Status
Not open for further replies.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
All of my genuine AW imr batteries have these spots of discolouration after 6 months of use. Some of the spotting is at the mid point of the battery and not the ends.They have only been used in a ProVari. I can be positive that they have not overheated or had liquid spilt on them.
They charge and discharge as well as when new.
My conclusion;
It's just one of those things.....

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Mine just came new in the mail today from HKEquipment in HK. All the RC forums claimed good batteires from HKEquipment. DSCF7438.jpg DSCF7436.jpg DSCF7439.jpg Never been used. I am highly suspicious they may be fakes. DSCF7437.jpg

I don't like the look of the logos..look printed and the seams are are not nice.

Last edited:

HDMontana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Montana
If I remember right, authentic Sony batteries have a nice, straight wrap seam. Also, negative end should be nice and flat with the wrap coming over it. The fakes have a raised negative end with wrap kind of going around it. This is if I remember right. You could do a search of "spotting fake VCT batteries" to see picture comparisons.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Mine just came new in the mail today from HKEquipment in HK. All the RC forums claimed good batteires from HKEquipment. Never been used. I am highly suspicious they may be fakes.

I don't like the look of the logos..look printed and the seams are are not nice.

Which batteries are these? VTC4?

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Which batteries are these? VTC4?

Yes they are VTC4. The logos looked burned in not printed, serial numbers look good, and the negative posts look fine...flat not raised. . So there is a possibility they are genuine. But the seams seem to be badly discoloured as well as the bottom wraps of the batteries. The bottoms are also scratched and on one battery there is even a small tear. Please remember these batteries are like this straight out of the shipping package...supposedly never used..suppose to be brand new. I am trying to sort it out with the vendor, which suprisingly has an oustanding reputation. But its a problem to ship batteries back to HK from Korea, not to mention the time involved which could be months. If I could be certain they were authentic I would just re-wrap them myself.

Last edited:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
This tread has caught my interest since I have noticed (and worried) about the same issue with my VTC5's. Here are my observations:

I have 1 VTC4 purchased in Paris- no discolouration(stronger shrink wrap?)
2 VTC5 purchased in London- 1 has the same issue at the base area like all the others- not over heated-ever!

My charger snaps back and scratchs the shrink wrap with small blemish's and they have the same dark patchs around them.

I believe what you are seeing is just air has gotten into the shrink wrap as previously suggested, in my case where the scratch's were made by the chargers' metal clips and so logically, the darkening around the negative end of the battery is the same effect where the air has (for whatever reason) managed to get under the shrink wrap. No big deal right!!!!

Here is a link to 'Pegasus Academy''s look at 'SONY' batteries and I suggest you look at about 25.00 mins in. Apparently SONY Japan doesn't make our batteries and so they are all fakes made in China!! Check it out:D
Vaping & Batteries: Things You Should Know - YouTube

If you bought some fake, ' fakes' from ebay, even worse!! There is also a video on the same screen as to how to identify them.

Vape How to Identify Real or Fake 18650 Sony VTC Batteries - YouTube

Hope this helps from a newbie!!:p:p

Last edited:

Siochanai

Verified Member
I purchased a few VTC 4's from VaporKings. The batteries are working great in my rDNA but one of them is discoloring like this as well. To me everything about the batteries look legit. Nice thin positive cap lines as well as smooth straight seams and nice flat negative. Serial numbers are lined up even though they do not say Sony31 on a third line. Here is a pic for those interested in taking a look. At first I thought maybe it was ejuice due to the battery in the rDNA being negative up by the 510 connection. No liquid or smell to the battery so not sure what it is. Here is a pic for comparison... Hopefully you can clearly see it is darker near the bottom would love to know what is causing it.

20141007_200609.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yes they are VTC4. The logos looked burned in not printed, serial numbers look good, and the negative posts look fine...flat not raised. . So there is a possibility they are genuine. But the seams seem to be badly discoloured as well as the bottom wraps of the batteries. The bottoms are also scratched and on one battery there is even a small tear. Please remember these batteries are like this straight out of the shipping package...supposedly never used..suppose to be brand new. I am trying to sort it out with the vendor, which suprisingly has an oustanding reputation. But its a problem to ship batteries back to HK from Korea, not to mention the time involved which could be months. If I could be certain they were authentic I would just re-wrap them myself.

Hope you have made out OK with this Waddle!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I purchased a few VTC 4's from VaporKings. The batteries are working great in my rDNA but one of them is discoloring like this as well. To me everything about the batteries look legit. Nice thin positive cap lines as well as smooth straight seams and nice flat negative. Serial numbers are lined up even though they do not say Sony31 on a third line. Here is a pic for those interested in taking a look. At first I thought maybe it was ejuice due to the battery in the rDNA being negative up by the 510 connection. No liquid or smell to the battery so not sure what it is. Here is a pic for comparison... Hopefully you can clearly see it is darker near the bottom would love to know what is causing it.

View attachment 379681

I see it Siochanai. This is exactly the same issue I and a few other people have seen since the beginning of this thread. In post #41 I posted pictures after taking off the wrapper of a MNKE battery that had this. It's nothing to worry about.

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
I've had this discoloration on a couple of my vtc4s. I believe the discoloration is simply the adhesive on the shrink wrap. You can pick up ~50 new wraps for batteries for roughly 7 bucks on ebay. (Very useful if you have a charger that snags the wrap!) I've re-wrapped three batteries so far, all discolored like the pictures in this thread. When the wrap was removed, the discoloration was gone (no residual on the battery).

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Thanks Ryeden. I figure they are genuine, BLF budgetlightforum raves about their reputation. HKEquip said test them for voltage drop which I thought was a knowlegable thing to say. In the end he gave me back 50% of the costs due to the scratches and small tear on the one battery. I've re-wrapped them and there is nothing on the batteries to indicate a leak. I figure, as some have mentioned, it just may be air getting under the wrapper. So overall I'm happy and may even give HKEquipment a second chance. They dealt with it very professionally.

Last edited:

nar0bin

Verified Member
Feb 21, 2014
McKinney, Tx
I don't have any discoloration but I do have these marks. Are these pretty common? The top little circle is from my hybrid adapter. It looks like it's burned in. I never had this "damage" until I stated using a hybrid adapter. Any thoughts? Also, the connection was as flush as I could go and it still made these rings in the top. The bottom seems somewhat normal but wanted to ask the forum.

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
nar0bin wrote: "I don't have any discoloration but I do have these marks. Are these pretty common? The top little circle is from my hybrid adapter. It looks like it's burned in. I never had this "damage" until I stated using a hybrid adapter. Any thoughts? Also, the connection was as flush as I could go and it still made these rings in the top. The bottom seems somewhat normal but wanted to ask the forum."

Are you sure they are burned and not scratched? Maybe you are tightening it down too tight. Burning would indicate to me a short in your mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread