What are the Primary Concerns about Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOPOO_Official

Brand Manager
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2016
shenzhen,China
voopoo.com
Since the gradual popularity of vaping, there are several serious concerns about vaping:

1. It will reduce or possibly even destroy cigarette sales in most countries.
  2. It will greatly harm federal tax revenues, as cigarette taxes will be reduced, and it is hard to tax an as-yet harmless substitute.
  3. It will destroy State and City tax revenues, as cigarette smoking prevalence falls. As more smokers switch to vaping, States will see revenues fall correspondingly.
  4. It will destroy the MSA funding for States. These funds pay for enormous salaries for Attorneys General, and State employee pensions currently, so you can see that some voices will be screaming in pain.
  5. It will destroy the pharma front groups and fake charities that depend on the cigarette sales gravy train. The CEOs of many of these fake charities earn $1 million a year plus. Look it up. By god they are screaming now.
  6. It will raise costs for pensions, because smoking (they say) kills smokers an average of 10 years early; but vaping doesn't kill anyone except there are some accidents. Therefore, ten years of pensions will have to be paid for the millions who won't die early.
  7. Vaping will destroy the smoking economy: the $1.5 trillion a year money machine all those listed above have their snouts in.
These are the most serious concerns with vaping. Health-wise, some people might get a serious cough for a couple of days.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
1) With all the hoopla about underage vaping there is a growing movement to crack down on the industry. Online sales are too often nowhere near as secure as they could be, meanwhile consumers are reluctant to go through strict verification processes.

2) Governments have begun to impose taxes and fees on vaping products. That will offset some of the reduction of revenue but again consumers aren't real keen on the idea of being fleeced again.

3) Is it really all that safe? Studies over time are starting to prove the vape device is indeed much less harmful than inhaling tobacco smoke. Yet too many are touting a notion of how vaping is nearly completely safe. The 95 percent number is tossed around more often than it should be yet. The results just aren't there yet. All things being equal would help. But some vape no flavor, some vape a thin sauce while others prefer a thicker one. Some like sweet, others like pastry. Too many variables to really get a firm grasp on the real harm (or lack of). Ceramic or cotton wicks (or rayon etc) and the variety of metals heating up juice. In the 1950's and 60's asbestos was seen as harmless until decades later when mesothelioma was pinpointed directly to the one time deemed "safe" insulation. Lead paint, fiberglass, pvc pipes holding city water.....

4) Nicotine has also been shown to contribute to issues over the long term. Now time will show if it can be directly correlated with inhaling nicotine laiden tobacco smoke or if in it's pure state in vape inhalation.

5) Public perception of vaping in general. Thanks to the cloud machines signs now include vaping with no smoking language. Since I started vaping I have observed peoples habits and see a lot more people vaping than smoking. And when standing at a bus stop or outside a restaraunt people tend to walk a wider circle around the big vape cloud than the cigarette smokers all huddled up like misfits awaiting the government to swoop in and arrest them for contributing to global warming.

6) Juul. The miracle device that has likely helped more people refrain from smoking than anything before it has also done more to give vaping a bad rep than anything prior. Thanks to targeting a youthful market and being available at millions of gas stations it has become all the rage with an underage crowd. That is leading to reactionary politicians deciding it's about time they stamp out this new scurge sweeping the US (while plenty people die monthly from opioids.)

7) Big money. I honestly believe vaping is a great alternative to smoking. But now that it has become a big money industry that has led to the potential of fakes and knock offs that may also lead to safety issues. That is probably my number one concern. In my 55 years on the right side of the grass I have seen a whole lot of good hobbies, sports and past times become ruined by big money. And once giant corparations get involved it ends up that profit outranks value.

Last edited:
Reactions: susieqz

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I agree with the OP issues thoughmu focus is perhaps more selfish. I mostly just want to become one of those people who lives 10 years longer.

My personal concerns:
1.). Attempting to streamline out any non corporate control of vaping materials and technology.
Corporations by definition are literally forced by circumstances to take the lowest possible path. That path often ends up with dead or maimed customers. As one of those customers I am not happy about this.

2.) Prevalance of ethically and factually questionable scientific support.
Non-neutral, non-rigorous, and effectively pre staged studies designed to support the interests of their funding sources vastly outnumber true scientific studies on the subject. Partially because the fake stuff can be produced a lot faster and more cheaply. This stuff come basically from every direction.
The BT anti-vaping stuff is one example, but protonated nic products also seem to me to be, while potentially very promising, still a far more complicated, less studied, and more potentially dangerous a technology than people are being led to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread