What do i wrong with the RTA's, suggestions welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

becosemsaida

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2012
Portugal
Hi all, have been vaping since the early times and due to stress/problems etc. etc. i fell again in the stinky trap. Lasted for 3 years and now i'm back to vaping. I have some (good) hardware from my days so i'm set for mods (Therion 75C and Therion 75) and i have some RTA's. Now all was stored clean and in the box, no coils and away from the heat and dust. After getting base/aromas etc. etc. i made some coils and all exited started my new journey. Here is where things go (very) wrong and just for giggles i will only mention 2 RTA's: Zeus X (dual coil) and Pharaoh, originals. The Zeus after building worked well for about half a tank and it started leaking flooding the base....... Checked the wicking, new wick, checked all the o-rings and replaced them all. Second attempt: half a tank and flooded base (i hate drinking juice). Checked here and the internet and tried the "hammer mod"...... All new setup and half a tank and flooded again, i am suspicious that the inner bell has too much play and thus it will create air coming in. Didn't find anything about it. Oh well i have the Pharaoh, good as new. Thing leaks like a siff, back in the box too. Now i have several RTA's that i don't mention here but all are leaking, over time i know things get used and there is play everywhere, not repairable. Last resort was using my (beloved) KylinM and this is working flawless. So i'm not new to building (heck i used to rebuild carto tanks) and i am pretty sure that my (simple) coils and wicking are acceptable. No fancy XPTO coils, just plain ss316 elite 26g. Is there a solution other then buying new atty's? Because i love mesh i bought another KylinM and after some reviews bought a Kylin Mini V2, know the Mini has to be perfectly wicked but i don't see a problem there. So i'm basicly waiting on the delivery guy and have my KylinM doing overtime. Would like to get at least my Zeus X working like it should but i am lost. Things have changed in 3 years: lots of drop-in, pre-made coils, pods (tanks with drop-ins??), squonk (dripper in reverse??) and no more nic here in the UE. I was 0% nic when i stopped vaping and now i am starting all over with 10mg. Any help will be apreciated.

Beco

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Zeus X:
3mm ID coils. Wicks need to be tight inside the coils. Don't comb them out, just fluff 'em up and tuck all the way down the juice ports.
If that doesn't help, increase wattage. It's a powerhungry little sucker after all. Switching to 24ga might be advisable as well

Pharaoh:
Infamous for being a leaker due to design flaws.
Best stored in the trash can.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Yes Zeus x need lot of cotton exactly as @mimöschen said....my self I have tried stuff the cotton very tight in there and still was able to keep up... it just wasnt the saturated vape I want want correct...but not dry hits at all...
Also the o rings on the top fill cap of the Zeus x....
my Zeus was brand new but maybe was sitting on storage on vape shop for long time and when I first used it the top cap inner oring....the smaller one I mean was already stretched and I used one of the spairs and I didn't had any flooding u can also use some onrings that are for the inner chamber...they are a little thicker but can work for the top cap if u don't have the proper one's of.......u will make it work...
Assuming tho your don't have the gap problem on top...cause u said u hammered it but did u saw the gap close for sure??? It's just a problem that can be fixed tho....
I am pretty sure u will make the zeus x work without leaks...it's very easy...

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    After being stored and not used for a while, o-rings might dry up a bit. Lube them up a little with some eliq., and lube up new o-rings before installing. This may or may not solve your problems, but it's a good idea.

Reactions: Superuser187

becosemsaida

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2012
    Portugal
    Thanks all for the replys, this forum is still what it used to be.

Well i retired the Pharaoh to the other pile of non usable, thing had worked well for a few times, RIP....

As for the ZeusX, i took it all apart, washed it all piece for piece, put the "new" o-rings on it, fresh build, too much cotton and tried again...... still leaking with half a tank, full it doesn't leak. So next purchase will be diapers for the ZeusX. Used to be a nice tank but i think that it didn't age very well.

Got vapemail today, so new toy (Kylin mini V2). Put in the coil that came with it and its a very power hungry little atty. At 45W it gives me a nice vape but it eats the batts..... So made my own coil from SS316 and coiling against the clock is not so easy as people make it appear. Ended up doing a regular coil, bit longer legs and this thing is wonderful. At 230º and 35W it gets the misses screaming that i fog up the room....... Flavor is very good with half the airflow open. I'm just a KISS kind of guy and fancy coils with xpto strands of metals is not for me, simple coils are still the best. So for now i have two mesh and one single coil atty, should be set for the next months.

I'm really set on vaping again, not just for health/money reasons but also for the hobby it is. Tinkering with stuff, experimenting and trying out is what i missed. 48H without a cig. i know the first week is the hardest but i did it once i will do it again.

Beco

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    As for the ZeusX, i took it all apart, washed it all piece for piece, put the "new" o-rings on it, fresh build, too much cotton and tried again...... still leaking with half a tank, full it doesn't leak.

I do not have the Zeus X but the Zeus X Mesh. I remember something about a leaking issue and found this. Seems the inner chamber from factory may not be seated correctly.

I hope this link will help you if this is your problem.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Thanks all for the replys, this forum is still what it used to be.

Well i retired the Pharaoh to the other pile of non usable, thing had worked well for a few times, RIP....

As for the ZeusX, i took it all apart, washed it all piece for piece, put the "new" o-rings on it, fresh build, too much cotton and tried again...... still leaking with half a tank, full it doesn't leak. So next purchase will be diapers for the ZeusX. Used to be a nice tank but i think that it didn't age very well.

Got vapemail today, so new toy (Kylin mini V2). Put in the coil that came with it and its a very power hungry little atty. At 45W it gives me a nice vape but it eats the batts..... So made my own coil from SS316 and coiling against the clock is not so easy as people make it appear. Ended up doing a regular coil, bit longer legs and this thing is wonderful. At 230º and 35W it gets the misses screaming that i fog up the room....... Flavor is very good with half the airflow open. I'm just a KISS kind of guy and fancy coils with xpto strands of metals is not for me, simple coils are still the best. So for now i have two mesh and one single coil atty, should be set for the next months.

I'm really set on vaping again, not just for health/money reasons but also for the hobby it is. Tinkering with stuff, experimenting and trying out is what i missed. 48H without a cig. i know the first week is the hardest but i did it once i will do it again.

Beco

Ofc u can do it....and if u feel it's hard maybe pump up your nic levels a bit for start...u know u are not new to this just saying....
    About the Zeus u probably put it on shelf...but I was wondering why leaking only with half a tank and I wonder in case u want to check it one last time...
    Maybe there is a very small crack on the glass on the upper side and when there is juice the thickness of it kinda seals the crack but when the juice goes lower then it can draw air from that crack...
    Just a theory in case u want to check it one last time....
    Also the gap on top that u hammer it maybe not closed all the way...
    Anyways u got kylin now and seems u are set to gooooo...
    No excuses to stay out of cigs :p

Reactions: becosemsaida

becosemsaida

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2012
    Portugal
    What's the PG/VG ratio of the juice you are using? These RTAs usually require a thick juice, like 70/30 or higher.

Yep, 70/30 is what i use. Now i have narrowed it down with the ZeusX the inner bell has an o-ring that doesn't close it up completly so i have always air coming in the tank. Now i am suspicious, since it only leaks with half a tank or less that the pressure is just too much and my wick can't handle the juice flow. I have it in the box hibernating for now.

Now i am using the Kylin M and bought a Siegfried (i know big tank but vapes nice) and i have another Kylin M new in the box.

Remember my vape stuff is already more then 3 years old without any usage so i expected to have some issues and i was ready to invest some €.

All is good for now, thanks for the help.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    The inner bell oring don't seal the juice part of the atomizer...this oring if don't seal good u won't get much flavour I guess cause u gonna draw air from there and won't go down to the coil...

About the Zeus x maybe u don't care anymore and maybe has a serious defect somehow cause the orings as u say are ok....
    I may have said again by really check the gap that u said u hammered if it's open again or didn't close the gap all the way....

And then just try stuff cotton like u want it to get a dry hit....I am curious ahahshhs...

Take care

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread