What happened to my battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neohaven

Jun 11, 2009
Sherbrooke, QC
I would also quite like to know about this, I have one Panasonic doing this on a much larger scale, no warping or chips, just what seems like condensation between the wrapper and the bottom body (negative casing) of the battery. Could be a hot pocket on a normal day, have just noticed it today. No weird perf or anything. There is no casing damage whatsoever that is visible from outside. I will be taking off the wrapper soon, checking, and rewrapping if the casing is intact.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just examined all four of my Sony 30 amp batts. They all look fine. I usually run them at .4 ohm. I wonder if the discoloration is from running them at higher resistance. Just a thought.

I can't see how this could possibly be the case Jimi D. I was actually running mine at around 0.6 ohms normally, so though higher than you, not that high.

I really don't think heat has anything to do with this. I think it's the wrapper making better contact with the battery casing after a while. It will be interesting to see what neohaven finds when he takes off his battery wrapper.

neohaven

Jun 11, 2009
Sherbrooke, QC
Oh man, please don't wait on that, I have no control how fast Singapore Post will bring the wrap to me from FT.

That said, there was no drop in performance from that battery, there was no additional charging times, anything. It also really looks like the outside hasn't breached.

It actually looks like it has "stuck" better to the battery, in the "there is now no air here" sense. Sort of what you would expect from condensation stuck there, or just plain better mechanical adherence. Think "saran-wrap-and-saran-wrap" touching.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Oh man, please don't wait on that, I have no control how fast Singapore Post will bring the wrap to me from FT.

That said, there was no drop in performance from that battery, there was no additional charging times, anything. It also really looks like the outside hasn't breached.

It actually looks like it has "stuck" better to the battery, in the "there is now no air here" sense. Sort of what you would expect from condensation stuck there, or just plain better mechanical adherence. Think "saran-wrap-and-saran-wrap" touching.

Don't worry about it neohaven! I'm not worried about my batteries at all. Just interested to hear what you actually find when you take a wrapper off. No rush at all :thumb:

ta2dave76

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Las Vegas
You guys have any new thoughts on this issue? Just got my vtc4's a couple of days ago, and one of them is doing this. I thought maybe I had gotton some juice on it, but it is dry, and there is no "odd" odor....

IMAG1698_zps07c72f66.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You guys have any new thoughts on this issue? Just got my vtc4's a couple of days ago, and one of them is doing this. I thought maybe I had gotten some juice on it, but it is dry, and there is no "odd" odor....

My MNKE and VTC3's with the discoloration are still in use and doing fine. I'm still convinced it's just the wrapper making full contact with the battery casing. No change in voltage drop under load or battery life after an estimated 25 charge cycles since I first noticed it.

BTW, I got a couple of the VTC4's a little while back and they are great. Noticeably less voltage drop than either the MNKE or VTC3.

Vape on :thumb:

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Uh...so what is it doing? From your picture...I just see it laying down in the bay of the intellicharger...or are you referring to the discoloration? The discoloration usually occurs when the battery is hot/warm/heated. I'm assuming you've probably used that battery for sub-ohm vaping, huh?

No one has had their batteries heat up ImThatGuy. Have you experienced heat up and discoloration from that?

BTW, if your battery is heating up while vaping, IMO you've got a serious issue. You're discharging the battery too fast either by going over its max continuous amp rating or because it's old or damaged. I always say if that happens stop vaping immediately and figure it out.

Vape safe :thumb:

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I noticed the discoloration appeared on my batteries after I applied some anti-seize compound to the thread of my mod.

I use Noalox on my threads and get it on my batteries. It's never caused this discoloration to happen. Could be you're using different grease or heat shrink, but I doubt that was the issue with my batteries.

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
Not the battery getting hot/warm, but the contact. He says he vapes at 0.3+ and it is a bottom firing mod. The discoloration is on the negative end which is connected to the firing button. If he's continually vaping at subohms with a bottom firing mod...it could cause the wrapper on the bottom of the battery to discolor.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Not the battery getting hot/warm, but the contact. He says he vapes at 0.3+ and it is a bottom firing mod. The discoloration is on the negative end which is connected to the firing button. If he's continually vaping at subohms with a bottom firing mod...it could cause the wrapper on the bottom of the battery to discolor.

Any one of us who had a switch go up to 200 + F would have known it. The hot contact surface would have had to heat the battery that hot to affect the wrapper and it would also have heated the switch button. It's not heat causing this.

Last edited:

Lifted

Verified Member
Dec 17, 2013
Northern New Jersey
I'd like to throw in my observations as well. My new Sony 18650, 2100mAh, 30A did not have discoloration after the initial partial charge to top it off. It did not have discoloration after removing it from my Nemmy. It did have discoloration after charging for a couple of hours more, but the battery wasn't what I would call hot.

The sleeve also seems very delicate. There is a tear in the side of the wrap about mid way from who knows what. I'm not worried about it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread