what is steeping your e liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
My all day vape is a vanilla cream with a slight hint of caramel and I steep it about a week. To give you an example of steeping, here's a pic of a bottle made fresh which is fairly clear,and some that has steeped of the same juice. I don't care for it near as much until it has steeped. I do think different flavors require different,whether steeping or airing. It's something you sort of have to figure out once you find your all day Vape.
image.jpg

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
I have been experimenting with my diy juices by mixing my flavorings with the pg or vg I'm using for a recipe. I let that sit for a day or two then add my nic base to it and mix it well. I take my biggest syringe and draw the liquid in and out several times and that sets up a mixing swirl in the bottle. That really gets it all meshed together. I then try a bit and if it's not good to go I'll let sit for a few days always giving a light shake now and then rinse and repeat til it tastes like I feel it should. The type of flavorings you are using will also determine how ling it takes for your liquid to reach its full potential. Your vg/pg percentage also plays a big part in the process. For example a mostly pg based juice will take less time because pg carries and mixes flavors quite well and quickly to where vg tho sweet takes longer to assimilate a flavor I believe because of its thickness and natural sweetness. The only thing that degrades nic is excessive heat tho I suppose over saturation with oxygen could also affect it. I agree we should try and begin compiling a guide for all things vapping. It will be a tough go tho due to our greatly varied personal preferences and opinions.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
Since we learned about steeping, quite a bit into our venture using ecigs, we have been trying not to let our supply run too low. I usually check to make sure my order is correct, they put the juices back into the shipping envelope for a week or two, if I can. Some flavors are great out of the mail, others need to steep to bring out the full flavor. You can see the difference in the color of some juices after they have been steeped a bit.

stryfox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
pennsylvinia
Ill add my .02
I have attempted to quit cigarets many times. I can tell you this.
After not smoking for about a month you sense of taste will change dramatically. This could be a big part of something tasting much different especially after a successful month of vaping.
When I smoke cigarets I like mountain dew when I am off cigarets I can't stand how acidic it tastes.

D1RGE.EXE

Nov 8, 2013
SoCal, baby!
So, since I get my bottles in the 30ml size and stick em in my E-cig Stuff Drawer above my desk, and they sit anywhere from a week to 5 months depending on how deep my supply is and what my hand touches when I reach inside.....is that really being considered a "steeping"?

Everyone's bottles of juice should taste better by the time they finish, right?

Should I ask my store for the oldest bottles they have, rather than a freshly mixed batch?

These questions and more...

kidbeaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
New Auburn, WI
I make 95% of my own juices ,but do enjoy getting sample packs from random vendors to sample there juices.
In the beginning when I quit smoking and entered the vaping world, I was sold on steeping. It wasn't until I started making my own juices I started looking at steeping, like why is steeping so important and what actually happens to your juice when you let it steep. Does something magical happen?
I decided to look further into "steeping". I started mixing my juice in glass bottles. Different size bottles from 30-120 ml. I changed my vg and pg ratios as well for different recipes. After making my juice in the glass bottle I would shake it up and then hold it up to the light. You can see it wasn't blended all the way. You can see the different liquids within the juice had different viscosity to them. The The higher PG ratio juices blended faster than the higher VG juices. So I understood the reason for steeping, to give the juice time to blend.
Later I changed my steeping process and started to mix a batch and then dropping the juice bottle in a glass of hot tap water and shaking it up periodically. And WOW... it went from steeping a week to just a few hours.
After trying other ways to warm up my juices I ended up using an old lamp with a energy efficient bulb. I set my juice on top of the light bulb and let it warm up and I'll shake up the mix periodically through out the day. I'll even do that with juices from random vendors as well.

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
Freshly made up juice (particularly in DIYing) benefits from being left for a few days, maybe even a couple of weeks for the flavour to dissipate throughout the juice. Most pre-boughts don't need it though. You can easily leave them for a little while but remember that juice has a shelf-life of about two years so don't leave it for too long!x

The process is use in cosmetic, food and pharmaceutical industries. Emulsification, high shear homogenizer mixer and by ultrasound. It does speed up the process in mixing liquids by at least 95%.

Last edited:
Hello, I am new to the forum and relatively new to the world of vaping. Thanks for all the information provided here, I have learned a lot in a short amount of time. I have been sampling a bunch of new flavors lately trying to find my favorites. I do enjoy sampler packs because what I think I'm going to like and what I actually enjoy are often completely opposite. The thing I cannot understand is why it is up to the consumer to let e-liquids breathe or steep. Shouldn't the manufacturer take this into consideration and not ship the product until it is ready to be enjoyed properly? When I order new liquids I want to use them when I receive them and do not see why it is my responsibility to let them age for some magic amount of time before they taste good. I understand they have a shelf life but holding a flavor a couple weeks before shipping really shouldn't be that big of a deal especially when buying in small quantities.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
The thing I cannot understand is why it is up to the consumer to let e-liquids breathe or steep. Shouldn't the manufacturer take this into consideration and not ship the product until it is ready to be enjoyed properly?

So the folks who prefer their juice fresh would do....?

Anyone who isn't trying a juice right after they receive it either has a large collection of juice already, or they are convinced that something they read on the internet will magically make it taste better if they don't try it right away. (OK, there is a sub-set of people who have already had X juice from Y vendor and they already know they like it better if they do Z to it.)

Any "old timer" on here remembers when all juice came steeped. It steeped in the warehouse, on the slow boat from China, and then steeped in customs, going on to steep during domestic shipping, getting more steeped as it sat in domestic distribution locations before steeping at the vendor's storage before being mailed to the vaper. And that is Exactly why places that mixed up fresh juice and shipped it out quick became so popular.

There's still thousands of gallons of juice being mixed up in China. If pre-steeped juice is a requirement, just order from someone who carries it and you'll never be disappointed.

Always try new juice as soon as you can. If you happen to find that one flavor tastes better after it sits for awhile, you'll know you need to order some of that one flavor before you run out of your current bottle. The vaper next to you might think your taste buds are off kilter because she likes it better fresh.

I know I'd much rather have a green banana than a brown one while a friend of mine would much rather have his brown than green. We can both buy green bananas and get what we want. The only difference is he has to buy his green bananas before his supply of brown bananas is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread