Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think it sounds pretty cool actually!! LOL.

There is this board game called "Scotland Yard" I think it is, where you've got this map of London and one person is the robber and the other is like, Scotland yard an there is this immense set of rules where it's like you draw a card, and you can move X amount in X direction and I think the Scotland yard person is visible on the board and the perp is not, and it's super complicated logically but you have to hem down the perp.

It's really fun and I have not played it for too long.

There's also a game called Diplomacy and it's basically a bunch of folks being countries and like, forming alliances with each other then lying and all (you need a game master for it, but that is ALSO a fun position) and well, basically you want to take over the world. It's kinda based on WWII but it is super strategic.

Anna
Diplomacy can spark tension. I played diplomacy once. One of the players was deeply and personally offended when he claimed I backed out of an alliance because I worded it too closely for his taste. It was his house so he kicked me out. I think it was like turn 3. My ride was so afraid to cause offense he made me wait outside in the snow for 4 hours to finish the game.

I don’t associate with miniatures war gamers any more.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LOL my (Finnish) history teacher made us all play diplomacy during the semester on WW2. He was the game master.

Dude, we all HATED each other by the end of the semester. BIG TIME. The daily gatherings at the Map each morning were TENSE. I think ACTUAL weapons were like, discussed. Like, "Ooohhh Anna how about we play PAINTBALL this weekend....." "I think not."

My favorite was the double down assured destruction breakdown of alliances. You make two conflicting alliances and like break them so the other two have killed each other, type thing.

I am really Machiavellian about that stuff, but taking it personal well that is NOT at all good.

My stupid work acquaintance has not called. She said 4 ON PRESIDENT'S DAY and I AGREED.

Am I wrong in thinking she is a total you know WHAT word? I mean, it's the PRINCIPLE of the thing. You don't YOU KNOW even if it's THEORETICALLY like, tell someone you will call in the middle of president's day and then just OH NOT DO IT.

I want her knowledge. Only perhaps I do NOT. Because I've hated her since day one, and maybe her knowledge is NOT for me. But STILL. That's the kind of stuff I get upset about not a BOARD game. I have no clue how to interact with her peaceably now.

Unless her dog or relative died, I'm just going to ignore any calls/emails SOMEHOW.
Gah

Anan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
LOL my (Finnish) history teacher made us all play diplomacy during the semester on WW2. He was the game master.

Dude, we all HATED each other by the end of the semester. BIG TIME. The daily gatherings at the Map each morning were TENSE. I think ACTUAL weapons were like, discussed. Like, "Ooohhh Anna how about we play PAINTBALL this weekend....." "I think not."

My favorite was the double down assured destruction breakdown of alliances. You make two conflicting alliances and like break them so the other two have killed each other, type thing.

I am really Machiavellian about that stuff, but taking it personal well that is NOT at all good.

My stupid work acquaintance has not called. She said 4 ON PRESIDENT'S DAY and I AGREED.

Am I wrong in thinking she is a total you know WHAT word? I mean, it's the PRINCIPLE of the thing. You don't YOU KNOW even if it's THEORETICALLY like, tell someone you will call in the middle of president's day and then just OH NOT DO IT.

I want her knowledge. Only perhaps I do NOT. Because I've hated her since day one, and maybe her knowledge is NOT for me. But STILL. That's the kind of stuff I get upset about not a BOARD game. I have no clue how to interact with her peaceably now.

Unless her dog or relative died, I'm just going to ignore any calls/emails SOMEHOW.
Gah

Anan
That’s the issue with miniatures war gamers. Frequently it’s NOT just a game. For them anyway.

Re. Your work colleague, As someone who forgets things more or less constantly I live in fear of reactions like that.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I forget things too and usually I'm forgiving. But there were like TWENTY emails negotiating the date and time.

TWENTY AT LEAST.

I don't mind if someone is like, "Oh hai, maybe we will chat sometime on president's day...." and they forget.

But this woman is LIKE that. All precise and annoying and twenty emails on work time is kind of a LOT.

There is forgetting (genuinely) vs. "forgetting" and I can tell the difference. Honest. I even checked my work email on my phone (trust me when I say I did not put it there, IT did that) to see if there was any, you know, addendums, that is how INSISTENT she was on that date and time. LOL.

Anna

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Diplomacy can spark tension. I played diplomacy once. One of the players was deeply and personally offended when he claimed I backed out of an alliance because I worded it too closely for his taste. It was his house so he kicked me out. I think it was like turn 3. My ride was so afraid to cause offense he made me wait outside in the snow for 4 hours to finish the game.

I don’t associate with miniatures war gamers any more.
Reminds me of Risk, only that was more like no allies, all war. My brother roped me into playing since nobody else would and I mopped the floor with him. I think that was the only time I heard him whine. He did not expect, at 14, to get his .... handed to him by a 6 year old. I just explained, I have 4 big brothers, of course I understand war!

And that’s why I never learned chess. He refused refused refused to teach me.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Reminds me of Risk, only that was more like no allies, all war. My brother roped me into playing since nobody else would and I mopped the floor with him. I think that was the only time I heard him whine. He did not expect, at 14, to get his .... handed to him by a 6 year old. I just explained, I have 4 big brothers, of course I understand war!

And that’s why I never learned chess. He refused refused refused to teach me.
If you still want to learn a classic strategy game like that may I suggest GO? It has a handicapping system and it’s not exactly as directly confrontational as chess.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh man, Go is hard.

Anyone "put off" by being beaten at Risk deserves a "MR' label frankly. That game is not very hard. It's actually meant for 5 year olds, IMHO. I wouldn't be caught dead playing it... Unless like, I was playing pretentious young men who I bet them that I could win... And I might you know DO WHATEVER they wanted to gamble, because at the end of it, they would be humble and detailing my car, because well, my car is 5 years old and has never been detailed.

I would be very, very happy. It takes real TALENT to lose at risk.

Same with "Words with Friends." I have yet to lose a game of it with anyone I know.

Sadly not that many people will play with me anymore (and certainly not BET) but the husband made the mistake of telling me he would "beat" me and I beat him at every game he knew (I even taught him Mah Jong so I could beat him at that.) To be fair, some of that was like, God gifted since he was so ARROGANT about it....

I Like Games With Smart People... And I'm also really lucky.

To be fair, he fixes stuff and does the taxes. We all have our skillsets, but he severely underestimated me, that's a MAJOR mistake. LOL

ANna

Reactions: Vapedog

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Wow. Talk about getting off topic.

Rida-sidi-ben-ali-happy-crazy-gif-rida_si-40994375-480-600.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread