What happened to my battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterill

Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Lexington, VA
Hey guys,

So I got my new Sony 30A draw batteries in the mail yesterday. I inspected both and they looked good. Today, I vaped for about an hour or so and then when I popped the battery out to swap it, I saw that the bottom of the battery changed colors a bit. The battery still works, in case that helps. There is no discoloration on the contacts (still clean metal). What made this happen? Is it still safe to use? I heard this had happened before, but was unable to find it anywhere using the search feature.

IMG_5325_zps1edfe2cd.jpg

Thanks

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've had a couple of these for a couple of months now and have not had this happen. I just had a look at my two MNKE and one of them has a similar discoloration in the same area.

At first I thought it was wet which would not be good at all! In any case, I'm going to stop using mine until we get some more responses. This could be common, but not worth finding out the hard way that it's not and they are dangerous.

I got the MNKE from a US vendor. I would have to look up which one, but I remember I trusted the supplier to not sell counterfeits.

NOTE: See update in post #5.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
OK, I had a better look at my batteries.

Here is one of the Sony. You can easily see the discoloration though it's much smaller than in yours. My other Sony does not have it.

IMG_2261 Sony discolored - sm.jpg

The MNKE. Bigger patch, fainter, but clearly discolored. My other MNKE has it also.

IMG_2259 MNKE discolored - sm.jpg

I'm thinking this is the plastic sleeve making good contact with the metal battery casing. If this is from battery leakage, there are four out of five examples of it between our batteries and over two manufacturers, Sony and MNKE.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
@ ryedan's request

I haven't a clue folks. I have never seen anything like it myself. How do they meter out and how is their performance? Anything unusual about them besides the discolouration? e.g time on charger, vape time etc...

Thanks for having a look Switched.

Mine are performing no different than before I noticed this. Still the same 4.2 off the charger. No heat when charging at 0.5 amps. Seems the same amount of vape time and time on the charger, though I've never timed this. Just checked the voltage drop on my normal genny setup at my normal 0.6 ohms, which I check monthly and it's the same when freshly charged. And the amp draw is less than 7 amps on 20 and 30 amp batteries.

The more I think about it the more convinced I become that it's just the insulation making different contact with the metal casing. I would never have noticed it if I hadn't seen masterill's post and checked mine. But it would be nice if one other person had seen this before!

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Just had the thought that I'm not even sure the negative end of the metal battery case is a separate part. If it's all one piece and only the positive end comes off, then nothing can possibly be leaking. Figure 1 here shows the case to be one piece at the negative end.

Is this accurate?

That is correct.

Pic of a CGR18650CH when I re-wrapped it.
1%20-%20Bare%20Cell%201.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Both my Panny (the grey one..) and my AW 18650 batteries did this about a week or 2 after getting them, and I've used them for about 7 months now.

I chalked it up to heat-discoloration.

I think they would have had to get pretty hot for the plastic to discolor. What happened?

I know mine never even warmed up past ambient.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
I think they would have had to get pretty hot for the plastic to discolor. What happened?

I know mine never even warmed up past ambient.

No idea. Mine never got hot either, maybe slightly warm if I chain long enough, but not hot. I don't exactly know the effects of heat on battery covers :p not one of my specialties. Since the batteries appeared fine and they were never wet...I just assumed that was the next best explanation.

..Sent from the vape lair..

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Q?

Where these batteries used (discoloured ones) on a bottom button device? If so I would venture a guess of improper button contact.

Good thought Switched. Mine were all used in a K100, bottom switch device, but the switch has never heated up.

It's definitely not heat with mine unless my dog has been seriously chain vaping it while I've been out LOL!

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Good thought Switched. Mine were all used in a K100, bottom switch device, but the switch has never heated up.

It's definitely not heat with mine unless my dog has been seriously chain vaping it while I've been out LOL!

Dang :( I thought I might have stumbled on to something. Oh well... puts thinking cap back on

I have 4 of the sony 18650vtc3 1 of them has also done this same thing. This one battery was in my chi yu clone the lock ring moved in my pocket and caused the mod to fire in my pocket for a few. My mod got very hot to the touch. I also drip so it could be ejuice going into the mod from the air holes on top onto the top of the battery and down in between to cause this discoloration. I am unsure of what caused what but the other 3 are fine. so it may have been the heat I have still used the 1 with the discoloring with no notice of difference in performance between it and the others. would be nice to know for sure what causes this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread