If so, then great. Just saying...safety first. Study up before you rebuild coils on whatever battery you all are using. Rebuilding coils is for advanced users.

Last edited:
Cyberwolf, wouldn't he need a voltage meter though to check his coil ohm first? I'm not sure whether a Sigelei Zmax can check ohms or not. I use my Provari on all coils I make because it has safety features. I tend to worry about building coils and not having safety features because I don't have a meter to first test them on. Just saying. If you build a coil and don't have a meter to test it or a mod that has built-in safety features, then don't build a coil. But maybe those mods do. I dunno. :)

Yes my Zmax can read ohms not sure if it will shut down if coils are bad but I assume it would. Been looking at the RBAs they seem a little more practical but a lot more expensive anyone know of any decent ones less than 120 bucks?

Semantics will confuse people all the time. The actual vaping definition of 'rebuildable' does mean exactly as posted here - an atomizer you can strip right down to the coils and re-wick and re-coil. The term is also used by people when talking about just replacing the atomizer portion (with new wicks and coils already in place) instead of throwing the whole delivery device (like a clearomizer) away and buying a new one.

We probably should use 'replaceable' when talking about replacing the atomizer in the deliver device vs rebuildable for those that do 'rebuild it from the bottom up, so to speak.

Which way you go is your choice. I would love to be one of those hands on, good tool user and be able to rebuild an atomizer if for no other reason then once I had made the investment in the few needed tools and supplies I would be saving lots of money and could pat myself on the back. I did try one time, with a bit of wick and coil and lots of tutoring from a friend but quickly found out that neither my eyesight or hand-eye coordination was up to the job. That's not to say its hard to do but in my circumstances I pretty much ended up with the coil around my finer and the wick in my ears. It does cost only a few cents to rebuild the atomizer - but remember that you have an initial investment of some dollars depending if you already have the right tools for the job and your wicking and coil. At a few cents a rebuild its a while before you recoup your investment and see your savings.

However, taking apart my clearomizers, tanks etc and cleaning them and, as necessary, replacing the atomizer saves me a great deal of money too. Its also very easy to do because someone else did the coil, wick and testing part. Depending on the atomizer I can replace mine for anywhere from less then a dollar to only a few dollars. This is a great deal less then buying a new one once cleaning alone just does not do the job.

People also mean by 'rebuildable' or 'replaceable' that you an strip down to clean it well and keep it going even if you never get into to atomizer replacement in you delivery system.

There are also 'disposables' which can be re-used (refilled) a bunch of times and even cleaned (but as they do come apart not as easily or well) and when they start tasting bad - you just toss them. Even though they might have a price tag of less then a rebuildable or replaceable atomizer system they end up costing the most because the length of time you can use them is limited. For example, I can pay $8 for a disposable CE4 clearomizer and even with washing it out and giving it a dry burn the longest I can make it last is 2-3 weeks and then its into the trash. For $10 dollars I can get a 'rebuildable' one which I can take apart, wash and when the atomizer gets really glunked up so that washing and a dry burn is not the answer I replace the atomizer which cost me less then a dollar each and its like brand new. (And if you rebuilt the atomizer it a delivery system that offers those parts it would only new pennies). I have 5 clearomizers I have had now for the better part of a year that I just replace the atomizer when necessary and save myself a bit over $9 each time.

If you go to You Tube you can watch many video's on rebuilding atomizers and replacing them which will help give you an idea of what people are talking about.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Yes my Zmax can read ohms not sure if it will shut down if coils are bad but I assume it would. Been looking at the RBAs they seem a little more practical but a lot more expensive anyone know of any decent ones less than 120 bucks?

There are alot of cheaper decent rebuildables. I have 2 of the Igo-l. Check out YouTube reviews for there are so many that wont cost your life savings. Lol

Semantics will confuse people all the time. The actual vaping definition of 'rebuildable' does mean exactly as posted here - an atomizer you can strip right down to the coils and re-wick and re-coil. The term is also used by people when talking about just replacing the atomizer portion (with new wicks and coils already in place) instead of throwing the whole delivery device (like a clearomizer) away and buying a new one.

We probably should use 'replaceable' when talking about replacing the atomizer in the deliver device vs rebuildable for those that do 'rebuild it from the bottom up, so to speak.

Which way you go is your choice. I would love to be one of those hands on, good tool user and be able to rebuild an atomizer if for no other reason then once I had made the investment in the few needed tools and supplies I would be saving lots of money and could pat myself on the back. I did try one time, with a bit of wick and coil and lots of tutoring from a friend but quickly found out that neither my eyesight or hand-eye coordination was up to the job. That's not to say its hard to do but in my circumstances I pretty much ended up with the coil around my finer and the wick in my ears. It does cost only a few cents to rebuild the atomizer - but remember that you have an initial investment of some dollars depending if you already have the right tools for the job and your wicking and coil. At a few cents a rebuild its a while before you recoup your investment and see your savings.

However, taking apart my clearomizers, tanks etc and cleaning them and, as necessary, replacing the atomizer saves me a great deal of money too. Its also very easy to do because someone else did the coil, wick and testing part. Depending on the atomizer I can replace mine for anywhere from less then a dollar to only a few dollars. This is a great deal less then buying a new one once cleaning alone just does not do the job.

People also mean by 'rebuildable' or 'replaceable' that you an strip down to clean it well and keep it going even if you never get into to atomizer replacement in you delivery system.

There are also 'disposables' which can be re-used (refilled) a bunch of times and even cleaned (but as they do come apart not as easily or well) and when they start tasting bad - you just toss them. Even though they might have a price tag of less then a rebuildable or replaceable atomizer system they end up costing the most because the length of time you can use them is limited. For example, I can pay $8 for a disposable CE4 clearomizer and even with washing it out and giving it a dry burn the longest I can make it last is 2-3 weeks and then its into the trash. For $10 dollars I can get a 'rebuildable' one which I can take apart, wash and when the atomizer gets really glunked up so that washing and a dry burn is not the answer I replace the atomizer which cost me less then a dollar each and its like brand new. (And if you rebuilt the atomizer it a delivery system that offers those parts it would only new pennies). I have 5 clearomizers I have had now for the better part of a year that I just replace the atomizer when necessary and save myself a bit over $9 each time.

If you go to You Tube you can watch many video's on rebuilding atomizers and replacing them which will help give you an idea of what people are talking about.

This is what I am currently doing and I dont mind buying coil replacements cause they last me a pretty long time with cleaning and dryburning. I am just looking for something with better performance.

There are alot of cheaper decent rebuildables. I have 2 of the Igo-l. Check out YouTube reviews for there are so many that wont cost your life savings. Lol

I dont know why I thought this but I was thinking that RBA meant that it had a tank attached to it. Lol the Igo-l looks nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread