What is the Manufacturing Lifespan of the average product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
After buying a bunch of vape stuff here the last few months, I began to wonder what the average manufacturing lifespan is of the mods and tanks? It amazes me in just a few short months how many products I have seen come to market. In other words how quickly does a product go to market and then get discontinued for something new? It's made me a bit Leary of buying or trying much more. Just curious.... Obviously this depends on how well something performs and sells but how much other turnover is there?

Reactions: stols001

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
It's the discontinued part I don't like. Find something you like you better buy a bunch of them because by the time it fails you may be out of luck. I want my 30 watt Istick back!! Got one left. When it dies its going to be a bad day.
That is what I was getting at. New innovation happening so fast, it could kill any plans at continued manufacturing of current items. Just sort of amazed at the swamp of New items coming to market left and right by so many different entities.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's the discontinued part I don't like. Find something you like you better buy a bunch of them because by the time it fails you may be out of luck. I want my 30 watt Istick back!! Got one left. When it dies its going to be a bad day.
Or do what I did: Buy stuff that isn't likely to fail, and can be fixed if/when it does. Then buy plenty of that, including spare parts.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
That is what I was getting at. New innovation happening so fast, it could kill any plans at continued manufacturing of current items. Just sort of amazed at the swamp of New items coming to market left and right by so many different entities.
Is it really necessary to keep chasing the latest "innovative" product? The gear I vape every day has all been around for at least three years. It's hassle-free, doesn't fail, and has kept me from smoking for years now, so I feel no compulsion to chase the latest and greatest thing.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
Not talking about needing all the newest gear, was just saying I'm fairly new to vaping. The items I purchased initially seemed to almost disappear. Is it shock to what is going on politically? Hoarding perhaps? or market changes and no re-runs or what? Hard to stock up when it's all gone!!!!!! Which is what I've been trying to do to some degree. Maybe I just came into it at an odd time.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Some is changes in the underlying tech of regulated mods, but much, imo, is just marketing. There was huge product turnover in the run-up to mega watt mods with 18 21650 batteries, but the power wars seem to have slowed down. Similar shake out when TC came on the scene.

Getting hardware that does what you need is the only important part. From then on, anything else only needs those specs to work for you. Higher specs can give you room to experiment, which can be fun.

But it's a growth industry, with many companies competing for our $$, and the thinking seems to be there has to be a new latest and greatest every month, whether or not anything but the case has changed. Of course, the case makes the mod - as far as hand feel and visual appeal are concerned :) With claims of new and improved chip sets, they hope to get their share ')

While many of us have been building our vapocalypse stash of hardware and nic, no, I don't think the turn over is due to us or to the current politicaly chaos. The FDA and State and local governments have been chipping away at us for years.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
Some is changes in the underlying tech of regulated mods, but much, imo, is just marketing. There was huge product turnover in the run-up to mega watt mods with 18 21650 batteries, but the power wars seem to have slowed down. Similar shake out when TC came on the scene.

Getting hardware that does what you need is the only important part. From then on, anything else only needs those specs to work for you. Higher specs can give you room to experiment, which can be fun.

But it's a growth industry, with many companies competing for our $$, and the thinking seems to be there has to be a new latest and greatest every month, whether or not anything but the case has changed. Of course, the case makes the mod - as far as hand feel and visual appeal are concerned :) With claims of new and improved chip sets, they hope to get their share ')

While many of us have been building our vapocalypse stash of hardware and nic, no, I don't think the turn over is due to us or to the current politicaly chaos. The FDA and State and local governments have been chipping away at us for years.
Great Post... Thanks for the insight!!!

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
This is a question I have asked in other places and I just don't get it. This industry boogies. Some of the items seem to have a very short shelf time. Here today, gone in two weeks. Others obviously are available for longer periods. I have to imagine that development and tooling costs must be very low for some of these companies to put out so many devices for such short periods of time. Most of my devices have lasted well. I've had a couple of "preme" failures (30 days or less, common in all electronics) but most of my devices are years old. That means a company has to come up with some new wiz bang feature to get me to buy again. It appears that that is the direction of the industry. Start up a new line and drop the old one. I've seen a lot of improvement in many lines in just the past year or so. A few companies have really upped their game in TC. We now have Evolve's replay. Mesh coils in sub-ohm tanks are greatly improved regarding flavor. Both RTA's and RDA's have also greatly improved their flavor output. At the same time I see a lot of bizarre aesthetics, speakers, flashing lights, talking or listening mods, and bubble machines, lol. The selection has also increased greatly. Pods, mini mods, small mods, big mods, monster mods, squonkers, external battery, internal battery, aio, and eieio. Sometimes I feel for new vapers. Obviously all of this stuff can't be selling well but I don't see many companies going out of business so they must balance it out somehow. As far as how to deal with all of this, place your bets, I guess, or just become a member of shinyitus anonymous and meet on a forum once a day.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Innovation IS NOT happening so fast. In fact, it's come to a standstill. These new products you're seeing every other day are the same products you saw a few days ago in a new wrapper. Take SMOK for instance... all their current mods are 230 watt devices... even the 2x700 mod is a 230 watt device. It's the same board with tweaks for different chassis... add an LED here, a color screen there, voila! New product (that's not really new).

Wait until you either NEED a new product, or see something significant change.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
You can still buy them.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Conversely, and in the interest of sufficient backups to outlast the FDA, if a mod or tank satisfies you, get multiples while you can. Don't have to get ALL the new stuff :lol:

I am currently in the process of trying to make space in the garage to set up more wood working equipment so I can make my own mod housings at will. I will then buy a case of raw DNA boards and be set for life for mods. I can make some dual battery, some squonkers, or whatever config I want. Also having the ability to paint or stain them however I want will be nice too.

I just have way too much junk in the garage atm, and need room for a router table, a band saw, and a drill press at a minimum.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I stocked up 2 yrs ago, my stash is Provari's. They last and last. My tanks Kayfuns, some old stuff is still great :) I have enough to vape for the rest of my life. But trying new things is fun, I just ordered an Orion just for fun, not that I needed it :)

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I have a box with 10 sheets of beryllium copper, 20 delrin squonk enclosures, at least 20 ModMaker 510's and a ton of bottles. I doubt I'll ever need them... I did what @Rossum did...bought stuff not likely to fail. When needed, everything gets disassembled, cleaned and polished. I'm glad I like mechs because I can't solder to save my life!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I want my 30 watt Istick back!! Got one left. When it dies its going to be a bad day.

I just ordered 2 iStick 30W mods for $21.87 each with Free S/H, from a very reputable US seller on eBay (has sold 88 of them so far, has all 100% positive feedback as a seller, etc.). He's located in Arcadia, California, and they shipped the same afternoon...due here Monday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread