What is with all the fuss fron non-smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.

quirky

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2008
I wanted to get a feel of how many people are using the e-cig. So I posted about it on another forum I belong to.
I was really surprised by the negative comments of some of the people.

Obviously smokers have been dealing with negative attitudes for a long time. In my guilt, however, I have accepted these comments and let them roll off my back.

But I would think that non-smokers would be encouraging the e-cig as a better alternative. Yet some of the comments make it clear that no matter the actual mechanics of the thing, there will be people who will persist that it is the same as smoking and therefore, in their minds, just as dangerous and disgusting.

Has anyone encountered this attitude from strangers? How do you handle it?

garyl43

May 20, 2008
Utah USA
quirky said:
I wanted to get a feel of how many people are using the e-cig. So I posted about it on another forum I belong to.
I was really surprised by the negative comments of some of the people.

Obviously smokers have been dealing with negative attitudes for a long time. In my guilt, however, I have accepted these comments and let them roll off my back.

But I would think that non-smokers would be encouraging the e-cig as a better alternative. Yet some of the comments make it clear that no matter the actual mechanics of the thing, there will be people who will persist that it is the same as smoking and therefore, in their minds, just as dangerous and disgusting.

Has anyone encountered this attitude from strangers? How do you handle it?
So far everyone that has seen my e-cig thinks it's a great idea, but I'm sure there will always be a prejudice for any addiction.
I remember back when you could still smoke indoors at work. I was having a smoke in the break room one day and a lady I worked with started griping about it. I asked her how she got to work because I always rode my non-polluting bicycle. Of course she drove her polluting car filling the atmosphere with nasty chemicals. Then I asked her if she had a fireplace or woodstove and did she use it in the winter and she answered yes. I told her our town is down in a valley and the smoke from her woodburning stove fills the air with smoke all winter long and I have to leave TOWN to to get away from her smoke and that she simply has to leave the room to get away from mine. :cool:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I believe it's njoy and Crown 7 that are located in Scottsdale, Ariz., and there have been press stories on the Internet of bar and restaurant owners there specifically banning e-smoking now, no matter what the law says. A Google search ought to turn up some of those newspaper accounts that I read awhile back.

Expect news accounts soon of fierce "anti-smoking" attacks on candy cigarettes and licorice pipes.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Jason said:
also remember that some people make a habit of being argumentative when corresponding online. they can spew their piss and vinegar without consequence.

Uh huh, too true. Amazingly we seem to have escaped out share of piss and vinegar on this board, so far....

People's prejudices are so bizarre though. There is a certain mindset that just will not budge beyond received opinion and think rationally about things - I'm sure everybody has this too some degree or another about certain subjects, but some people seem to have their whole wordview fully formed and unshifting. I just don't get it, or in other words "I am so made that I cannot believe"

SJ

I haven't really encountered that yet, but I'm sure it will happen.

I thought it was cute when a non-smoker friend of mine wanted me to keep puffing so she could smell the vapor. She kept saying..."It doesn't stink!!!!!!!!" And she was excited about that. I had to giggle at her. Then she wanted info on the e-cig for her friends who smoked.

I have been trying to a few different models. I want to make sure I recommend good units to anybody who wants to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread