What building tools do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
So I have been buying up a decent stock of RTAs over the past few weeks, and today it hit me. I have no building tools. My question is this? What exactly do I need. Should I buy one of those fancy Coilmaster all-in-one kits? Should I just buy items seperately? I am having a hard time figuring out what are necessary items, and what things are just kind of extra (nice to have, but can live without). Any guidance would be appreciated.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Wire cutters, ceramic tiped tweezers, screwdriver, scissors, needle nosed pliers and something to wrap the coil around.
I'm not an expert builder but I think that's what I had in my first tool kit.
I got my Kit at Vaporl for $4.00. Good luck!

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Scissors for cutting wicks are a key item. Personally I like the ones with slightly curved blades. They are sold on-line as embroidery scissors or surgical scissors and various other names.

These are great. Thin pointy blades. Currently out of stock but there are lots of similar items on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Grafco-2653-...rafco+2653&qid=1595127588&s=industrial&sr=1-1

Other than that you need a set of pins to wind coils on. Common sizes like 2.5mm and 3.00mm. You can buy sets in various places. There are also little gadgets that supposedly make it easier, but I didn't find them helpful so I went back to wrapping around a pin. Actually I just used drill bits for years, but the mandrels you buy for vaping are easier to hold.

A propane torch is useful. You can heat the wire before you wind the coil, makes it less springy and easier to wind, and also burns off any oil left from manufacture. Coils can be spaced or contact. If you want to make contact coils you can compress them with tweezers and heat them with the torch, makes them stay compressed.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I can't find the V4 Kit. The newest I am able to see online is the Coil Master V3 DIY Kit.

The Coil Master V3 is exactly the same kit I purchased when I started building Mate.
    Everything is in there to make you a professional coil builder just like me;)
    I haven't needed to purchase anything but that to keep me happy winding coils:)

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    Nail Clippers
    (For cutting wire).
    It can be tricky trimming wire down after fixing a coil onto a build deck. Snapping it of by bending in one way and the other usually works fine but sometimes it doesn't snap off short enough. Any excess overhanging wire could lead to a short. Nail clippers are pretty useful for trimming off this excess wire.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    So I have been buying up a decent stock of RTAs over the past few weeks, and today it hit me. I have no building tools. My question is this? What exactly do I need. Should I buy one of those fancy Coilmaster all-in-one kits? Should I just buy items seperately? I am having a hard time figuring out what are necessary items, and what things are just kind of extra (nice to have, but can live without). Any guidance would be appreciated.
    From my research: buy a kit man, buying individually will cost you more. I bought a cheap kit for like equivalent of 10$ and I'm doing fine, only thing it was missing was scissors but I'm just using tiny nail scissors I had in the house.
    Your kit should contain: coil rod or rods depending on the system (for wrapping wire), scissors, wire clipper/cutter, ceramic tweezers, little alan keys + flat and cross screwdrivers, small wire brush to clean coils.
    Bent mini tweezers for precise wicking would be a good thing to get, I often struggle with wicking as I don't have them but I manage with my ceramic tweezers anyway so not absolutely crucial. Oh yeah and coil trimming tool (for cutting legs to size) would be nice. Also small standard metal pliers (needle nose) for heavier action are a good thing to have.

Loads of stuff will come with tanks or with coils (vandy vape tosses in coiling rods into some of their pre-made coils, tanks often come with screwdrivers and alan keys, some tanks arrive with coil leg trimming tool)

Redbird11

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    From my research: buy a kit man, buying individually will cost you more. I bought a cheap kit for like equivalent of 10$ and I'm doing fine

Many folks use coil readers but they aren't necessary if you have a decent regulated mod. Just use the mod to read your coils and you'll save yourself space and money.

I like the idea of saving space. Do you happen to recall what kit you purchased for about 10 bucks or so?

Redbird11

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    All of the above so I wont repeat but a useful tool I needed was a magnifier glass. Helped being able to see those fiddly screws.
    Hey, one thing I actually have! Thanks for the suggestion, I imagine it would be useful for building.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I like the idea of saving space. Do you happen to recall what kit you purchased for about 10 bucks or so?
    Just make sure you get ceramic tweezers inside, not metal or plastic junk so you can remove hotspots while pressing the fire button, and adjust coil without having to worry about anything

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Reactions: Redbird11
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread